Look 795 Blade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zappafile123

by zappafile123

RoyG wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:45 am
Okay, so I have gotten a Size S frameset. I want to ask you guys opinions and advice, I'm 167cm height and have an inseam of 75cm? And my crouch is just barely touching the top tube, is Size S 51 big for me? My stem is already slammed by the way. Help! Thank you!
I'd probably have gotten an XS. Small is more for someone between 170-176 cm
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

RoyG

by RoyG

rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:36 pm
A few reviewers indicated similar experiences on the tall toptube/standover height..

Once your stack and reach are dialed in, you should be good for frame size...if you go smaller, may get toe overlap.
Alright! Noted on that. Thank you sir! Appreciate your response!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RoyG

by RoyG

zappafile123 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:29 pm
RoyG wrote:
Okay, so I have gotten a Size S frameset. I want to ask you guys opinions and advice, I'm 167cm height and have an inseam of 75cm? And my crouch is just barely touching the top tube, is Size S 51 big for me? My stem is already slammed by the way. Help! Thank you!
Bad news for me right there. Saddle to bar drop is quite low actually. I will see how I can replace it with xs frame.

Applesoap

by Applesoap

RoyG wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:04 pm
zappafile123 wrote:
RoyG wrote:
Bad news for me right there. Saddle to bar drop is quite low actually. I will see how I can replace it with xs frame.
I'm 168cm height and ride a small too! I personally like the look of the 795 slammed.

JackWM

by JackWM

Currently building a Look 795 and had a bike fit with the shop I'm buying through. I am 174cm and Small was just right for my geo so guessing that XS might suit better but doesn't sound miles off. I've been riding a 56 (2-sizes too big) for years and love that bike still so can still be personal preference.

RoyG

by RoyG

Applesoap wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:41 pm
RoyG wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:
RoyG wrote:
I'm 168cm height and ride a small too! I personally like the look of the 795 slammed.
Can you share how your 795 looks? Mine is also slammed, but the saddle to bar drop is low/short and I need more lower stack to get more aero. Thank you for your insight!

Applesoap

by Applesoap

RoyG wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:07 am
Applesoap wrote:
RoyG wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:

Can you share how your 795 looks? Mine is also slammed, but the saddle to bar drop is low/short and I need more lower stack to get more aero. Thank you for your insight!
I think my saddle bar drop is quite decent!

https://imgur.com/eajFhL0

achin

by achin

RoyG wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:07 am
Applesoap wrote:
RoyG wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:

Mine is also slammed (although i put a small spacer so it does not damage the frame to prevent stem contact). I am 5'8" and I ride a medium. I don't think I could do a small due to reach but my fit on the medium is absolutely awesome. My saddle to bar drop is not huge, but the Look 795 has a tall toptube.
Attachments
20210530_143525.jpg

JackWM

by JackWM

Picking up mine tomorrow and overly excited (will upload some pictures when I get a chance) was looking at more reviews and found a Japenese site I hadn't seen posted which is easily the best review I've found in any language. With clearance comparisons to other framesets and even a direct comments on the differences in ride quality bettween 2019 & 2021 frame versions (which no other review describes besides the weights). You'll need google translate but well worth a read, even for existing owners:

https://www.cyclecube.com/mikiya/?p=7736

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

JackWM wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:59 pm
Picking up mine tomorrow and overly excited (will upload some pictures when I get a chance) was looking at more reviews and found a Japenese site I hadn't seen posted which is easily the best review I've found in any language. With clearance comparisons to other framesets and even a direct comments on the differences in ride quality bettween 2019 & 2021 frame versions (which no other review describes besides the weights). You'll need google translate but well worth a read, even for existing owners:

https://www.cyclecube.com/mikiya/?p=7736
Awesome read...thanks and congrats on new bike day

JackWM

by JackWM

Got it home yesterday - big thanks to StrypeStreetCycles in London.

