New Tacx Neo Bike Smart: Yes or No?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

uraqt wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am
So, Ray said in his early review of the Wattbike Atom that all the trainer company were scared of Peloton
I really have yet to understand the mass appeal of the Peloton. Of course from my perspective as a lifelong cyclist who has on occasion done indoor spin classes, the Peloton is really nothing more than an over-priced mid-range spin bike, because despite having the PC attached to the front end, the user still has to manually control the resistance. That said, I was surprised to find that a couple of our friends who have found it hard to get out on the road due to family commitments have purchased the Peloton as it provides fun for the whole family where as a bike on trainer setup limits access.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KevinM

by KevinM

We own a Peloton. It’s a great product. High quality materials, super quiet, excellent customer support, and an endless lineup of classes. My wife, daughter, and I can all take unlimited classes per month for only $40 for the whole family. If you compare that to women taking multiple classes per week at Soulcycle or the like, it’s a massive discount. You do have to purchase the bike, but still, a single Soulcycle class is $35, so you break even quickly.

There are some very fluffy instructors for the “I just want to have fun and dance” crowd, but there are also power zone focused classes, climbing simulations, etc. I had stoped riding for a few years, and the Peloton PZ Training is what brought me back to cycling.

They also have a massive user community, many of whom are extremely active in Facebook groups and the like. So, you and your friends all get together, decide to take the same class, and can ride together live. The instructors get to recognize the regulars and give them shoutouts. There is really a tight sense of community, with get togethers and chat groups. Plus, experienced users mentor new users, creating an endless pipeline.

There is a MASSIVE downside though. Once you start to take the training seriously and want to compare yourself to others through things like ftp, total output, Watts/kg, etc., you come to realize that the bikes are not even close to being calibrated the same from one machine to another. I might put out 1000kj on one bike and 400 on another doing the exact same class. If all you’re focused on is getting stronger and being a better you, no big deal...but if you get motivation from the competition of a leaderboard, it’s a serious letdown to realize people aren’t playing on the same field. (For an example that might be easier to comprehend as a cyclist, think weight doping on Zwift).

I actually prefer to do my TrainerRoad workouts in my sweaty cave on my Neo with a few fans on high and some metal music blaring in my ears, but my wife and daughter love the Peloton format and community, and I still have many friends from Peloton even though I don’t ride it very frequently any more.

Hope that helps people understand the market and the appeal so many people feel.

Shrike

by Shrike

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:40 pm
Because I'd assume someone interested in something like this isn't really fussed with any of the stuff you mentioned. A Wahoo KICKR 2018 already comes with a cassette pre-installed. Mounting a bike is no different than changing a wheel. The only thing you need to clean off your bike is sweat. Something like a Wattbike Atom would costs US$2000 if it were available. The Tacx is probably going to be closer to $2700. I can easily buy something like a 105 equipped Allez, Emonda ALR or CAAD12 and Neo for that...plus I have the option of riding that bike outside as a spare.
I'm interested in it, and I'm fussed with all those reasons I mentioned.

Which is why I mentioned them :shock:

Buy a crappy bike and you've got cables to deal with, a front derailleur, cassettes etc. All these wear out and need indexed.

Can't even compare the long term experiences. Not to mention the premium feel and look of a posh bit of kit like the Tacx machine v throwing on some cheapo bike on a trainer.

survivor

by survivor

I would get one if they can delivery fast enough...

Kinda getting tired of seting up bike on trainer then have to remove it to do outdoor cycling and repeat.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I had a wattbike atom over the winter. I sold it a few weeks ago and I’m quite happy I didn’t lose too much money on it. Honestly it fails in so many ways it would take longer than I have right now to list them.

The tacx bike looks like it succeeds where the atom fails in lots of ways. I’ll be getting one.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

TurboTommy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:04 am
I had a wattbike atom over the winter. I sold it a few weeks ago and I’m quite happy I didn’t lose too much money on it. Honestly it fails in so many ways it would take longer than I have right now to list them.

The tacx bike looks like it succeeds where the atom fails in lots of ways. I’ll be getting one.
I had an Atom too. Happily Wattbike took the whole thing back for a refund.

