Tubeless Tire - Big puncture: how big is too big? Patch possible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

octave

by octave

hi everyone,

setting out quite excited for a long ride this afternoon, i was much disappointed to puncture and see my tires, Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless (700c x 25), begin spurting sealant everyone. the hole is pretty big. a slice about 4mm long.

question 1: how big of a hole is too big to keep using a tubeless tire? the hole eventually was sealed up, and i was able to ride home. it is currently sitting downstairs and i will see if it holds pressure...

question 2: how effective are patches? i noticed Hutchinson makes a road tubeless patch kit, the Rep'Air, that got at least one positive review. does any have any patching experience?

thanks!

o

dvq

by dvq

Question 1: I've successfully ridden 7mm wide cuts till the end of life, but not on sealant alone, with a tubeless plug. 4mm should be fine with just sealant.
Question 2: Save yourself the headache and just get a DynaPlug instead. http://www.dynaplug.com/racer.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Ugxe3fTNo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I use a Genuine Innovations tubeless worm kit, works great. 4mm should be no problem.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’m experimenting with fast curing boat hull / marine sealant as a long-term repair option for tubeless punctures that had trouble sealing. Seems to work really well. This isn’t something that works on the road since it requires about 24 hours to cure.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

SImilar to what others have said, 4mm shouldn't be a huge problem. I've done the Genuine Innovations worms before on 4-6mm cuts and they hold just fine. I keep them in my saddle bag and I'll use them on the road to plug anything that doesn't seal up pretty quick or starts leaking again.

I'm also a fan of putting just a normal glue on tube patch on the inside of the tire for bigger cuts in the 5-7mm or so range. I personally feel better about doing this than the plugs, it just kinda depends on the situation and how much I feel like un-mounting, cleaning, gluing and re-mounting the tire.

Once you start getting bigger than that is where I start worrying about the tire.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

szazbo

by szazbo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 pm
I’m experimenting with fast curing boat hull / marine sealant as a long-term repair option for tubeless punctures that had trouble sealing. Seems to work really well. This isn’t something that works on the road since it requires about 24 hours to cure.
Tobin were you using the 3m 4200/5200 product? and do you have any further update? I have tried twice using a normal tube patch with the area prepped properly on a Pro One and had the patch fail a month or so down the road. wondering if it was affected by the Orange Seal. Now have tried a automotive patch with a built in plug, but it distorts the tire too much where the plug goes through. Maybe next time make the puncture hole round.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

szazbo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 am

Tobin were you using the 3m 4200/5200 product? and do you have any further update? I have tried twice using a normal tube patch with the area prepped properly on a Pro One and had the patch fail a month or so down the road. wondering if it was affected by the Orange Seal. Now have tried a automotive patch with a built in plug, but it distorts the tire too much where the plug goes through. Maybe next time make the puncture hole round.

I haven't had any unsealable punctures since then, but the first one that i spread goop on lasted the remaining lifetime of the tire.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

I've had success resurrecting tubeless tires by gluing center patches from donor tires onto the inside of the to-be-repaired tire and clamping it there for a few minutes. .02

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Plug it if it does not seal long term. If a 3.5mm thick plug when inserted can't fix it then scrap the tyre. If your not carrying plugs with you when you ride then bluntly your asking for trouble. Using the pro one means you are asking for trouble.

Disappointed that a light weight, soft compound tyre has punctured is like saying I am disappointed that my chocolate teapot melted when I put tea in it. Its a tyre, it has air in it under high pressure of course it can puncture. Carry plugs they can be a permenant repair. You need a kit with 1.5mm and 3.5mm thick plugs. That's what I have found works well.

mattr

by mattr

szazbo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 am
I have tried twice using a normal tube patch with the area prepped properly on a Pro One and had the patch fail a month or so down the road. wondering if it was affected by the Orange Seal.
Normal tube patches tend to be too stretchy, they have no structure to them, just a piece of butyl with a feathered edge, means they either move around a lot and peel off, or split, especially with bigger holes. A tyre boot or moleskin works far far better, as they contain the same fabric structure as a tyre. I also make my own out of the sidewalls of knackered old high end race tyres. I have in the past dished them out to other club members.

Marin

by Marin

I have successfully repaired cut sidewalls on very thin tires by sewing them up and gluing a patch of nylon fabric (from a safety vest) on the inside.

I haven't tried this for tubeless though - I repaired a Pari-Moto this way but didn't mount it yet

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have fixed tubeless tyres with an inner tube patch on IRC lined tyres. Worked a charm and lasted a 3000km. I could not get them to stick to schwalbe tyres though.

ms6073

by ms6073

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:53 am
I could not get them to stick to schwalbe tyres though.
Which is all the more ironic considering how hard it is to remove congealed/hardened sealant from a Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire (tyre). :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Hutchinson sells a really good tubeless tire patch, had used it with complete confidence in the past.
You have to remove the tire and patch from the inside, also have to take time to clean the area and apply the patch like we used to repair tubes for tubular tires back in the day.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Hutchinson sells a really good tubeless tire patch, had used it with complete confidence in the past.
You have to remove the tire and patch from the inside, also have to take time to clean the area and apply the patch like we used to repair tubes for tubular tires back in the day.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com