Page 1 of 3

One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm
by ODC
I have an Tarmac sl6 with disk brakes (Dura Ace 9170).
There I already had the Shimano C40 disc wheels from my BMC SLR01 disc my shop installed these for me.
Now i bought a pair of Rovals clx50 at my shop without taking my bike with me. Installed the wheels on my bike and yes brake rub.
Is there always a minor adjustment to make to the brakes when changing wheelsets when not using the same hub?
Some tips to do it myself?

One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm
by Weenie

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm
by rheosibal
Typically yes, minor adjustments are necessary. Were any of the old parts re-used? Or are you using new pads/rotors.

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 pm
by ODC
rheosibal wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm
Typically yes, minor adjustments are necessary. Were any of the old parts re-used? Or are you using new pads/rotors.
Using my old pads but new rotors on the new wheels.
Is it also a good idea to change to new pads?

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm
by kdawg
Leonard Zinn did an article a few years ago about swapping wheels for cyclocross and you can space the rotors with washers to get them all the same.

I guess the conclusion from that is they are all usually differently spaced.

I find if I remove my wheel to put it in the car or something I have to fiddle about to get rid of some minor rub.

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:51 pm
by CarlosFerreiro
I've got 3 pairs of wheels matching. 2 pairs were close enough, one pair needed 3x0.2mm Syntace shims

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm
by LeMomo
Sadly the spacing trick doesn’t work with centrelock rotors!

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:05 pm
by dcorn
I have two sets of wheels for cyclocross and don't get any rub when switching. They do use the same centerlock hub. No noise, no problems. I would think that all manufacturers would have the hub width and rotor mount in the exact same spot, or at least within one or two thousandths.

How often do you change disc wheels on a road bike anyway?

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm
by TonyM
ODC wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm
I have an Tarmac sl6 with disk brakes (Dura Ace 9170).
There I already had the Shimano C40 disc wheels from my BMC SLR01 disc my shop installed these for me.
Now i bought a pair of Rovals clx50 at my shop without taking my bike with me. Installed the wheels on my bike and yes brake rub.
Is there always a minor adjustment to make to the brakes when changing wheelsets when not using the same hub?
Some tips to do it myself?

The same applies also for a switch of rim brakes wheels as you sometimes have to realign the brake pads (and also sometimes switch the pads from aluminum to carbon or carbon Campy to Carbon Lightweight).

The best is that you learn how to do it indeed.

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 pm
by spdntrxi
dcorn wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:05 pm
I have two sets of wheels for cyclocross and don't get any rub when switching. They do use the same centerlock hub. No noise, no problems. I would think that all manufacturers would have the hub width and rotor mount in the exact same spot, or at least within one or two thousandths.

How often do you change disc wheels on a road bike anyway?
I have 4 sets rim brake wheelsets for Bike #1.. so if I get road disc I forsee atleast 2/3 wheelsets depending on conditions.

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 pm
by dvq
TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm
ODC wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm
I have an Tarmac sl6 with disk brakes (Dura Ace 9170).
There I already had the Shimano C40 disc wheels from my BMC SLR01 disc my shop installed these for me.
Now i bought a pair of Rovals clx50 at my shop without taking my bike with me. Installed the wheels on my bike and yes brake rub.
Is there always a minor adjustment to make to the brakes when changing wheelsets when not using the same hub?
Some tips to do it myself?

The same applies also for a switch of rim brakes wheels as you sometimes have to realign the brake pads (and also sometimes switch the pads from aluminum to carbon or carbon Campy to Carbon Lightweight).

The best is that you learn how to do it indeed.
Same, I've never owned two sets of rim brake wheelsets that were perfectly dished exactly the same nor had the exact derailleur fine tuning needed. This is no different with disc. Adjust all your wheelsets to match or deal with adjusting everytime you switch.

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm
by ooo
ODC, do they have the same rotor model?

My Shimano, Formula, Novatec centerlock hubs have the same rotor mount spacing,

centerlock hub + mtb centerlock rotor with big spider - same spacing #1
centerlock hub + mtb centerlock rotor without big spider - same spacing #2 (not equal to #1)
shimano 6-bolt hub + shimano 6-bolt rotor without big spider - same spacing as #2
centerlock hub + road centerlock rotor - no info about spacing

to fix spacing you can use shims. 6-bolts shims are cheap,
Centerlock specific shims ID 35.6 OD 38.9: youtube.com/watch?v=c4N58WYUWRQ
Also, some non specific catalog shims can be found in size 45mm OD 35mm ID

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 pm
by ms6073
LeMomo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm
Sadly the spacing trick doesn’t work with centerlock rotors!
Yes it does, it is just not as obvious where to source rotor shims for centerlock hubs. There was the 'Disc Frame / Multiple Wheelsets - Equalizing Rotor Spacing On All Wheels' thread not to long ago where the owner of November Cycles posted about offering shims for centerlock hubs but there was some backlash from non-US members balked at the shipping prices.

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 am
by LeDuke
LeMomo wrote:Sadly the spacing trick doesn’t work with centrelock rotors!
False.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:14 am
by clm2206
Use Campagnolo wheels
dvq wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm
ODC wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm
I have an Tarmac sl6 with disk brakes (Dura Ace 9170).
There I already had the Shimano C40 disc wheels from my BMC SLR01 disc my shop installed these for me.
Now i bought a pair of Rovals clx50 at my shop without taking my bike with me. Installed the wheels on my bike and yes brake rub.
Is there always a minor adjustment to make to the brakes when changing wheelsets when not using the same hub?
Some tips to do it myself?

The same applies also for a switch of rim brakes wheels as you sometimes have to realign the brake pads (and also sometimes switch the pads from aluminum to carbon or carbon Campy to Carbon Lightweight).

The best is that you learn how to do it indeed.
Same, I've never owned two sets of rim brake wheelsets that were perfectly dished exactly the same nor had the exact derailleur fine tuning needed. This is no different with disc. Adjust all your wheelsets to match or deal with adjusting everytime you switch.
Enviado desde mi SM-J700M mediante Tapatalk


Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 am
by JScycle
LeMomo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm
Sadly the spacing trick doesn’t work with centrelock rotors!
I can't remember where but I saw some centrelock microspacers

Re: One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 am
by Weenie