I currently have an Elite Drivo and a set of Elite e-Motion Rollers. I'd consider the Tacx bike -- it most certainly has to be better than the Atom experience I had.

mattr

by mattr

Shrike wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:40 pm
Buy a crappy bike and you've got cables to deal with, a front derailleur, cassettes etc. All these wear out and need indexed.
About once a year for" adjustment". The nail we bought for my wife to turbo on stayed on the turbo for 5 months. In 5 months it needed exactly one thing doing. New bar tape.
It also doubles up as a poor weather summer bike. Which does several orders of magnitude more damage than sitting on a turbo.
Only "issue" is if you put the bike on the trainer with a dirty chain. Eventually needs a wipe down.
Shrike wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:40 pm
Can't even compare the long term experiences. Not to mention the premium feel and look of a posh bit of kit like the Tacx machine v throwing on some cheapo bike on a trainer.
Really? Get something bottom end from a brand that suits you geometry wise, get the position the same (fairly easy with a known brand/geometry) new saddle (maybe bars as well to get the same shape) and you're set. You'll struggle to tell the difference on a trainer. Unless you keep looking at the top tube.

I can't imagine putting up with the hassle of my wife and i using something like this. Every time we'd have to swap the saddle, pedals, crank and completely change the position.

Witha normal neo it's about two minutes. Takes longer to boot up and log into zwift.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I use a turbo loads during the winter. Having a nice piece of kit to train on makes it more enjoyable. The same as having nice bikes to ride makes riding more enjoyable generally. There are lots of plus points to having a stand alone unit if it ticks all the boxes functionality wise. Maybe the price isn’t one of them, but I guess we all weigh these things up and make our own choices.

Stueys

by Stueys

I'd think about getting one. My eldest son wants to use the turbo, as does my wife, neither of who can swap bikes on my Neo to make them self sufficient. Plus my wifes bike invariably needs indexing to work on the Neo. Something that everyone can just quickly adjust and ride has a real appeal.

Re mainteance of a normal bike, I have a dedicated turbo bike that just sits on my Neo. It never gets touched, occassionaly I make myself lube it but I don't think the lube really degrades when it's not picking up dirt and moisture.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

What are the problems with the ATOM which you are all experiencing?

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

I can see why this would be a great idea and why people would want it (Adjustability for multiple people, no wear on bike parts, can try different geometries and set-ups etc) but personally it's not for me.

I have a Neo and firstly the change over doesn't bother me. Takes 30 seconds to take a bike off and stick the rear wheel back on but mainly, I want my indoor experience to feel like the outdoor one which for me means riding my actual bike(s) rather than a gym bike.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

RTW wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 am
What are the problems with the ATOM which you are all experiencing?
Mushy pedal feel, awkward gear change, and PM strain gauges that broke within 72 hours of ownership (rendering the bike entirely useless) with no replaceable parts/spares offered by the manufacturer.

Dexman

by Dexman

Definitely yes for me. Already have one on pre-order to the States using the clever training discount. After I sell my current trainer and spare bike, should be relatively affordable. Key benefit for me is all four members of the household can use it without hassle. Sure, changing bikes on a direct drive isn’t that hard, but my wife and daughter have no desire to do that, and half the time the bikes are dirty and we don’t want them in the Rec room. I also use my bike outside just about every day, so the constant on/off trainer thing has gotten real old. Thought about the Atom, but still not available in the US, and too many complaints. Tacx seems like they have done a much better job with this product. Hope so.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The VIP coupon did not work on the Fuoripista or the Neo Bike Smart for me. I still don't understand the allure unless you truly never ride outside. It's the same price as buying a Neo and a spare bike with 105 R7000. The latter option is more easily stored and will never get "dirty" since it will only be ridden outside if your prime bike has a problem. The only major advantage I see is the ease of reach/stack adjustability, but again if you have two people in the household that train indoors, it would be better to have two trainers + two bicycles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

This is quickly developing in to a tubs vs. clinchers type debate - two sides that can't be reconciled!
I'm interested to see how the market develops BUT I can't see the attraction of a fully integrated bike:

1. Bike fit is king for me, especially saddle choice. If you do a lot of miles on the turbo you will wear the padding, shell and rails of a saddle noticeably. Everyone prefers a slightly different saddle shape - I know myself and my girlfriend have completely different requirements. So much easier to have separate bikes and one trainer/Zwift setup.

2. We are moving from the era of purely mechanical trainers to the era of smart trainers. Technology is now moving at the pace of the computer hardware/software industries (i.e. at least 5 times the pace that it did before). Given that the trainer element is non-upgradeable you want the cost of that to be a minimum rather than bundled in with the bike so that when it does become obsolete the financial pain is eased.