Strange DI2 problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

Hello everybody,
Need advice because I am having some problems with my Dura Ace DI2 9170 group set.
The problem has happend 3 times in the past 2 weeks => 100% charged battery or enough battery percentage left over (green lamp).
Let my describe the problem. Yesterday and the other times i was riding a random gear (53/14 for example) when pushing the button to go to an other gear (53/15) my DI2 just stops working and nothing respond anymore.
The junction box which is installed around my stem doesn't show any lights anymore.
So the DI2 systeem is like totally crashed. Can't use any button of the two shifters and even the button to on the junction box doesn't work/respond.
I continue my ride and around 20 a 30 minutes later my DI2 starts working again. Green lamp on my junction box and the FD and RD are working again.

So to summarize while riding my DI2 stops working for around 30 minutes and then starts working again.

What could be the reason for my problem. I was thinking about:
- Bad battery
- Bad cable
- Bad connection
- Bad junction box
- Software bug and need to update

Any help is welcome!
Last edited by ODC on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Hi,
You can check if cable is corretly install on shifter (use shimano tools to "clip" it).

PyreofFyre

by PyreofFyre

Hi ODC,

I believe that 1sanglier was referring to this tool;

[https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-tl-e ... -tool.html

I would also suggest connecting the bike to the PC, using the SM-BCR2 Di2 Battery Charger. Upon launching the e-tube app, you'll be able to see if all the necessary devices (derailleurs, etc) have been detected and all cables connected as required. This would rule out faulty devices/cable connections.

While in the app, it would be good to verify if the firmware for all devices have been updated.

If, after having done all these, and the problem still persists, perhaps you could borrow/buy a longer length of Di2 SD50 cable and connect that to the junction box (at one end), and connect the other end to all other devices in sequence and test for operatability. In other words, as an example, replace the existing connection to the front derailleur (on the derailleur end) with the other end of the long Di2 cable.

Hope this works.
PoF

haichdot

by haichdot

I'm currently having this exact problem.

batter has been replaced.
All connections checked tight
Any solutions from OP?

Cheers

Jbass

by Jbass

Did you update the software and made sure you have no loose connection?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I had this problem too.

It happened when I left the bike alone for a while (eg. coffee stop).

Getting back on, no gears, everything dead.

After about 10 minutes it all came back to life.

Happened about 5 or 6 times, then disappeared, I never found out why...………...

Rudi

by Rudi

For me the issue was with the Junction B box - always the one that is hidden in the frame! Generally seemed to be to do with a change in temperature, like leaving it outside the cafe in the sun. Came back to life after being inside overnight, or having an ice pack applied to the general area.

When attached to the software it would onlypick up the shifters and the A junction.

Replaced the B junction and no more issues (so far).

Edit - symptoms were exactly as the OP described, no lights on Junction A, no reponses from anything. Only difference was it took a long time to come back to life, then stopped working again the next day as the temperature rose again.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

frankton

by frankton

Sounds like it could be a bad Ewire cable. I would plug the bike into the shimano diagnostic and see what the issue is. I have seen this before and after swapping the ewire, it was good as new.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@ODC: are you in Australia by chance. I understand it’s been really hot over there recently. A couple of years ago at the TDU there were some battery issues caused by excessive heat. Don’t know if that could be a possible issue in your situation, but it’s all I got and doesn’t appear to have been mentioned. Also, if you think it might be heat related, consider how your battery is mounted internally. There’s all kinds of methods in use and sometimes the battery just has no ventilation around it. I know a builder who uses spray foam for filling window gaps in construction to hold the battery in place in the seatpost. No real heat issues here however, at least not like it can be down under. At 40C I would melt for sure. And I think that’s around some of the temps I’ve seen over there recently.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Rudi wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:08 pm
For me the issue was with the Junction B box - always the one that is hidden in the frame! Generally seemed to be to do with a change in temperature, like leaving it outside the cafe in the sun. Came back to life after being inside overnight, or having an ice pack applied to the general area.

When attached to the software it would onlypick up the shifters and the A junction.

Replaced the B junction and no more issues (so far).

Edit - symptoms were exactly as the OP described, no lights on Junction A, no reponses from anything. Only difference was it took a long time to come back to life, then stopped working again the next day as the temperature rose again.
Yes! It was hot when this happened and the bike was in the sun.

I did possibly replace the Junction B, due to a rebuild, I can't remember......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoPho

by MoPho

Have you plugged it into the wall charger while it is dead? If so, do you get an error message blinking on the charger?
If you are getting the error message, it's either junction box A or the battery.
I just had a similar issue and it was Jct A. Would randomly go down, but if I plugged it in to the charger it would come back to life. Diagnostics showed nothing. I even rode with a phone booster battery and the charger in my pocket a couple of times before I figured it out LOL
Shimano told me Jction B is unlikely to totally fail, it would likely be only one of the terminals, and then it would have to be the terminal to the battery for the whole system to go down.