When Are Disc Brakes Necessary?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Those people that wear out rim alot benefit from disc brakes. This is a question that actually has no answer, just opinion which is quite subjective.

Jugi

by Jugi

jencvo wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:30 pm
However, I don't ride in the wet unless caught out (thanks Wahoo Kickr), nor in the mountains. There's tons of rolling hills out here, but I ride them, not hold my brakes down each one.

Would this be a sufficient options instead of discs, I've been running alloy braking my entire life and never had problems even descending or in the wet. Another option is Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50, same thing, alloy braking. I feel like with proper pads they can be almost as efficient, but saving myself all the rest of the pains of going with discs in my situation. Any advice?
I didn’t understand your question. No wet conditions and no mountains means you would do just fine with full carbon rims, especially with direct mount calipers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jencvo

by jencvo

Jugi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:56 pm
jencvo wrote:
However, I don't ride in the wet unless caught out (thanks Wahoo Kickr), nor in the mountains. There's tons of rolling hills out here, but I ride them, not hold my brakes down each one.

Would this be a sufficient options instead of discs, I've been running alloy braking my entire life and never had problems even descending or in the wet. Another option is Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50, same thing, alloy braking. I feel like with proper pads they can be almost as efficient, but saving myself all the rest of the pains of going with discs in my situation. Any advice?
I didn’t understand your question. No wet conditions and no mountains means you would do just fine with full carbon rims, especially with direct mount calipers.
We all get caught in the rain and there are a few bigger hills if I drive out, but I would only go there few times a year maybe. In cases like that discs would obviously be better, but I'm not sure if that's a good enough of a reason to get them.

Jugi

by Jugi

Well, based on the reasons you stated in your original post and just the virtues of mechanical simplicity, I wouldn’t go for disc brakes. Also, I think there is the matter of opinion in the ride feel of current generation disc brake bikes and the comparable rim brake bikes. I’m not saying either is better, but there is a difference in thru axle + forks with disc brake construction vs. QRs + traditional fork construction.

bilwit

by bilwit

jencvo wrote:
Hi guys. In a few weeks I will start a build for a new road bike. I'm 83kg so I can see the benefit of consistent braking with discs. However, I don't ride in the wet unless caught out (thanks Wahoo Kickr), nor in the mountains. There's tons of rolling hills out here, but I ride them, not hold my brakes down each one. One thing that also bothers me with going disc is the compatibility with my indoor trainer, I'd have to buy a whole new wheel for it, then change adapters every time my wife uses it (rim brake bike), all on top of maintenance, setup, complexity, etc. associated with discs. Those are all the cons I see, with the pro being better braking in wet and long descents.

Here's the alternative to all of this I'm thinking about. Merlin Cycles is selling Mavic Cosmic Pro Exalith clinchers (https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/mavi ... 97616.html), 10% off this weekend, so about $960. They are nicely aero but use exalith over alloy braking surface. What do you think of those? Would this be a sufficient options instead of discs, I've been running alloy braking my entire life and never had problems even descending or in the wet. Another option is Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50, same thing, alloy braking. I feel like with proper pads they can be almost as efficient, but saving myself all the rest of the pains of going with discs in my situation. Any advice?
I live in a wet and hilly area and have recently replaced a set of ceramic-coated alloy rims with an entire DA9170 hydraulic disc brake bike and can honestly say there's really only one deciding factor:
  1. How content you are with alloy rims
If you are perfectly content with alloy rims (or switching your setup to use them) then there is no need for disc brake bike. Yes, discs perform ever-so-slightly better in the dry and marginally better in the wet, but it's not a game changing "upgrade" if you're coming from alloy. If you love the "bling" factor of running full carbon clincher rims 100% of the time (yes, this is a very real and common factor) and ride in less than optimal conditions for those rims (wet/steep/ultra-hot/clydesdale) OR you know you'll eventually have the itch for the latest and greatest kit then by all means, go for discs.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

never really necessary... just preferred (like electronic shifting)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mikegordon

by mikegordon

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:42 pm
Those people that wear out rim alot benefit from disc brakes. This is a question that actually has no answer, just opinion which is quite subjective.
Agree.
I do like sports, but I also like my job. I'd like to check out free football bets uk news daily, but I don't have enough time. This is sad.

kgt

by kgt

Most pro riders prove that discs are far from necessary.

mortirolo

by mortirolo

Gravel, cx, mtb, I guess.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

joejack951

by joejack951

kgt wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:17 pm
Most pro riders prove that discs are far from necessary.
Pros have different concerns with their equipment than the rest of us. Do you get new wheels every season/big race? Do you have a team car trailing you with spares? Does a few seconds longer for a wheel change matter to you?

kgt

by kgt

Agree. So, pros are the first to adopt anything that actually offers them an advantage. Discs do not offer this advantage obviously.

joejack951

by joejack951

kgt wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:37 pm
Agree. So, pros are the first to adopt anything that actually offers them an advantage for their highly specific needs which have little in common with the rest of our needs. Discs do not offer this advantage obviously.
Added a little clarification in bold. For my needs and others, discs offer unarguable advantages which are entirely irrelevant for pro racing cyclists. So be it.

hyvent

by hyvent

jencvo wrote:
Hi guys. In a few weeks I will start a build for a new road bike. I'm 83kg so I can see the benefit of consistent braking with discs. However, I don't ride in the wet unless caught out (thanks Wahoo Kickr), nor in the mountains. There's tons of rolling hills out here, but I ride them, not hold my brakes down each one. One thing that also bothers me with going disc is the compatibility with my indoor trainer, I'd have to buy a whole new wheel for it, then change adapters every time my wife uses it (rim brake bike), all on top of maintenance, setup, complexity, etc. associated with discs. Those are all the cons I see, with the pro being better braking in wet and long descents.

Here's the alternative to all of this I'm thinking about. Merlin Cycles is selling Mavic Cosmic Pro Exalith clinchers (https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/mavi ... 97616.html), 10% off this weekend, so about $960. They are nicely aero but use exalith over alloy braking surface. What do you think of those? Would this be a sufficient options instead of discs, I've been running alloy braking my entire life and never had problems even descending or in the wet. Another option is Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50, same thing, alloy braking. I feel like with proper pads they can be almost as efficient, but saving myself all the rest of the pains of going with discs in my situation. Any advice?
the HED Jet Black series of wheels gives u alloy braking with a deep aero carbon fairing if you do not fully want to invest in a disc brake set up. personally, i have no need for disc brakes although the modulation and feel is barely better.