Important part - pretty pictures (gallery) = https://imgur.com/gallery/7fNYgE4
klBZv6J.jpg
Weight (with pedals but without bottle cages) = 7.6kg which I was more than happy with as I wasn't being a weight weenie (by virtue of the money I spent it's mostly very light weight parts still though).

Ride: Only rode it home a few miles so have zero impressions about ride but if weather permits on the weekend will do then.

Why: As per the custom Nike's (which are 2 years old not bought to match bike) = obsessed with Mondrian aesthetic and have wanted a Look for about 20 years after stumbling across images online when 15yrs old. This build was mostly about feel and aesthetics. An all around aero bike that feels as good to ride as it does to look at, can TT for 30mins or ride in for 6 hours. Definitely not for winning races. e.g. I am specifically NOT putting a powermeter on it - this bike is for fun, I have a powermeter on my training bike. I don't want to look at watts when riding this.

The longer part for those interested:

FIT:
All parts were ordered based on a full bike fit from the SSC (which was free when you buy a bike) which saw massive geo changes. I'm 5.7", long in the torso, 65 - 68kg, ftp mid 200's depending on the day.

Old bike to New bike = Frame went from 56 (far too big but got at a 65% discount 6 years ago) to a 51 (S), cranks from 172.5 to 165, Saddle could go up because of crank being shorter, stem went from 80mm to 100mm (had to have a really short stem as previous frame was too big) etc etc.

I would compare the change to wearing an off the rack M&S suit that you didn't try on before buying for 6 years to wearing a made to measure suit from savile row - the fit change is that drastic and that good.

PARTS:
  • Groupset + Wheels: Was meant to be Ultegra and the cheaper WS Black wheels - but availability meant this would be several months out so the shop bought the top end complete bike build from Look and offered me the MCCs + Dura Ace groupset upgrades at a huge discount (£550 to upgrade group and £600 to upgrade wheels), I was going to get the DA rotors anyway so in my mind it was £400 to upgrade from Ultegra to DA... why not. Crankset changed to Rotor due to 165mm crank availability lowered the cost of group by £150 for basically the same weight and makes in more modular. so Ultegra to DA (with a Rotor crank) cost £250.. more than I would have spent on Ultegra. Will end up buying a second set of wheels for when I'm scared to break a carbon spoke.
  • Tyres: I actually don't want tanwalls, these are temporary and will be changed at the 6 week service to a non-tanwall tubeless setup (still P zero) for no extra cost).
  • Handlebars: purely for aesthetics other handlebars are better for the money
  • Saddle: Prologo Pas M5 Nack rails - purely aesthetic to go with the Black/White theme
Happy riding yall!

achin

by achin

JackWM wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:41 pm

klBZv6J.jpg

Weight (with pedals but without bottle cages) = 7.6kg which I was more than happy with as I wasn't being a weight weenie (by virtue of the money I spent it's mostly very light weight parts still though).

Ride: Only rode it home a few miles so have zero impressions about ride but if weather permits on the weekend will do then.

Why: As per the custom Nike's (which are 2 years old not bought to match bike) = obsessed with Mondrian aesthetic and have wanted a Look for about 20 years after stumbling across images online when 15yrs old. This build was mostly about feel and aesthetics. An all around aero bike that feels as good to ride as it does to look at, can TT for 30mins or ride in for 6 hours. Definitely not for winning races. e.g. I am specifically NOT putting a powermeter on it - this bike is for fun, I have a powermeter on my training bike. I don't want to look at watts when riding this.

FIT:
All parts were ordered based on a full bike fit from the SSC (which was free when you buy a bike) which saw massive geo changes. I'm 5.7", long in the torso, 65 - 68kg, ftp mid 200's depending on the day.

Old bike to New bike = Frame went from 56 (far too big but got at a 65% discount 6 years ago) to a 51 (S), cranks from 172.5 to 165, Saddle could go up because of crank being shorter, stem went from 80mm to 100mm (had to have a really short stem as previous frame was too big) etc etc.

