PInarello F10 disk - weight vs Tarmac SL6

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
MarkPW

by MarkPW

New here! I've built up a Pinarello F10 disk and it's come out at ~7.8kg, it's a lovely bike but I was expecting it to be closer to 7kg. It has 1k MOST Aero bar, SRAM red hrd wifli groupset and chainset, Mavic Cosmic SL UST wheels (1570g pair without tyres), Dura-ace 160mm rotors, Dura-ace R9100 carbon pedals, 230g Prologo saddle. There is probably 200g to lose with lighter wheels, but I can't see where else I could make any significant reduction.

I'm wondering whether I should swap it for the S-works Tarmac SL6 disc frame as I'm seeing builds under 7kg. Does anyone know how these two frames compare? The F10 is aero and as expected, great on the flats, but I had hoped for the best of both worlds with living in a very hilly area.

Any advice would be appreciated!

by Weenie

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Just ride it ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

Delorre

by Delorre

On wheels alone, you can save 150 gr without too much trouble (enve 3.4 disc for ex), another 100 - 150 gr on saddle is possible depending how far you are willing to go on ww ones. You could save some weight going for speedplays, but here also, it depends on taste. From here, it's more the small things, but they add up very fast : lightweight rimtape (schwalbe blue), light bar tape (deda), extralite expander, shortened seatpost, vredestein latex innertubes, if possible with pitch and standard, some extalite TA's. These small things can add up till 200gr! And Most components are not light! A Uno stem and f.ex Easton ec90 aero handlebar (+/- 330 gr total ) could save you almost another 100gr.

Don't forget to post some pices of the current bike :wink:

MarkPW

by MarkPW

Thanks for the tips Delorre. I underestimated the weight of the F10 frame, forks and seatpost, and as I result, I thought I could get away with 50 grams here and there on components - obviously not! Reading the SL6 disc weighing just 6.5kg is eating away at me, I haven't seen an F10 build anywhere close to that. I feel like I've married and divorced all in one day :D

Will post some pics soon ;)

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Have an F8 and got an SL6. Ride quality, comfort and handling is far better on the SL6 (clocked over 8,000 miles on the F8 to date and about 1,500 on the SL6). The F8 is an amazing bike, yet it falls short of the SL6. Not sure how the F10 compares.

sychen

by sychen

Ride what makes you happy, if it is a S-works Tarmac Sl6 disc then get one.

Dont expect magic though.. yes i'm biased as a a owner of the S-works and yes its under 7kg but there are lighter bikes out there for just weight considerations.

F8/F10s seems to get mixed reviews and seems to polarise opinions on them, would love to ride one and see for myself.

Also ask yourself what is the F10 stopping you from doing? can a Sl6 fix that? or just an arbitrary weight target?
One is a lightish, more aero race bike and the other is a lighter but less aero race bike.

Also for F10s, you can get a lighter seatclamp from berk at 30g if you are still looking for places to lose weight.

hannawald

by hannawald

Pinarello F10 is one of the most beautiful bikes with very good independent aero test results.. some people say it is a bit uncomfortable but other than that it is outstanding. Aero is as important as weight so don't panic.. there will be some wait penalty compared to Tarmac but not 700g, so you must look at other parts than the frameset. Start with wheels, did you wait them? i would not be surprised if they were much heavier than claimed, at least they were in Tourmag test. Than follow Delore recommendations.. don't use ultralight stuff that may affect aero or stiffness which could compromise the strong quality of your bike but there are these small gains not affecting performance.. deda bartape works well, how heavy are your axles?, 140 mm rear rotor will also save you rear flatmount adapter?, schwalbe tubeless rim tape is ok in one layer - around 5g vs 15g other tapes, how heavy are your tyres? hutchinson fusion 5 11Storm Galactik are lighter than Schwalbe.. and the biggest gain will be wheels.. maybe also saddle and pedals (speedplay/Time) .. you can make it half a kilo lighter.

TonyM

by TonyM

You are really surprised that the F10 is not that light? :noidea:
Pinarellos (like Colnagos) have never been the lightest..... :smartass:

If you live in a hilly area the F10 is not the best choice IMHO. A Tarmac disc or Emonda disc would have been much better....

