C64 vs Speedvagen

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MAsshole

by MAsshole

fordred wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:06 am
Can I throw Firefly to the mix? I'm surprised it's not mentioned at all.
My guess is that the wait time disqualifies it.

But I could be wrong, maybe he just forgot about them :noidea:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Speedvagen looks sweet. But I'm partial to C64 for how it rides. That said I've never heard of Speedvage or ridden one.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wintershade

by wintershade

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:05 am
Any updates?
No updates yet. I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I'm probably leaning toward the Baum Orbis at this point, but I think the C64 is still in the running. I can't get either out of my head. Fortunately they are different enough that I could reasonably justify owning both concurrently at some point.

I'm going to visit an highly regarded fitter in my area on the 21st, which will help.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

wintershade wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:20 pm
kgibbo1868 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:05 am
Any updates?
No updates yet. I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I'm probably leaning toward the Baum Orbis at this point, but I think the C64 is still in the running. I can't get either out of my head. Fortunately they are different enough that I could reasonably justify owning both concurrently at some point.

I'm going to visit an highly regarded fitter in my area on the 21st, which will help.
You really can't go wrong with either choice! :beerchug:
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Update?

sychen

by sychen

Both?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

micky

by micky

Probably the wife found out about the double and he's escaping for escaping for life.

wintershade

by wintershade

Okay -- way overdue for an update! I decided to do MORE than both, WAY MORE. I'm still TBD on the C64. The one challenge I have with the C64 is they're just kind of common around my neck of the woods. I don't like the idea of having the same bike as somebody else. So one work-around would be either ordering a custom paited C64 (though I'm not crazy about the lack of color choices) or perhaps going with the Blue Art Decor which I've never seen in person.

I have a custom Ti Enigma on the way, which hopefully will be on display (and even win an award) at NAHBS. The original plan was for this bike to be completely over the top. Super Record. Custom leather saddle and bar tap with Campy red contrast stitching. An insane paint job by a local artist in paint pen. Etc. But now we're worried it might not be done in time, in which case I might just leave it bare Ti with some cool bead-blasted artwork and simplier kit, but still eyeing best Campy build at NAHBS.

For my steel fix, I have a Stelbel Rodano Disc, which will be built as a classic winter/rain bike -- full fenders, 30c tires, debating how high to spec the build -- will most likely do Record 12 with some custom built wheels. Color TBD, but probably Stelbel's incredible Campari Red. Unfortunately, due to Stelbel's long waitlist, I won't get my winter bike until summer. Go figure.

Just for fun, I ordered a Bowman Palace R in Jade. I'm going to build it up with fairly mid-level kit (Chorus) and just bang around on it and use it for days I mix my workout into my commute.

Now, I still kind of want a carbon race bike. Part of me says go for the C64 in Blue. Part of me says wait until I get the Enigma and see if/what else I want. The geo of Enigma and C64 would be nearly identical, so I'm struggling to figure out why I need both. Clearly I don't need both, unless perhaps I set them up different.

No.... the wife isn't very happy with me. Especially since I still haven't sold the Canyon Ultiamte yet!

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I am looking forward to seeing the Enigma all decked out!
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

wintershade

by wintershade

Thanks kgibbo. Enigma has been absolutley kick ass to work with. When it comes to custom, those guys let you do thing legitimately custom. The sky is the limit. The challenge we face is I've kept pushing the envelope further and further and now we run the risk of the bike not being ready for NAHBS. While I liked Baum and Speedvagen, when I got to talking to them, ultimately I found the customization options rather limiting. With Enigma, the only limits are my imagination (and lack of patience).

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

wintershade wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:33 am
Thanks kgibbo. Enigma has been absolutley kick ass to work with. When it comes to custom, those guys let you do thing legitimately custom. The sky is the limit. The challenge we face is I've kept pushing the envelope further and further and now we run the risk of the bike not being ready for NAHBS. While I liked Baum and Speedvagen, when I got to talking to them, ultimately I found the customization options rather limiting. With Enigma, the only limits are my imagination (and lack of patience).
We can compare when I get my Baum..... :lol:
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

now you have to build a new room to display those bikes

Eleven21

by Eleven21

wintershade wrote:
For my steel fix, I have a Stelbel Rodano Disc, which will be built as a classic winter/rain bike -- full fenders, 30c tires...
Just out in interest what fork has been specified on your winter build? And how are the mudguards fitting to the fork? Do stelbel have a disc fork with mudguard mounts?

I’m considering a steel disc type winter rig but my only real option for a decent carbon fork seems to be the Enve GRD or Whisky No.9 Road+ (although I suspect Columbus have a road plus type disc fork?)

Hope you can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wintershade

by wintershade

Hey Eleven21 -- Happy to help. I want the bike to have clearing for 32c with mudguards, or 34+ witout. We're going to go with the Columbus Futura Gravel fork. The fork has an axle to crown distance of 380mm so the frame’s head tube gets 12 mm shorter, which I actually kind of like aestheticly.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Thanks for the speedy response. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread as I’m keen to see how each of the bikes turns out.

Just one question, how are the fenders attaching to the Columbus fork. Is there a model with mounts, or do Stelbel add the necessary mounting points on fork crown, legs etc.

I’ve seen that SpeedVagen can somehow modify the Enve GRD fork so that a Honjo fender can be fitted in place of the carbon fender supplied with that fork. The Enve one looks a little short at the rear end IMO. I imagine one would end up with wet feet. Coming from an old steel Mercian with ‘full length’ guards I’d find it a bit of a shame to have to compromise with the said Enve fork (apologies in advance if I’m taking your thread off topic)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com