I would compare the change to wearing an off the rack M&S suit that you didn't try on before buying for 6 years to wearing a made to measure suit from savile row - the fit change is that drastic and that good.

PARTS:
  • Groupset + Wheels: Was meant to be Ultegra and the cheaper WS Black wheels - but availability meant this would be several months out so the shop bought the top end complete bike build from Look and offered me the MCCs + Dura Ace groupset upgrades at a huge discount (£550 to upgrade group and £600 to upgrade wheels), I was going to get the DA rotors anyway so in my mind it was £400 to upgrade from Ultegra to DA... why not. Crankset changed to Rotor due to 165mm crank availability lowered the cost of group by £150 for basically the same weight and makes in more modular. so Ultegra to DA (with a Rotor crank) cost £250.. more than I would have spent on Ultegra. Will end up buying a second set of wheels for when I'm scared to break a carbon spoke.
  • Tyres: I actually don't want tanwalls, these are temporary and will be changed at the 6 week service to a non-tanwall tubeless setup (still P zero) for no extra cost).
  • Saddle: Prologo Pas M5 Nack rails - purely aesthetic to go with the Black/White theme
Happy riding yall!
Dude that ride looks slick!! Very impressive and the new DA is smokin

I guess they updated the road bars. The old ones looked pretty silly. The new ones look nice.

I love the wheels as well. I wish I could those hoops but they cost an arm and a leg! Hahaha!!!

Enjoy the ride. I love my Look, I am sure you will too!!!

iankovski

by iankovski

Hello, guys. Time to buy a new bike. I had a Look 695 SR and I'm very happy despite the AeroPost messy parts. Rode almost 10.000km in 2 years and had no complaints. Since my previous bike was a CAAD9 2010', and it was my very first carbon bike, I love how stiff and comfortable it was.

As my budget is not that big, I was looking for some nice deals on second hand bikes. My preferences was between Trek Madone, Cervelo S5, Look 795/785, Bianchi Oltre.

I found a pretty nice deal in a 795 Blade RS with Dura Ace 11s and Corima Black. The problem is that it's the rim brake version w/carbon wheels and I was more inclined to get a disc one in 2022 since I think it's the best option to resale as I don't want to change bike in the next couple months.

Having said that, what do you guys think? I live in a very flat area, 100km got no more the 500m up. I intend to go to the mountains in the summer but just for the weekend and I don't think I'll be doing in some crappy weather.

c60rider

by c60rider

iankovski wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:05 am
Hello, guys. Time to buy a new bike. I had a Look 695 SR and I'm very happy despite the AeroPost messy parts. Rode almost 10.000km in 2 years and had no complaints. Since my previous bike was a CAAD9 2010', and it was my very first carbon bike, I love how stiff and comfortable it was.

As my budget is not that big, I was looking for some nice deals on second hand bikes. My preferences was between Trek Madone, Cervelo S5, Look 795/785, Bianchi Oltre.

I found a pretty nice deal in a 795 Blade RS with Dura Ace 11s and Corima Black. The problem is that it's the rim brake version w/carbon wheels and I was more inclined to get a disc one in 2022 since I think it's the best option to resale as I don't want to change bike in the next couple months.

Having said that, what do you guys think? I live in a very flat area, 100km got no more the 500m up. I intend to go to the mountains in the summer but just for the weekend and I don't think I'll be doing in some crappy weather.
I'm biased, but then we all can be to some degree based on our own experiences. I wouldn't hesitate to get the rim brake version. Flat area then disc brakes are pointless and come with far too many compromises to be worthwhile. Rim brakes in the mountains have been perfect for decades at every level of the sport so the very limited time you'll spend there you'll have no problems. And you'll appreciate the reduced weight of the rim brake version going uphill. Ultimately buy what you prefer to own.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

JackWM wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:41 pm

klBZv6J.jpg

FIT:

PARTS:
Happy riding yall!
Definitely a dream bike!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount