Look 795 Blade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

I have just swapped out the 110mm stem for a 90mm which is now so much better for me and saved 22 grams with ti bolts over the 110 version.
The 90mm stem weighed in at 210grams i dont know why its so damn heavy i have a deda stem in 90mm on my colnago and its under a 100 grams.
I really do hope they do a carbon version soon.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GeorgeRH

by GeorgeRH

Hello everyone,

I have ordered the new 795 RS disc frameset, chameleon colour and I am currently waiting for it to reach my dealer from Look, and then have it shipped to me.

I have one open question regarding the steerer and the compression plug.

My idea is that for a first ride at least I do not cut the steerer, but use a few cm of spacers just to try the geometry before finally cutting the steerer tube (as one can see in many online reviews of the Look 795, the steerer comes uncut and with a few cm of spacers above the stem). But then this means that if I have e.g. 3cm of spacers above the stem, the compression plug will sit almost entirely above the stem, so when tightening the stem bolts I risk crushing the steerer (as the compression plug would not do its job, sitting way above).

What is the workaround here? In case of a normal round steerer one can find relatively easy a larger length compression plug, but in this case, this is Look proprietary model and I did not find anything larger online except the original one from Look. Any ideas or thought??? Has any of you encountered the same issue and how did you solve it?

Looking forward to your feedback,

George.

JimV

by JimV

gizgaz wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:25 am
Sorry guys I'm back to requesting headset help. I had headset problems with it coming lose. Got the 2.0 expander bolt, which seemed to fix it for about 12 months (2500km)

I took the headset apart to clean up/regrease the spacers, as I could hear a bit of grit had got in there. Now I cannot seem to get the headset to stay tight!
I've tried all the fixes mentioned in these threads (which did work for 12 months).

Now I'm wondering if it's the stem clamp where my issue lies. When the stem bolts are tightened to 5nm the rear of the stem makes contact. So im wondering if my 5nm is just when the two back side of the stem is making contact.

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm if there's a gap between the two sections at 5nm.

I've shone a torch from above so you can see the gap at 4nm and then no gap at 5nm.

Difficult to explain this one. Any advice would be welcome.

This is very old school. You need to find some very, very thin washers and cut them in half or create a shim. The stem is a bit soft, so when you tighten the bolts the stem bends. The washer or a shim will keep the the outside of the stem from bending, and will help keep the pinching surface square.

I have a Blade RS that my dealers has told me has shipped. The only thing is my Sram freinds may not have the parts that I need so, it might be sitting for a while. I am on a 785 Huez currently

JimV

by JimV

GeorgeRH wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm
Hello everyone,

I have ordered the new 795 RS disc frameset, chameleon colour and I am currently waiting for it to reach my dealer from Look, and then have it shipped to me.

My idea is that for a first ride at least I do not cut the steerer, but use a few cm of spacers just to try the geometry before finally cutting the steerer tube (as one can see in many online reviews of the Look 795, the steerer comes uncut and with a few cm of spacers above the stem). But then this means that if I have e.g. 3cm of spacers above the stem, the compression plug will sit almost entirely above the stem, so when tightening the stem bolts I risk crushing the steerer (as the compression plug would not do its job, sitting way above).

What is the workaround here? In case of a normal round steerer one can find relatively easy a larger length compression plug, but in this case, this is Look proprietary model and I did not find anything larger online except the original one from Look. Any ideas or thought??? Has any of you encountered the same issue and how did you solve it?

George.
No No No No.

You need to be at least in the ball park. The only way to do what you are thinking of, is on a trainer so that the stem does not need to be tight. Hydraulic brakes and making changes are a PIA. You need to be dialed in before.

Have you played around with some of the online geometry pages, so you can have a good idea of where the new bike is compared to your new ride?

I have a 795 Blade RS coming in the next couple of weeks, but I am on a 785Huez currently so I already know if I need any spacers and the lenght of the stem.

