Giordana FR-Carbon / FR-C Pro VS Rapha Climber’s Jersey

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
jeffy

by jeffy

I am needing to get myself a new lightweight Jersey. I have heat *issues* and at anything 20°C / 70°F so for example even with the thinnest mesh baselayer the old style Rapha Pro Team (2018 midweight equivalent) is bordering on too hot (unzipped).

Does anyone have the Giordana FR-Carbon (or 2018 FR-C Pro) & also have the Rapha Climber's (renamed Pro Team Lightweight in 2017) ?

How do they compare? I *think* the Giordana might me significant more "airy" than Rapha as the Midweight Rapha is for mild to warm (UK weather) and i suspeect an italian brand is different. Dont really want to shell out for Giordana's ultra light NXG / NXG Air (thought interested in any feedback about them from owners)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Could check out the Castelli Climbers jersey as well. You can feel the air moving through it significantly more than a standard raceweight jersey - and to my surprise I haven't been sunburned in it yet.

Also why don't you stop wearing a baselayer on hot days?

jeffy

by jeffy

thanks for response and suggestion. i find basepayer (craft mesh) is a comfort thing

wingguy

by wingguy

It's also an insulating thing though. of the jerseys you're looking at, the one that'll keep you coolest is the one that fits well enough that you can ditch the baselayer when it's hot.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

While I have never owned Rapha, You can't Go wrong with FRC, FRC-Pro, or especially NXG. I am a huge Giordana fan, and am ashamed "or proud" to say that I own eight variations of FRC jerseys and two 2017 NXG. The 2016 FRC jerseys are a very thin honeycomb type knit that are super light and pretty see-through, with the stiff carbon threaded sleeve cuffs and waist that don't use grippers. You have to get the size of these just right as the sleeves don't stretch traditionally to fit a wide range of upper arm sizes. They are stiff at the cuffs and either fit or don't. The 2016 models can be had for a pittance on sites such as Competitive Cyclist and Classic Cycling. The 2017 FRC-Pro jerseys are basically the same knit but with much longer Rapha-esque sleeves. The FRC-Pro also utilizes a sublimated FRC logo instead of the sewn on rubber square. It is my experience that the original 2015/2016 FRC jerseys are more durable. The main selling point to me about either are the very stiff pockets. They are backed by tons of those stiff carbon threads and stay high and will not sag no matter how much stuff you put in them. The NXG is my favorite but is just so pricey. They are heat bonded so there is no stitching to speak of. The material is a bit hard to describe though, cause it has very little stretch. The whole thing is very stiff and a little hard/firm to the touch. Again, sizing is crucial on these especially cause if they don't fit they just don't work. The material is very light and airy and durability seems to not be a problem.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

kgt

by kgt

I have a couple of FRC jerseys (older models) and their quality is very, very good from materials and technical details to fit and stitching. I rate them better than Assos jerseys.
Another brand to look at is Alé. Their Piuma jersey is very thin-light-breathable but durable and practical at the same time. See:
http://road.cc/content/review/226386-al ... eve-jersey
IME Castelli is way overrated. These are not made in Italy any more, their quality and technical aspects are not great and their price is the same if not more than Giordana or Alé which are made in Italy.

Shrike

by Shrike

Rapha's flyweight jersey is their 'coolest' jersey now. Have the current version and it's excellent bar one point. Wicks nicely. They have two fits - pro team and regular. If going down that route, get the one which fits quite closely so it wicks like a base. The sleeves are longer in the latest version which I love personally.

On the pro team version, the rear pocket sags with a lightweight essentials case and repair kit in it, so that's my only point of contention. The photo they use on the product page shows the model with an essentials case in the middle rear pocket, not sagging. Guarantee you that case is filled with tissue and not a proper repair kit!

Maybe that's a problem with all these sort of super light jerseys, but thought they were improving. Their aero jerseys are great now compared to before in that respect.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Our club kit is FRC, and i've also got a couple of Rapha lightweight/flyweight jersies.
The Rapha is definitely cooler and feels more airy when its hot (inc "typical" uk hot, not just current heatwave :lol: )
The FRC feels like its ideal operating temperatures are that few degrees lower.
And i dont have any issues with stuff sagging in any of the pockets; maybe i jam them that full!!

I've got some Heroic1One kit from Taiwan, and its very silky feeling- it keeps you cool and has that light feeling to it. Quality is up there with the premium brands, and even with import duty it was comparable to our club kit prices. Excellent to deal with, and was only a few days delivery to the UK. Worth a look at :thumbup:
https://shop.heroic1.cc/?&locale=en
Official cafe stop tester

Stueys

by Stueys

I've only got the Rapha Pro flyweight and climbers jersey (it's previous name) so can't compare. Rapha kit is very nice, light, generates lots of cooling from the front but is still UPV rated on the back and shoulders. Like a lot.

jeffy

by jeffy

just ordered FRC-Pro. Will update thread when done some comparing. Ideally it would be between climber's and Midweight but more towards Climbers. Looked at Pro Team Flyweight recently and the pocket openings have been very slimmed down. Prefer to stuff my pockets that a saddle bag, and it seems that the Giordana pockets are incredible.

NXG Air would be interesting in the sales, ands also noticed there is a FRC Pro Lyte version ....

Will update ...
Last edited by jeffy on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeffy

by jeffy

jekyll man wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:51 am

I've got some Heroic1One kit from Taiwan, and its very silky feeling- it keeps you cool and has that light feeling to it. Quality is up there with the premium brands, and even with import duty it was comparable to our club kit prices. Excellent to deal with, and was only a few days delivery to the UK. Worth a look at :thumbup:
How did you size Heroic1 compared with Rapha and Giordana?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

jeffy wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:26 pm
jekyll man wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:51 am

How did you size Heroic1 compared with Rapha and Giordana?
Its quite generous considering it's "asian fit". From memory there's a size guide on the site, but after ordering they did contact me asking for measurements. They recommended small, and its similar to Rapha small.
FRC- i'm snug small or a slackish med.
Official cafe stop tester

micky

by micky

Used the older generation of FR-Carbon and the fabric of the jersey was the coolest one I used to date.

sfo423

by sfo423

The last couple iterations of the FR-C jersey are a very light fabric. I'm in a similar climate (top heat is usually <75d) and I often wear a base layer under it. The material is not the most elastic but super thin and breathable. My only nitpick is the zipper is not super smooth. Even better are the FR-C bibs.

jeffy

by jeffy

jeffy wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm
just ordered FRC-Pro. Will update thread when done some comparing. Ideally it would be between climber's and Midweight but more towards Climbers. Looked at Pro Team Flyweight recently and the pocket openings have been very slimmed down. Prefer to stuff my pockets that a saddle bag, and it seems that the Giordana pockets are incredible.

NXG Air would be interesting in the sales, ands also noticed there is a FRC Pro Lyte version ....

Will update ...
it is not quite (by a fair bit) as "Airy" as the climbers - but a fair bit cooler than the Midweight Rapha. The fit is VERY supportive, so much so that I would be comfortable enough without a baselayer i think. Will see how it compares (for temperature) without a baselayer.

Happy with purchase, great value. Euro Sleeves ++ :D :D :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com