When Are Disc Brakes Necessary?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RussellS

by RussellS

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:41 pm
Hmmm... so when are disc brakes really necessary...
I think your picture is pretty accurate. About the only thing to add is whether using carbon wheels. Rim brakes are somewhat iffy with carbon wheels. Some say rim brakes and carbon rims work fine, others much less fine. That is before even throwing in rain. My brother has some Reynolds carbon wheels and says the rim brakes and pads work fine enough. Even riding the Rockies with dampness. But if I was buying a new bike today with super carbon wheels, I would consider disc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:
The key word in your little chart is "necessity." A lightweight bike isn't a necessity. An aero bike isn't a necessity, electronic shifting isn't a necessity, paddle shifters aren't a necessity, clipless pedals aren't a necessity, etc...

RussellS wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm
I think your picture is pretty accurate. About the only thing to add is whether using carbon wheels. Rim brakes are somewhat iffy with carbon wheels. Some say rim brakes and carbon rims work fine, others much less fine. That is before even throwing in rain. My brother has some Reynolds carbon wheels and says the rim brakes and pads work fine enough. Even riding the Rockies with dampness. But if I was buying a new bike today with super carbon wheels, I would consider disc.

I put 25k miles on a set of Reynolds carbon rims woth lots of fast technical descending and yes the work "fine". Disc brakes work better

stockae92

by stockae92

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:37 pm
What situation would you say calls for discs over rims?
When my bank account has enough "bike fund" for upgrade :D

But seriously, my reason is what I have to stop for stop sign and traffic lights on fast descent. I guess I can start braking early on rim brakes to slow down, but why do that when you can brake later with disc brake. :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MoPho wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:33 pm
Calnago wrote:
The key word in your little chart is "necessity." A lightweight bike isn't a necessity. An aero bike isn't a necessity, electronic shifting isn't a necessity, paddle shifters aren't a necessity, clipless pedals aren't a necessity, etc...
Uh... yeah... since that's what the thread is about (it's in the title after all), I thought it might be kinda relevant.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Uh... yeah... since that's what the thread is about (it's in the title after all), I thought it might be kinda relevant.

Uh.. yeah... And I am pointing out the stupidity of your chart (and the discussion)

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Hi, I'm on my first set on disk brakes, I've done about 3000km over three months and they are wonderful. Absolutely the best, everyone should be forced to have them because they are better for everything, in fact I'm certain they will be totally maintenace free 'cos that's what the salesman in the cycle shop said.

I haven't yet had dirty dragging pistons, poor alignment, glazed pads, pitted disks, warped disks, fluid leaks, bled my brakes or spent money on new rotors, pads and any time doing maintenance or spent money on new tools or sending my bike to the cycle shop and so haven't wondered why we dumped anything so simple, almost maintenance free as and perfectly adequate as rim brakes. I'm also looking forward to 1x14 drivetrains but haven't figured out any sudden power over 600W will snap the chain and that I'll be crosschained most of the time.

Like a lamb to the slaughter. clueless.

/Sarcasm

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MoPho wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Uh.. yeah... And I am pointing out the stupidity of your chart (and the discussion)
When you were in school, I suspect you had teachers who would pull you aside and say “PeeWee, I know you’re trying but you really need to read the question carefully before you answer.”
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bilwit

by bilwit

They are never necessary, but the same can be said about carbon frames, carbon rims, electronic groupsets, etc. There are definite conditions in which they are more optimal and preferred.

I have both and regularly switch between the two. Discs all the way for rainy/wet or ridiculously hot days with unavoidably draggy steep decents (traffic, etc), but I'd also say alloy rim brakes are also more than sufficient in these conditions too but not optimal (and who likes to be seen on those silver brake tracks these days :P ).

Since it's been pretty sunny & dry lately so I've been on the rim bike a lot and I actually prefer the extra bite it has over the extra modulation with discs, but this may vary depending on your setup.
Last edited by bilwit on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

bilwit wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 am
(...)Discs all the way for (...) ridiculously hot days with unavoidably draggy steep decents (...)
A very valid point especially if you use latex tubes and carbon rims :smartass:

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:33 am

When you were in school, I suspect you had teachers who would pull you aside and say “PeeWee, I know you’re trying but you really need to read the question carefully before you answer.”

As usual, you've got nothing so resort to insults. :roll:

jlok

by jlok

If a thread named When are rim brakes necessary...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’ve “got nothing”? Hmmm, I think my chart that I brought to the table is really pretty good. Sums it up nicely I think.
Just saw the post above. I think the chart answers that as well. The lower the percentage for discs, the higher it is in favor of rims, by deduction.
In fact, to avoid a semantics war, just replace “necessary” with “more appropriate”.

MoPho

by MoPho

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 am
I’ve “got nothing”? Hmmm, I think my chart that I brought to the table is really pretty good. Sums it up nicely I think.
Just saw the post above. I think the chart answers that as well. The lower the percentage for discs, the higher it is in favor of rims, by deduction.

As in you got nothing for a comeback but insults. Seems you're the one that has difficulty with reading. And what part of me pointing out the stupidity of your chart AND the discussion did you not understand?
Your chart could be "The necessity of Colnagos chart for dummies" just the same, except there is no condition that you "need" a Colnago, so the red line would be flat across the bottom.
There is no necessity in any of the stuff we buy for our bikes, brakes aren't even a necessity, the whole premise of this troll thread is stupid. Maybe some people just want disc brakes because they like them like you like Colnagos and you should STFU about it already.

TonyM

by TonyM

MoPho wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 am
Calnago wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:59 am

As in you got nothing for a comeback but insults. Seems you're the one that has difficulty with reading. And what part of me pointing out the stupidity of your chart AND the discussion did you not understand?
(...)

If you cannot be constructive, then don't post anything please...

Or do you just want to promote your website and your business? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com