C64 vs Speedvagen

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wintershade

by wintershade

I am going to buy myself a "dream bike" -- the lead condenders are a C64 or a Speedvagen Custom Road. I'd spec both with SR12 and Bora Ultras or Enve 3.4s. Prices is not really a factor, though perception of "value" does matter somewhat.

I am a long course triathlete, with no intentions of road racing for the time being. The primary use of the road bike would be semi-structured off-season riding outdoors, some of my long rides during race season, and the occasional sportiv. Point is, this bike won't be raced competitively and is more about comfort for long miles in saddle and an appreciation of master crafstmanship.

I realize this is perhaps an apples and oranges kind of question, but I'd be curious what others would choose in my position, and why.

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Well how well do you fit in the Colnago C64 sizing? SV is custom so there is that....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robbyville

by Robbyville

I've never ridden the Colnago so I frankly can't compare. I did briefly think about a similarly equipped Pinarello to my Speedvagen but only briefly. The price point wasn't that different and I was really wanting custom geometry, ability to choose different options such as the carbon seat tube, and paint. Egotistically I also wanted a bike that was essentially one of a kind for my dream bike (which this is). The ride quality is lovely and I've not looked back since receiving it. I haven't done any rides over 75 miles with it yet though to be fair but it's been very comfy for every mile!

Personally, the custom thing has a lot of appeal if you don't mind waiting about 12 weeks. Baum also has a beautiful program and I hear that they're great bikes to ride as well.

Good luck!

wintershade

by wintershade

I have never ridden either bike. But I have spent many hours staring at them online. It would seem the Colagno stock geo fits me just fine, so not sure if "fit" would be the deciding factor. I don't mind waiting. I think getting a C64 would take about as long, and I have plenty of bikes in the meantime.

I do like the idea of having a bike that would likely be truly unique n=1 by the time I'm done with the various customizations that SV offers. But there is also something perfect about a Black or Black/Red C64 with Bora Ultra and SR12, to blend in with all the local dentists.

wilwil

by wilwil

Don't buy a Colnago for your dream bike. Look at Speedvagen, Baum, Pegoretti. There's something temporary about carbon but it is much lighter. My dream Colnago has turned into a nightmare.

glepore

by glepore

The Colnago is likely a better "fast" bike, but the SV will make you smile more. I love Colnagos, have 2, and there is something very special about them, but if I had one bike, it would be something bespoke.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I vote custom, not necessarily SV. It is much more satisfying to have something made for you. Choose custom then choose builder that strikes your fancy.
Less is more.

wintershade

by wintershade

wilwil wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 pm
Don't buy a Colnago for your dream bike. Look at Speedvagen, Baum, Pegoretti. There's something temporary about carbon but it is much lighter. My dream Colnago has turned into a nightmare.
I love Baum's blocky agressive paint jobs, perhaps even more than Speedvagen, and also have a slight preference for Ti's lower weight and corosion resistance (since I live on the ocean), but I live in SF so the trip to Portland is more appealing than a trip to Australia for a factory tour and fitting.

I do hear you on something feeling less timeless about carbon than Ti or Steel. I've always viewed carbon bike as 5-10 year throw-away "maybe I'll crash" race rigs, and Ti and Steel as "timeless" though that hasn't stopped me from selling them and starting over from time to time.

But based on comments so far, I am leaning back to the custom route -- builders I like include Speedvagen, Baum, and Enigma (had an enigma bike order, but dealer/builder went MIA) so I'm starting from a clean slate.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I note that Speedvagen and Baum (2 you're into) have their 'definitive' look or 'branding' ie you know a Speedvagen or a Baum when you see one no mistake.
I love my English, and Rob's in Portland. Waiting is like 2yrs (more than one anyway!) so you need patience.
Less is more.

wintershade

by wintershade

Yes, I like a very strong, definitive look. I can wait 3-6 months, but not 2 years!

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Patience, you may have to take Speedvagen and Baum off your list, and buy that Colnago.
Less is more.

Robbyville

by Robbyville

I did look at Baum as well, but like you I really wanted the full experience with the fitting. Sasha spent almost 3 hours getting me dialed in, and it was equally interesting and fun to meet all the people who would have a hand in building the bike. FWIW from a weight standpoint, you can get your SV fairly light. I didn't try particularly hard and mine is 16lbs 4oz with my Tubeless Alloy Easton's, tool bag, and bottle cages. Still almost a pound heavier than my last carbon bike though!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

dont forget a Parlee Z- Zero
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

If I can toss a name of a builder in the mix to fill the carbon void and yet something bespoke. Check out Crumpton Cycles. Nick's work is pretty amazing. Timeless design and the ride feel to match.

https://www.crumptoncycles.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cwcheung

by cwcheung

Steel is the best. I vote custom steel.