Chain Length after small to medium cage swap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hlvd

by hlvd

Anybody care to comment on my chain length, it's in big big in this picture, 11-32 52-36

I've just changed the SS cage for a GS cage on this derailleur. I mistakenly put the GS on the wrong spring tension hole, which increased cage tension and made B screw adjustment almost useless. I managed to negate small small jockey wheel/cassette rub by winding in the b screw to nearly full and removing an extra chain link to what it looks like in the picture.

I realised what the problem was and have reinstalled the cage in the correct pin hole and everything works wonderfully, except the chain sort of looks slightly too small.

As everything works I can either leave it, or use a Shimano connecting pin to re add a link, chain hasn't been ridden.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20180709_203815-1600x1200.jpg
Screenshot_20180710-092341.png
IMG_20180708_183743-1024x768.jpg
IMG_20180708_183845-1024x768.jpg
Last edited by hlvd on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

That's odd. Did you use the instructions in the manual to measure the chain? Big+big add 2 links?

Quick review what I'd do. Before installing the chain.

1. (With low limit screw approximately set) Set b screw so that the gap between upper pulley and 32t cog is minimal. Around 6-9mm between the teeth. (Pull the cage forward to about six o clock)

2. Install an uncut chain on small/small and add enough links so that the derailleur doesn't bottom out in small/small.

I'd probably just ride it as it is. Next chain I'd take a bit more care.

/a

hlvd

by hlvd

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 am
That's odd. Did you use the instructions in the manual to measure the chain? Big+big add 2 links?

1. (With low limit screw approximately set) Set b screw so that the gap between upper pulley and 32t cog is minimal. Around 6-9mm between the teeth. (Pull the cage forward to about six o clock)

2. Install an uncut chain on small/small and add enough links so that the derailleur doesn't bottom out in small/small.

/a
Yes, I did all that, put on an uncut chain and shortened until the dérailleur didn't bottom out.
But because there was increased tension on the cage due to it being on the wrong tension hole the B screw wouldn't remove the rumbling noise in small small.

I've rectified the cage problem and checked the chain using big big no derailleur method and it's correct.

I was just worried the dérailleur in big big looked a bit too much of an angle, but on looking at the Park instructional video it matches perfectly, not sure.

hlvd

by hlvd

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 am

/a
One thing I didn't do is adjust the B screw before installing chain, I adjusted once the chain was on and turned the screw till the noise disappeared.
I'll try that method next time, thanks.

kode54

by kode54

yeah, jockey wheels probably too close to 32 cog, thus grinding noise. check the small small ring to cog combo and see how much tension you have there before doing anything.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

hlvd

by hlvd

kode54 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:59 pm
yeah, jockey wheels probably too close to 32 cog, thus grinding noise. check the small small ring to cog combo and see how much tension you have there before doing anything.
Hi, it's all running sweetly now once I realised the cage was on the wrong pin and corrected it.
Just slightly concerned the chain is slightly small.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com