Vittoria Corsa G+

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeBramJames

by LeBramJames

Hi all,

On saturday I wanted to make a quick ride between the world cup matches (go Belgium :P) when I immediately sensed a wobble from the back wheel. After pulling over and checking the rear tyre, I found that there was a bump in the Vittoria Corsa G+ tyre. See pics below:
https://imgur.com/a/JEVwSjI

The previous ride I hadn't noticed any bump and in between the rides the bike was just stored so I'm clueless what caused the issue. The cotton has also teared, but I'm not sure if this is the cause of the bump or the other way around.
Has anyone encountered something similar or has an idea what caused it? I estimate I've only ridden 1000km with them.
I've contacted Vittoria Support but I'm not sure what I can expect from their side.

When I got back home I put an older Vittoria Open Corsa tyre on with the same inner tube and I didn't have the issue anymore.

Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i think there were reports that some cf clincher wheels have a sharp edge on the rim, eventually it can cut the tyre carcass and cause failure

from the images, especially the final one, it looks like that

1415chris

by 1415chris

That is exactly what happend. For that reason, for instance Veloflex puts the warning on their clinchers not to be used on carbon rims.
I started using carbon clinchers about season and a half ago, but before I put the open tubulars on them, had checked the rims' edges.
Zipp 808 nsw and Vittoria Corsa G+, no issues so far.

froze

by froze

While I can't add anything to the Vittoria conversation, but if you are shopping for tires stay away from Hutchinson, a set of Intensive tires that I had started to separate where the top smooth tread met at the patterned side tread, very much like a recap coming off and in fact it was glued down because I could peel it away from the side tread. I then went on the internet and found that this is a widespread problem with Hutchinson tires throughout their entire line.

LeBramJames

by LeBramJames

They were mounted on Zipp 303 wheels and I did not have any issues when I was riding Vittoria Open Corsa tyres... I will just check the edge of the wheel but I have my doubts that this is the issue?

stevey028

by stevey028

LeBramJames wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 am
They were mounted on Zipp 303 wheels and I did not have any issues when I was riding Vittoria Open Corsa tyres... I will just check the edge of the wheel but I have my doubts that this is the issue?
I ride the same on a zipp 808 front and havent had any issue...something I will be looking out for before every ride though

Stendhal

by Stendhal

sungod wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:45 pm
i think there were reports that some cf clincher wheels have a sharp edge on the rim, eventually it can cut the tyre carcass and cause failure

from the images, especially the final one, it looks like that
<-- THIS. I had two Corsa Gs shred to bits on me (one on a downhill). I think the guys and gals in Engineering haven't quite worked out this graphene stuff quite yet.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stendhal wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:23 am

<-- THIS. I had two Corsa Gs shred to bits on me (one on a downhill). I think the guys and gals in Engineering haven't quite worked out this graphene stuff quite yet.
Lol if you think the casing has graphene in it.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:27 am
Stendhal wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:23 am

Lol if you think the casing has graphene in it.
Then I was duped! :roll:
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stendhal wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 am

The casing is corespun cotton wrapped around two aramid beads. There is a miniscule amount of graphene in the rubber tread.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am
Stendhal wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 am

The casing is corespun cotton wrapped around two aramid beads. There is a miniscule amount of graphene in the rubber tread.
Corrent, and not enough to make a scientifically justifiable difference. Nice tyres, but better marketing. Veloflex to me are much nicer, and they come in 28c now (which will be a true 27-28mm tyre on a 17c rim). The sound of the Corsa G+ always annoyed me.......

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Ive torn through the side casing of three different cotton casing "open tubulars" - Two Veloflex and one Vittoria, on two different sets of carbon clinchers (Fulrcum and some German stuff build where schmolke makes theirs. I dont think the cause was a very sharp rim per se, but something caused the casing to fail with a pop - once doing about 60km/hr descent which was, erm, interesting. Like I said, Im not sure of the Physics behind it but 3x was enough to make me go back to continentals.

swright

by swright

I run the Corsa G+ (25mm) on my Campagnolo Eurus clinchers and the ride is dreamlike on good tarmac -- Vittoria recommends latex inner tubes so I'm thinking of swapping out the butyls to see if the ride gets any better. I'd like to try the Corsa Speed some day.

But the psi recommended on the Vittoria website always shocks me -- for a 150lb (70kg) rider/bike combo they advise 120 psi front and 125 psi rear on the Corsa G+! I've never run them that high, though -- I usually do 95/100 to 105/110, depending on where I'm riding. Fortunately I generally have good road surfaces in the neighborhood.

cheers,
Scott
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

It's the rim hook sawing through the casing, below is a pic of my Turbo Cotton on older Farsports rims:

The inner edge was very sharp, seems the hook was machined and not moulded. My newer carbon rims don't have a sharp edge. How old are your Zipps?

I sanded the inner edge to smooth it a bit, no problems so far.