Tubeless Tire - Big puncture: how big is too big? Patch possible?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
szazbo

by szazbo

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:06 am
If your not carrying plugs with you when you ride then bluntly your asking for trouble. Using the pro one means you are asking for trouble.

. Carry plugs they can be a permenant repair. You need a kit with 1.5mm and 3.5mm thick plugs. That's what I have found works well.
I do carry Dynaplugs and worms from Genuine both. I dont see these as a permanent solution as I have had both come out of the tire and cause another flat. Yes I finished my ride which is what they are supposed to do. The last that that came out was when the bike was hanging on the wall and ended up squirting sealant all over my other bikes and the floor in the middle of the night. Not fun to clean up. Of course these were on ProOne's

by Weenie

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am not sure why some people are getting issues with plugs. I have put many maxalami plugs in without issue all over the tyre. The two that have not been a long term fix were big holes. The last one I could get my thumb into. too big really for a plug to fix them long term. The smaller 5mm to 7mm holes have taken a big plug for the life of the tyre. I have one in a conti tyre holding 80 psi.

Your missing something. Its either the size of the dynaplug your using or those GI plugs which are not very good as they are not tacky enough to hold in a tyre well. I have tried them then searched for a better plug kit.

the pro one also are quite thin. It is possible that tyre like the pro one just find it more difficult to hold a plug. Maybe thats the issue. Tobin also makes it work with dynoplugs so I am not in isolation here. Not sure what tyres he is mostly using at present.

Personally I would change your tyres so something useable. Take your pick of Husthcinson fusion 5, Mavic Yskion, UST, Conti GP5000TL, IRC Formula Pro RBCC or X-guard. they are all plugable tyres. The vittoria corsa Controls G+ tubeless and rubino tubeless tyres potentially good eggs too.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

With worms, twist one revolution upon insertion before pulling out the fork/tool. That will help keep the plug permanent.

zefs

by zefs

You also need to use a worm that is as wide as the puncture for it to work.