When Are Disc Brakes Necessary?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MoPho

by MoPho

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 am

If you cannot be constructive, then don't post anything please...

Or do you just want to promote your website and your business? :noidea:

Huh?! You're kidding, right? This is a troll thread, there is nothing constructive about it, and he is the one throwing personal insults as usual, so go point your finger elsewhere :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Look at this years TdF. There are both rim and discs in the peloton. In the first 2 road stages, disc break bikes (Venge) won back to back.
So if there was a speed disadvatage, to disc - the rim equipped riders would have won.

When are they necessary? Anytime you break....e.g. no wear on the (carbon) rims. For anyone in a mountain area (I am in NorCal) they add confidence and control beyond anyting else (i.e. modulation is far superior, as is absolute stopping power and distance).
I have both rim and disc road bike and while they each have their benefits, for pure handling and overall performance, disc wins hands down.
Last edited by CEVelo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Well, it’s a different story in the mountain stages of the TdF.
Again, when will the gc riders ride discbrake bikes?

corky

by corky

CEVelo wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 am
Looks at this years TdF. There are both rim and discs in the peloton. In the first 2 road stages, disc break bikes (Venge) won back to back.
So if there was a speed disadvatage, to disc - the rim equipped riders would have won.

When are they necessary? Anytime you break....e.g. no wear on the (carbon) rims. For anyone in a mountain area (I am in NorCal) they add confidence and control beyond anyting else (i.e. modulation is far superior, as is absolute stopping power and distance).
I have both rim and disc road bike and while they each have their benefits, for pure handling and overall performance, disc wins hands down.
I think you’ve fallen for the marketing.......riders win races not bikes.

Discs are great until they aren’t...... as for ‘pure handling’ ....it’s whatever you’re used to imho. As I have said in other threads, until they sort out the rotor pad gap being too small and allowing a bit of rubber to retract the pistons I ain’t buying.....

kgt

by kgt

ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:26 am
Until they have no other option.
Most probably a rider on a non-disc, non-aero bike will win the 2018 Tour.

Multebear

by Multebear

MoHo and Calnago. Please stop. Nobody want read those kinds of posts. PM eachother instead.

Back to topic. The thing with rimbrake vs. Disc is, that everyone is overthinking it. We wouldn’t have had the options if the big brands didn’t push for discs. Now the latest aero bikes don’t even come in rimbrake option.

You only need to consider, how much braking power you need. If rimbrake will stop the bike to your satisfaction, then you don’t need discs; it’s a nobrainer. Don’t overthink it.

Miller

by Miller

ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:26 am
Well, it’s a different story in the mountain stages of the TdF.
Pretty sure there was a disc brake win in a mountain stage of this year's Giro.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Really? What stage? Team and rider?

Obviously, the latest aero bikes don’t come in rimbrakes option anymore because pros only use it in flat stages.

jlok

by jlok

Horses for courses. If you don't need it, don't use it.

For me it's simply because I could only have one road bike and that has to take care wet riding as well, plus it's hilly around, so disc brake it is then.

If you think bike mfg are ruining rim brake, shout at them, not the disc brake users. Plus I dun think rim brake and disc brake have to be exclusive. Why not both if you could/need?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Miller

by Miller

ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 pm
Stage 18, Schachmann, QS

stevey028

by stevey028

When are disc brakes bad? Just in the wet or when their is user error ie pulling too hard and locking the wheel? Is there are other cons?

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Miller wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 pm
Stage 18, Schachmann, QS
I meant top gc riders.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

corky wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 am
CEVelo wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 am
Looks at this years TdF. There are both rim and discs in the peloton. In the first 2 road stages, disc break bikes (Venge) won back to back.

I think you’ve fallen for the marketing.......riders win races not bikes.

Discs are great until they aren’t...... as for ‘pure handling’ ....it’s whatever you’re used to imho. As I have said in other threads, until they sort out the rotor pad gap being too small and allowing a bit of rubber to retract the pistons I ain’t buying.....
Ofcourse riders win races. Any technology can fail, yet todays disc breaks are pretty foolproof. No, didn't fall for marketing. Ride multiple bikes myself and can compare back to back. Frequently ride 2,000+ ft decends in the Sierras and disc adds confidence and handling, there is nothing subjective about that and without any relevant weight penalty (bike is still right around 15lbs)

corky

by corky

Of course it’s subjective .....how do you quantify confidence and handling? It’s just your opinion.....

maybe English is not your first language but....it’s spelt Brakes not breaks....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Multebear wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 am
MoHo and Calnago. Please stop. Nobody want read those kinds of posts. PM eachother instead.

Back to topic. The thing with rimbrake vs. Disc is, that everyone is overthinking it. We wouldn’t have had the options if the big brands didn’t push for discs. Now the latest aero bikes don’t even come in rimbrake option.

You only need to consider, how much braking power you need. If rimbrake will stop the bike to your satisfaction, then you don’t need discs; it’s a nobrainer. Don’t overthink it.
Has nothing to do with power. It's about usability and not eating away at your rims, whatever the gradient or weather. The only real disadvantage is that is that discs were invented after rim brakes. Do you seriously think the marketers could sell us rim brakes as an improvement if discs had been the commonplace option for the last 50 years?