C-Bear Bottom Bracket Installation & Creaking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MrMojo

by MrMojo

I looking at buying C-Bear Campagnolo UT 386Evo Bottom Bracket for my Carbon Cipollini NK1K and would just like to ask a couple of questions before as there seems to be conflicting information of installation.

Should I use Loctite, anti-seize paste or install dry? Is there any other installation methods I need to know as the C-Bear website is'nt massively helpful!

Are they a fix for creaking or could there still be a chance as I don’t see how they are massively different to the Campagnolo UT cups? Still pressing in the same bottom bracket shell and they don’t look much wider, they do have an inner sleeve if that makes a difference.

Finally are there any other options out there? Looked at Wheels Manufacturing but they don’t seem to sell this combination.

Thanks.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

C Bear recommend grease, not loctite or a dry fit.
Official cafe stop tester

Stueys

by Stueys

Email Bart at CBear, he’s incredibly helpful. Personally I always use loctite with pressfit, my cbear has been trouble free for 18 months now and counting...

dcorn

by dcorn

I've had a Cbear ceramic BB in my SL4 Tarmac for probably 5 years and not a single noise from it that whole time. The stock Spesh BB cups defnitely creaked. It has been removed and cleaned once I believe, not sure how it was installed though.

Beaver

by Beaver

Just had a creaking C-Bear BB386/GXP which was mounted with carbon paste - maybe teflon grease would have been better?

I will try the threaded Wheels MFG now, as it seems the most solid solution to me and I like the easy to replace bearings.

But that's not compatible with some powermeters...

So there's also a third option from VCRC:

https://www.vcrcbike.com/ceramic-bearin ... m-bracket/

But no Campy UT option I fear. :(

lwk

by lwk

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have used c-bear t47 (obviously threaded) and have been impressed with the smoothness of the bearings and quality of the build.
However, you'll be using PF. Unless you use a threaded BB (like wheels manufacoring) or loctite (blue one, not the red one), you'll probably end up with a creaky BB.

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Thanks for the advice. I’m liking the look of the BB Infinite bottom bracket, looks like I’ll have less possible creaking issues with that design compaired to C-Bear. It’s a shame Wheels MFG don’t offer a 386 Evo UT solution.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

drhex

by drhex

Just be aware that the bbinfinite is an issue if you have cabled shifting and need to get at the cabling or battery. Also, mine was slightly undersized, getting the UT crank in was a bit of an act as it wasn‘t slipfit post install in the frame. Creak free though.

siim

by siim

C-Bear recommends anti-seize. I used one with Shimano written on the tube and so far it's been creak-free. Installing was smooth and easy as well.

sawyer

by sawyer

I've had a C-Bear PF30 Campagnolo UT BB installed in a new build for the past 5 months ... with anti-seize ... not a single creak
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

slake21

by slake21

siim wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 am
C-Bear recommends anti-seize. I used one with Shimano written on the tube and so far it's been creak-free. Installing was smooth and easy as well.
mine was also installed with anti seize, and it's creaking every time I'm out of the saddle.
occasionally I remove the crankset and regrease the spindle, which makes it silent for couple of rides, but then it's creaking again... :evil:

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'd recommend Kogel's Aqua Proof Paste for installing or loctite: https://www.kogel.cc/collections/tools- ... tion-paste

slake21

by slake21

nemeseri wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:11 am
I'd recommend Kogel's Aqua Proof Paste for installing or loctite: https://www.kogel.cc/collections/tools- ... tion-paste
'Shut up Grease'
:D I migh just give it a shot. Thanks!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Shut-up grease is rebranded Morgan Blue AquaProof Paste. I like it for its tenacious anti corrosive properties. But if your pressfit application is such that there is creaking (caused by movement between the surfaces) then you should really be using a retaining compound (Loctite 609, plus Primer Loctite 7649). Applying grease to a creaky fit will just mask the issue for awhile by preventing the “creak” sound as it moves, but it is actually facilitating that movement, and associated wear. The creak will return eventually. That is not what you want. You want no movement and retaining compound is appropriate in these cases.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com