BTW my F10 disk comes out at 7.50kg:

Dura Ace 9170 Di2 including Dura Ace powermeter (+70g)
Dura Ace 160/140 rotors
BT Di2 unit
Ultegra cassette (+60g vs. Dura Ace)
Pro Stealth Evo stem/ handlebar combo
Lizard skins 1.8mm DSP bar tape
K-Edge Garmin Mount
Time Xpresso 15 pedals
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 48 DB
Veloflex 23/25 with latex tubes
Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio
2 x Elite Cannibale bottle cages

The easiest way to go lighter would be to have a wheelset for tubular tires.

Boshk

by Boshk

Hunt are coming out with a sub 1kg wheel set BUT I believe they are for rim brakes. Could keep an eye on them for disc version

Fabric does a 140g saddle....ALM, berks does a sub 100g I think.

jlok

by jlok

Get Bora One 35 DB Tubular
XG1190
Xpresso 15 or the latest XPro Titan axle
Pro Stealth Carbon saddle or lighter saddle of your choice
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Stendhal

by Stendhal

TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:38 am
You are really surprised that the F10 is not that light? :noidea:
Pinarellos (like Colnagos) have never been the lightest..... :smartass:

If you live in a hilly area the F10 is not the best choice IMHO. A Tarmac disc or Emonda disc would have been much better....

BTW my F10 disk comes out at 7.50kg:

Dura Ace 9170 Di2 including Dura Ace powermeter (+70g)
Dura Ace 160/140 rotors
BT Di2 unit
Ultegra cassette (+60g vs. Dura Ace)
Pro Stealth Evo stem/ handlebar combo
Lizard skins 1.8mm DSP bar tape
K-Edge Garmin Mount
Time Xpresso 15 pedals
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 48 DB
Veloflex 23/25 with latex tubes
Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio
2 x Elite Cannibale bottle cages

The easiest way to go lighter would be to have a wheelset for tubular tires.
Hi Tony. I had never considered a Pinarello until the F8 (rim) dropped substantial grams from its predecessor. I bought an F8 and then swapped it for an F10 (warranty replacement), and they are light enough for me -- 6.7 kg with pedals -- with superb aero. Your 7.5 kg disk version sounds like a reasonable weight to come in at.

I agree with the comment that the MOST components are a locus for weightweeism. I recently switched to an integrated areobar-stem and did not even consider MOST due to weight (and price$$$$$).
Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 (6.39 kg), Cervelo Aspero (7.87)
Retired: LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

hannawald

by hannawald

if not sure about time xpresso (they work well and as a bonus you will not mix sram etap with shimano pedals:) you can buy chinese version on aliexpress called Costelo for some 60 usd. people use it with success here..
for integrated stem-bar look at ursus magnus. light and italian, comes with aero spacers so looks pretty integrated. so many options to make it light and functional.. no need to regret, you have one of the best frames available.

silvalis

by silvalis

Maybe you should do a component weight breakdown before splurging on a new frame...
Chasse patate

MarkPW

by MarkPW

sychen wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 am
Also ask yourself what is the F10 stopping you from doing? can a Sl6 fix that? or just an arbitrary weight target?
At 80kg, primary motivation was to climb faster with more aero on the flats/downs. First ride on the F10 yesterday was a fairly flat 1700ft for 30 miles / 20mph avg, z3 effort, I was a little underwhelmed on short hills where I hoped to eat them up with more ease. I was expecting a night and day experience similar to when I changed stock Axis wheels on my old Roubaix SL4 disc to allu Kysrium disc. F10 + Cosmic much more comfortable however, felt every bit of road on the Roubaix/Kysriums, albeit my back needs to get used to the more aero position.

Wish I could ride the SL6 to compare, perhaps I am expecting magic!

Thanks for all replies, plenty of small savings I hadn't thought about. MOST stuff seems heavier than the alternatives. Wheels were a poor choice in hindsight, although roll beautifully :(

hannawald

by hannawald

TourMag tested Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C Disc (non UST version, but claimed weight was the same as newer UST version) at 1672g. They are probably far from what they are advertised. There are couple of tubeless clincher options below 1500g in around 45mm range. If you go tubular, you can be below 1400g (Bora One) That´s what you will probably notice riding short hills/accelerate.

by Weenie