GeorgeRH

by GeorgeRH

Hi JimV,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I have played with geometrygeeks. I currently have a Cervelo S3 rim version, and a BMC RM02 disc which is going for sale. I know the dimensions I need, and the size and geometry of the 795 allow for that!!!
As seeing many of the reviews for the model come with the steerer uncut and a few spacers above the stem I imagined there is a workaround for this...

If not I guess I will have to cut the steerer when mounting the frame.

Many thanks,

George.

SLH

by SLH

After an agonising 11 month wait for my Sram AXS gear, my new build finally starts next week. Will be interesting to see how the LBS (local Look dealer/mechanic) approaches the stem tightening.
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Can anyone provide a ride report for the 2021 version of the frame? Thinking about getting a rim brake frameset, but am hesitating given some of the mainstream media reviews of the the 2019 Blade RS outright suggested that 'it's not as good as its competitors, feels sluggish and heavy'. I've also briefly talked with someone who had a 2020 disc bike who said it was a disappointing ride.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

zappafile123

by zappafile123

x
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

The 2019 version is heavy by competitors standards as it carries an alloy proproetary stem and a multi- adjistable aero seatpost that Tour Mag has as one of the stiffest.

The 2021 model revised the seatpost with less ajustment for seating position saving 200g iirc.

In addition, the layup went to more Himodulus CF being used and a different layup process saving more weight.

I'm not sure how the layup would affect ride quality but I am very happy with the 2019 disc version.

Wheel selection and tire width would play bigger part in comfort and sensation of getting up to speed/holding speed imo.

The bike is very capable for one hour time trials to 4+ hour rides in undulating terrain.

Have a few test rides if possible.

GeorgeRH

by GeorgeRH

zappafile123 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:11 am
Can anyone provide a ride report for the 2021 version of the frame? Thinking about getting a rim brake frameset, but am hesitating given some of the mainstream media reviews of the the 2019 Blade RS outright suggested that 'it's not as good as its competitors, feels sluggish and heavy'. I've also briefly talked with someone who had a 2020 disc bike who said it was a disappointing ride.
Hi,

There are quite a few reviews, with great shots, for the 2021 disc version. Here you go, they are in french (being a french brand there is no surprise here) but there's nothing google translate can't do.
Enjoy!!!

https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... p-axs-disc

https://www.3bikes.fr/2021/05/14/test-d ... e-rs-disc/

GeorgeRH

by GeorgeRH

GeorgeRH wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm
Hello everyone,

George.
Any feedback guys???

RDY

by RDY

GeorgeRH wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:15 pm
zappafile123 wrote:
Hi,

There are quite a few reviews, with great shots, for the 2021 disc version. Here you go, they are in french (being a french brand there is no surprise here) but there's nothing google translate can't do.
Enjoy!!!

Interesting ... apparently they're back to making them in Taiwan, which they briefly did during the Tunisia facility's downtime a few years ago. From what I understood, the Tunisia factory does NOT belong to them or their parent, they're a partner - so presumably there's been some kind of falling out, or they decided to move the RS to Taiwan for a more advanced layup and EPS.

Applesoap

by Applesoap

zappafile123 wrote:
I've had both versions the 2019 version is slightly more comfy and absorbed vibrations more. The 2021 version feels stiffer and agile at the cost of comfort, however I have recently swapped to 28mm Pirelli tyres from 25mm and it feels almost the same as my previous bike.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

GeorgeRH wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:
Can anyone provide a ride report for the 2021 version of the frame?
Hi,

There are quite a few reviews [...]
Thank you, those links are really helpful - I had not seen them. C'est la vie searching in English eh?

Also thanks to rudye9mr, Applesoap - much apprecaited

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Applesoap

by Applesoap

RDY wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:43 pm
GeorgeRH wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:
Hi,

Enjoy!!!

Interesting ... apparently they're back to making them in Taiwan, which they briefly did during the Tunisia facility's downtime a few years ago. From what I understood, the Tunisia factory does NOT belong to them or their parent, they're a partner - so presumably there's been some kind of falling out, or they decided to move the RS to Taiwan for a more advanced layup and EPS.
You may be right both my 2019 and 2021 bikes were made in Taiwan, also their top-end track bikes are now made in-house in France.