One thing I dislike with disc brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

I have an Tarmac sl6 with disk brakes (Dura Ace 9170).
There I already had the Shimano C40 disc wheels from my BMC SLR01 disc my shop installed these for me.
Now i bought a pair of Rovals clx50 at my shop without taking my bike with me. Installed the wheels on my bike and yes brake rub.
Is there always a minor adjustment to make to the brakes when changing wheelsets when not using the same hub?
Some tips to do it myself?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Typically yes, minor adjustments are necessary. Were any of the old parts re-used? Or are you using new pads/rotors.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

ODC

by ODC

rheosibal wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm
Typically yes, minor adjustments are necessary. Were any of the old parts re-used? Or are you using new pads/rotors.
Using my old pads but new rotors on the new wheels.
Is it also a good idea to change to new pads?

kdawg

by kdawg

Leonard Zinn did an article a few years ago about swapping wheels for cyclocross and you can space the rotors with washers to get them all the same.

I guess the conclusion from that is they are all usually differently spaced.

I find if I remove my wheel to put it in the car or something I have to fiddle about to get rid of some minor rub.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

I've got 3 pairs of wheels matching. 2 pairs were close enough, one pair needed 3x0.2mm Syntace shims

LeMomo

by LeMomo

Sadly the spacing trick doesn’t work with centrelock rotors!

dcorn

by dcorn

I have two sets of wheels for cyclocross and don't get any rub when switching. They do use the same centerlock hub. No noise, no problems. I would think that all manufacturers would have the hub width and rotor mount in the exact same spot, or at least within one or two thousandths.

How often do you change disc wheels on a road bike anyway?

TonyM

by TonyM

ODC wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm
There I already had the Shimano C40 disc wheels from my BMC SLR01 disc my shop installed these for me.
Now i bought a pair of Rovals clx50 at my shop without taking my bike with me. Installed the wheels on my bike and yes brake rub.
Is there always a minor adjustment to make to the brakes when changing wheelsets when not using the same hub?

The same applies also for a switch of rim brakes wheels as you sometimes have to realign the brake pads (and also sometimes switch the pads from aluminum to carbon or carbon Campy to Carbon Lightweight).

The best is that you learn how to do it indeed.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

dcorn wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:05 pm
I have two sets of wheels for cyclocross and don't get any rub when switching. They do use the same centerlock hub. No noise, no problems. I would think that all manufacturers would have the hub width and rotor mount in the exact same spot, or at least within one or two thousandths.

How often do you change disc wheels on a road bike anyway?
I have 4 sets rim brake wheelsets for Bike #1.. so if I get road disc I forsee atleast 2/3 wheelsets depending on conditions.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

dvq

by dvq

TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm
ODC wrote:

The same applies also for a switch of rim brakes wheels as you sometimes have to realign the brake pads (and also sometimes switch the pads from aluminum to carbon or carbon Campy to Carbon Lightweight).

Same, I've never owned two sets of rim brake wheelsets that were perfectly dished exactly the same nor had the exact derailleur fine tuning needed. This is no different with disc. Adjust all your wheelsets to match or deal with adjusting everytime you switch.

ooo

by ooo

ODC, do they have the same rotor model?

My Shimano, Formula, Novatec centerlock hubs have the same rotor mount spacing,

centerlock hub + mtb centerlock rotor with big spider - same spacing #1
centerlock hub + mtb centerlock rotor without big spider - same spacing #2 (not equal to #1)
shimano 6-bolt hub + shimano 6-bolt rotor without big spider - same spacing as #2
centerlock hub + road centerlock rotor - no info about spacing

to fix spacing you can use shims. 6-bolts shims are cheap,
Centerlock specific shims ID 35.6 OD 38.9: youtube.com/watch?v=c4N58WYUWRQ
Also, some non specific catalog shims can be found in size 45mm OD 35mm ID
'

ms6073

by ms6073

LeMomo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm
Sadly the spacing trick doesn’t work with centerlock rotors!
Yes it does, it is just not as obvious where to source rotor shims for centerlock hubs. There was the 'Disc Frame / Multiple Wheelsets - Equalizing Rotor Spacing On All Wheels' thread not to long ago where the owner of November Cycles posted about offering shims for centerlock hubs but there was some backlash from non-US members balked at the shipping prices.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

LeDuke

by LeDuke

LeMomo wrote:Sadly the spacing trick doesn’t work with centrelock rotors!
False.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clm2206

by clm2206

Use Campagnolo wheels
dvq wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm
ODC wrote:

Same, I've never owned two sets of rim brake wheelsets that were perfectly dished exactly the same nor had the exact derailleur fine tuning needed. This is no different with disc. Adjust all your wheelsets to match or deal with adjusting everytime you switch.
Enviado desde mi SM-J700M mediante Tapatalk

JScycle

by JScycle

LeMomo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm
Sadly the spacing trick doesn’t work with centrelock rotors!
I can't remember where but I saw some centrelock microspacers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com