Look 795 Blade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

Leon wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:43 am
I'm not worried about anything. I was just curious. Warranty is accepted by Look 8)

What do you mean by messy on that steerer?
Look at the steerer in the photo you posted ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iankovski

by iankovski

c60rider wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:14 am
iankovski wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:05 am
Hello, guys. Time to buy a new bike. I had a Look 695 SR and I'm very happy despite the AeroPost messy parts. Rode almost 10.000km in 2 years and had no complaints. Since my previous bike was a CAAD9 2010', and it was my very first carbon bike, I love how stiff and comfortable it was.

As my budget is not that big, I was looking for some nice deals on second hand bikes. My preferences was between Trek Madone, Cervelo S5, Look 795/785, Bianchi Oltre.

I found a pretty nice deal in a 795 Blade RS with Dura Ace 11s and Corima Black. The problem is that it's the rim brake version w/carbon wheels and I was more inclined to get a disc one in 2022 since I think it's the best option to resale as I don't want to change bike in the next couple months.

Having said that, what do you guys think? I live in a very flat area, 100km got no more the 500m up. I intend to go to the mountains in the summer but just for the weekend and I don't think I'll be doing in some crappy weather.
I'm biased, but then we all can be to some degree based on our own experiences. I wouldn't hesitate to get the rim brake version. Flat area then disc brakes are pointless and come with far too many compromises to be worthwhile. Rim brakes in the mountains have been perfect for decades at every level of the sport so the very limited time you'll spend there you'll have no problems. And you'll appreciate the reduced weight of the rim brake version going uphill. Ultimately buy what you prefer to own.
Thanks, @c60rider. Do you know about the loosen headset problem also affects the rim brake version or is just something in the disc brake version? Thanks!

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Same stem and upper fork design between disc and rim iirc...

I run a disc version and have not had that issue with version1 of the headset...at 5500miles now. Just one data point.

Others may have a different expereience.

JackWM

by JackWM

iankovski wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:30 pm
c60rider wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:14 am
iankovski wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:05 am
Hello, guys. Time to buy a new bike. I had a Look 695 SR and I'm very happy despite the AeroPost messy parts. Rode almost 10.000km in 2 years and had no complaints. Since my previous bike was a CAAD9 2010', and it was my very first carbon bike, I love how stiff and comfortable it was.

As my budget is not that big, I was looking for some nice deals on second hand bikes. My preferences was between Trek Madone, Cervelo S5, Look 795/785, Bianchi Oltre.

I found a pretty nice deal in a 795 Blade RS with Dura Ace 11s and Corima Black. The problem is that it's the rim brake version w/carbon wheels and I was more inclined to get a disc one in 2022 since I think it's the best option to resale as I don't want to change bike in the next couple months.

Having said that, what do you guys think? I live in a very flat area, 100km got no more the 500m up. I intend to go to the mountains in the summer but just for the weekend and I don't think I'll be doing in some crappy weather.
I'm biased, but then we all can be to some degree based on our own experiences. I wouldn't hesitate to get the rim brake version. Flat area then disc brakes are pointless and come with far too many compromises to be worthwhile. Rim brakes in the mountains have been perfect for decades at every level of the sport so the very limited time you'll spend there you'll have no problems. And you'll appreciate the reduced weight of the rim brake version going uphill. Ultimately buy what you prefer to own.
Thanks, @c60rider. Do you know about the loosen headset problem also affects the rim brake version or is just something in the disc brake version? Thanks!
I bought mine (disc) about 2 months ago from a shop in the UK that sells more Looks than any other here and specifically mentioned the headset issue when buying. They said it can still happen but is less likely these days as they changed the plastic composite on the spacers for 2022 model. I explained the fix I'd read here and they said it's basically correct but that it likely won't happen and is quite rare (still carry tool witha torx when out and about for good measure though), none of their customers in recent memory has had any issue worth calling the shop about. I've only done 100-200 miles so far (mainly due to weather) but no issues!

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Anyone got a good look at the bike under Giro di Sicilia winner? Same model?

Leon

by Leon

Mine is coming together now. Did spend some time today figuring out how many spacers I need. Used one of 10mm at first and that looks nice...but I need 20mm. Now thinking about if I put a small spacer on top or that I take the plunge and make it fit for purpose right away.
Attachments
IMG_20220424_161055832~3.jpg
IMG_20220424_202916041.jpg
Ride bikes, not tanks!

SLH

by SLH

I need some help with the Aeropost3. I'm becoming completely frustrated with the inconsistent tapping coming from the seatpost. I have it tightened to just over 10nm and it's not slipping at all. However, this tapping noise still comes at different times and for no specific reason. Sometimes it occurs going through the gears and then it won't do it. Sometimes it happens when I put extra power down and sometimes it doesn't. I have had the seatpost out twice to re-paste and tighten and it will be fine for about 5 km, then it starts all over again.

Any ideas/tips would be great.
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

Leon

by Leon

Are you sure it's from the seatpost?
Ride bikes, not tanks!

SLH

by SLH

Leon wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:01 am
Are you sure it's from the seatpost?
As far as I can tell. It only occurs when I'm in the saddle and never when standing. I've also had the stem and bottom bracket out and checked.
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

JimV

by JimV

It is defintley the post. Half way through a 6 hour ride yesterday, mine started doing it. Took me a little while to figure it out. It does it when the saddle is weighted, so spinning not pushing hard on the pedals. It is rhythmic, as your wieght shifts slighlty from side to side with the pedal stroke. I had just adjust my saddle height and did not grab the torque wrench just did it by feel, I was under by 3nm. It is torqued correctly now. I will provide follow up. It might rain by me for the next 3 days, so it might not be tomorrow.

JimV

by JimV

Front end creak??

Anyone else having issues with front end creak out of the saddle? I have done paste, no paste, under and over torque on the stem. I even pulled the one spacer and slammed the stem completely. I even lubed the treads on the thru axle. It almost goes away when it is hot outside.

Mine is a 2021 Thai Blade RS disc

kieler2020

by kieler2020

I spent hours trying to find a creaking/clicking noise under power from the front end. It turns out it was the tiny screws holding the Di2 junction box cover on the downtube. The threads were dry and after a bit of grease the bike was silent again.

JackWM

by JackWM

I've done several thousand KM on my 795 since getting in Feb. No seatpost issues I'm afraid and first time I've heard of this - if the shop can verify I'm sure you could warranty? The issue I have had is the headset issue but as most have said, this happens 2 maybe 3 times then settles, haven't had any wiggle since the first few rides.

The dealer when I bought it also did mention about the headset and advised on bringing a torx for the first ride or two but now I don't bother.

Interesting point about the junction box - I get a few creeks but no more than any other bike I've ridden i.e. rotor rub when really pushing uphill but will grease those bolts now in case there is something there.

Leon

by Leon

Well, mine is coming finally coming together. Hope to finish the cables and brake lines tonight (that is a PITA to arrange). Once that is done the rest of the build is peanuts.

I hope I will get spared from all the issues I read here. But I know already that I have to pay some extra attention to some parts and mount / install these with some extra grease of carbon paste.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Leon

by Leon

IMG_20220514_205835027.jpg
IMG_20220514_205844776~2.jpg
Pics with the steerer cut.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com