New Orbea Orca Aero Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Quite well priced, I'd say.

I wonder how it compares in terms of comfort and handling versus the newly released Specialized, Trek and BMC.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Disappointingly half arsed compared to the big names, integrated cables really is a minimum now.

bilwit

by bilwit

robeambro wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 pm

I wonder how it compares in terms of comfort and handling versus the newly released Specialized, Trek and BMC.
yeah their whole line is priced very competitively.. unfortunately this thing weighs like an orca whale too

robeambro

by robeambro

bilwit wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm
robeambro wrote:

yeah their whole line is priced very competitively.. unfortunately this thing weighs like an orca whale too
Do you know how much?
The only info I could find related to the rim brake version put it at 7.8kg for the version equipped with Ultegra, and the wheels were 1.7kg (which is a bit ridiculous for wheels that shallow. One could shave off 200g easy and get mid-depth carbon ones): http://road.cc/content/review/238789-or ... o-m20-team

I would imagine the disc version wouldn't be tons away from this, I reckon sub 8.5kg?
(and let's keep in mind that the new Madone disc isn't a featherweight either).

RashadF

by RashadF

I have been looking closely at all the bikes mentioned here and both the Madone and Orca appear to be heavier than what’s ideal for the price tag. I can’t get a clear number for the Orca but it seems like estimates listed here should be close. Right now, it seems like the best option for me is just to go with the new Tarmac Disc. I would still get some aerodynamics, race geometry, and plenty of stiffness but in a package that is 2-3lbs lighter and that has better ride quality.
Last edited by RashadF on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bilwit

by bilwit

robeambro wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 pm
bilwit wrote:
robeambro wrote:

Do you know how much?
The only info I could find related to the rim brake version put it at 7.8kg for the version equipped with Ultegra, and the wheels were 1.7kg (which is a bit ridiculous for wheels that shallow. One could shave off 200g easy and get mid-depth carbon ones): http://road.cc/content/review/238789-or ... o-m20-team

I would imagine the disc version wouldn't be tons away from this, I reckon sub 8.5kg?
RashadF wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm
I have been looking closely at all the bikes mentioned here and both the Madone and Orca appear to be heavier than what’s ideal for the price tag. I can’t get a clear number for the Orca but it seems like estimations listed here should be close. Right now, it seems like the best option for me is just to go with the new Tarmac Disc. I would still get some aerodynamics, race geometry, and plenty of stiffness but in a package that is 2-3lbs lighter and that has better ride quality.
The rim brake version in size 53 is ~1200g, so the disc version is probably a hundred or so more grams on top of that I would imagine. Either way, it would be a struggle to even get the full rim brake build to sub-7kgs without introducing really boutique components and compromising aero quite drastically.

There are a couple rim ones in smaller sizes on this forum around 7kgs though. I almost pulled the trigger on one last summer but the weight & turnaround (which was 6 months at the time) made me cancel. At the end of the day, aero bikes aren't really expected to be lightweight anyway but with no data behind it, it's not exactly among the premium "fast" aero bikes anyway so I don't see why anyone would pick this based on a performance perspective. I have to say that the frameset does look pretty good, is priced really competitively, and I really like the custom MyO system so it does tick a lot of boxes.

robeambro

by robeambro

bilwit wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 pm
robeambro wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 pm
bilwit wrote:
robeambro wrote:

Do you know how much?

RashadF wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm
I have been looking closely at all the bikes mentioned here and both the Madone and Orca appear to be heavier than what’s ideal for the price tag. I can’t get a clear number for the Orca but it seems like estimations listed here should be close. Right now, it seems like the best option for me is just to go with the new Tarmac Disc. I would still get some aerodynamics, race geometry, and plenty of stiffness but in a package that is 2-3lbs lighter and that has better ride quality.
The rim brake version in size 53 is ~1200g, so the disc version is probably a hundred or so more grams on top of that I would imagine. Either way, it would be a struggle to even get the full rim brake build to sub-7kgs without introducing really boutique components and compromising aero quite drastically.

There are a couple rim ones in smaller sizes on this forum around 7kgs though. I almost pulled the trigger on one last summer but the weight & turnaround (which was 6 months at the time) made me cancel. At the end of the day, aero bikes aren't really expected to be lightweight anyway but with no data behind it, it's not exactly among the premium "fast" aero bikes anyway so I don't see why anyone would pick this based on a performance perspective. I have to say that the frameset does look pretty good, is priced really competitively, and I really like the custom MyO system so it does tick a lot of boxes.
Jeez, 1200/1300gr is an awful lot even for an aero frame standard.. Yeah I agree on all the points, it does tick boxes but definitely shouldn't be a bike chosen purely on performance..

robeambro

by robeambro

Oops, double.

prebsy

by prebsy

oooh that m30 is running R7000 hydro, which is probably the most exciting thing about the new bikes lol

RashadF

by RashadF

It looks like the new Tarmac Disc is coming in sub 15lbs in most sizes. Ding, ding, ding, I think we have a winner Johnny.

https://roadbikeaction.com/first-look-s ... rmac-disc/

TonyM

by TonyM

You can’t compare the Orca Aero with the Tarmac but with the Venge. And the Venge is heavier than the Tarmac.

markb9

by markb9

Orca Aero rim brake was already quite heavy and I don't imagine this will change with disc version. I was thinking about getting Orca Aero (mostly because I could get 30% discount), however, I was put away because of the weight.
For comparison, my Canyon Aerorad disc in size XL with dual stages, two bottle cages, ultegra pedals and garmin mount and quite heavy Reynolds Strike disc wheels, is 8.2kg.

RashadF

by RashadF

TonyM wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:18 am
You can’t compare the Orca Aero with the Tarmac but with the Venge. And the Venge is heavier than the Tarmac.
Why not? We get blinded by these artificial categories that the industry sets up in my opinion. The bike has many of the same features, but is more well rounded as are a number of GC type bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyMM

by TonyMM

Deleted