Lightweight Ironman Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stevey028

by stevey028

So, not quite WW, but what recommendations do people have for a lightweight Ironman "superbike". I just set up my giant trinity with filled bottles, nutrition, disc wheel and spare tube etc (basically full race bike setup) and I am gobsmacked that it was 11.2kg!

Surely that is super heavy and there must be a market for a much lighter bike that still ticks all the boxes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I doubt there's much demand for them. On an ironman course, aerodynamics is going to trump weight by a large margin every time
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

Marin

by Marin

Well how much is it without filled bottles, nutrition, and spare tube etc ?

My bike is also 11.2kg with 8 filled bottles.

chunky666

by chunky666

Seems about right. Even a WW bike will probably have 2kg of water bottles and tools/tubes etc. I know that would put my bike over 10kg.

Think about what you actually need to take with you and work out if it can be reduced.

For the 3 Ironmans i've done there were bottle handups roughly every 17-20 miles so you never really needed more than one bottle on the bike at any time plus they did gel and bannana handups. Okay so thats not enough nutrition really but for every one you pick up thats one you dont need to start with.

wingguy

by wingguy

Depends what you mean by superbike. There are lots of good non-integrated bikes (standard steerer tube/stem) that can build lighter than any good integrated bike - but how much aero are you willing to sacrifice?

Otherwise the Argon-18 E-119Tri+ is an impressive weight for a superbike frame with bayonet fork and integrated front end. Not sure vs a Trinity but it's fairly significant vs a P5.

MRM

by MRM

Depends on your price range. I think the best mix of aero and weight atm is the Pinarello Bolide TT. That is the bike Cameron Wurf broke the course record on in 2017.

If it's all out aero and best itegration/storage solutions the Cervelo P5x is probably the best.

Both of those will be in the 10k-15k range though.

Canyon will probably give you the best balance of everything including total price.

audiojan

by audiojan

The lightest frame would be the Cannondale Slice HiMod (you would need to find it used or NOS), but it's not the most aero frame... TriRig Omni is relatively light as well.

Add some light components such as Lightweight wheels/disc, TriRig brakes, etc and you can get it right around 7-8kg depending on size.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

chunky666

by chunky666

FWIW the big 3 proper Triathlon superbikes(I dont mean TT bikes) are all pretty heavy. The P5x is fairly light at a little under 9kg but will be £10k and the Dimond and Diamondback Andean both weigh in at over 10kg.

wingguy

by wingguy

MRM wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:25 pm
If it's all out aero and best itegration/storage solutions the Cervelo P5x is probably the best.
Sure... but that wasn't the question. The OP said he wanted a lighter bike, not a faster or sleeker bike. If weight remains the priority then the P5X would be a massive disappointment for him. :P

MRM

by MRM

I did give more than that one option. :P

robeambro

by robeambro

Lightweight for Ironman.. Hmm.. Maybe ditch all nutrition and hydration, that's got to help!

stevey028

by stevey028

I'll have a think about the nutrion and let you know what it weights without, but I suppose aero is key even on the hilly course I'm doing.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crux

by crux

My Orbea Ordu M35 is relatively light for the price of 1500 Euros. I don't have the weight in mind but it was around 8,5 kgs with all the basic components and there is a lot to upgrade with little money.