Garmin Edge 810 or 520

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan512

by Dan512

I am still using an old Garmin Edge 705, and was thinking about upgrading it, without spending a fortune.

A friend is selling his trusty 810 for 100EUR (I like the idea of the touchscreen) or should I stretch to a 520 (smaller, but no touch screen).

I don't really use the navigation features right now, but who knows in the future???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

really depends on what you need.

my 810 is a good size for me.
820 too small
520 too small
1030 too big
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

I got the 520. I also didn't need the maps feature so I didn't care to spend the extra money to "upgrade" for features I wouldn't use. So far I've had no issues with mine at all, though be careful when you go to unplug it, I nearly ripped the little rubber cover off the back when I accidently grabbed it along with the charging cable.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

northwestern

by northwestern

Go for the 520. Touchscreen is worthless if your hands are sweaty. Also, if sweat drips on the touchscreen it goes beserk. I have an 820 and it once reset itself just from a few drops of sweat on the screen.

Also, if you need navigation just use your phone.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The 705 actually has a really nice crisp glass screen with crisp numbers etc. if you’re only just using it as a bike computer while riding and you have enough battery for your needs, I’d just continue using it. If you’re looking for navigation in the future then I’d just take the leap all the way up to the 1030, or whatever the equivalent is at the time. You’ll appreciate the larger screen and battery life. I have the 1000 and it’s fine, so maybe you could get a used one of those. I’d rather have the 1030 now however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I have the 1030 and have really come to like the size. At first I thought maybe it was too big but having that size screen for navigation is really useful, and the battery life of 20 hrs is legit. The only problem is the cost as I think it’s overpriced in the market but that is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Why not look at Bryton or Wahoo?

Miller

by Miller

I have a 520 but I like the look of the 520 Plus for its better mapping options. Has anyone done that upgrade? What do people think of the 520 Plus generally?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Miller wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:21 am
I have a 520 but I like the look of the 520 Plus for its better mapping options. Has anyone done that upgrade? What do people think of the 520 Plus generally?
I considered the 520 plus. The plus has the ability to do proper navigation if you upload maps into it. The thing that turned me off was that the memory on the 520 plus is too small to upload any decent size map. It can only hold a map of a small region. This can be OK if you are staying in a small area. However, I couldn't even get half of Italy uploaded. So it would be useless as a navigation tool on a major cycling trip without deleting maps and uploading new ones as you moved across the country. That would have me counting on internet connections in small hotels in remote areas of various European countries. Yeah right. If you want proper navigation the correct move is to go all the way up to the 1030. But the 1030 IMO is way too expensive.

In the end I just went for the old 520. I just need turn warnings on pre-loaded courses/routes and the regular 520 does this just fine. Not going anywhere remote without a Michelin map no matter what GPS device I have.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Does the 520 Plus have the ability to insert a separate memory card? My 1000 does. Last year in preparation to a trip to France I uploaded the Detailed Euro maps to the 1000, and also all the detailed daily rides which were on RWGPS. All set to go, show up at the airport with bike in tow, only to get turned away due to a passport issue. Canadians are subject to extra scrutiny when they live in the USA. Ha, kidding about the last part. My passport, which was about to expire in Oct ‘17, was no good for travel to France even though I was set to return on Sep 9/17. For France, your passport has to be valid for 90 day’s beyond the date of your departure from France. As such, I had to turn around and come home. I now have a renewed passport with no place to go.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 pm
Does the 520 Plus have the ability to insert a separate memory card? ...

Nope. Testing one at the moment. Does the navigation per the 8xx and 1xxx, but doesn’t have all the 1030 features

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, the extra memory card was essential in order for me to load the extra maps and all the routes I was going to do in France last year. So, if you’re going to use the unit to go overseas etc where different sets of maps may be required the extra memory card is certainly useful.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've had both. My 810 broke off my out-front mount and rolled down a hill, effectively trashing it (I still got $100 for it, if that's any consolation). I have a 520 now. My impressions are as follows:

810 - the touchscreen wasn't a plus, since the unit wasn't as responsive as a smartphone. That said, it was marginally better for navigating, but the 520 isn't bad (even though it doesn't have an SD card slot, I just added maps from openmaps for my area, and it works fine). Also, it lacks a strap (see aforementioned rolling down a hill comment).

520 - It seems "more responsive" and has better GPS functionality (since it has GLONAS, as well). The only real knock is the start/stop and lap buttons are on the bottom, which is annoying to access. Navigation is pretty accurate, and it hasn't had any issues with navigating, unlike the first 1,000 firmware versions of the 810.

If I had the money, I would probably get an 820, simply because it has all the functionality of the 810, in a 520 package, which is nice.

KevinM

by KevinM

I know you didn’t ask, but I had a 520 and hated it. The controls weren’t intuitive so i was always googling how to do things and it took several minutes for the GPS to lock in when i booted it up. Traded for a Bolt and couldn’t be happier. If you just want basic cycling data that is easy to setup (drag and drop on your phone) and controls that are intuitive and easy to use (when it comes to cycling computers, buttons are superior to touchscreens), I highly recommend it. I know several people who feel the same. Might be worth at least checking it, or the cheaper Wahoo stuff without Nav, out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I've had the 520 since it came out, and while I agree that the buttons are counter-intuitive and took me about six months to really get familiar with, it is the perfect size, no touch screen, and I run the normal fields, along with etap gear indicator, etap battery level, HR, Incident detection, and on screen texts, and the battery still lasts all day long.
Never cheer before you know who is winning