Broken headset bearing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dastott

by dastott

Had a creaking sound when riding out of the saddle on my SS Evo HM. Cleaned the headset and the sound disappeared but found a crack in this small inner bearing. Seems like I have been riding with it like this for a while. Incidentally I have a spare from another SS Evo HM frame with exactly the same crack in the same bearing. Wondering if this is a big problem, or can I ride it while I wait for delivery of a replacement? Thanks.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi dastott,

Wow, never seen a headset bearing broken like that before. And you have two of them!

In my opinion, the risk of continuing riding for a short time while getting a new replacement is small. Maybe scratch the bearing seat a little, but shouldn't be a problem.

Would you consider contacting your local Cannondale retailer to have them enter this into our warranty system? That way we can include your experience into our database, to address it, if it's a bigger problem than I know.

Thanks,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JScycle

by JScycle

dastott wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:02 am
Had a creaking sound when riding out of the saddle on my SS Evo HM. Cleaned the headset and the sound disappeared but found a crack in this small inner bearing. Seems like I have been riding with it like this for a while. Incidentally I have a spare from another SS Evo HM frame with exactly the same crack in the same bearing. Wondering if this is a big problem, or can I ride it while I wait for delivery of a replacement? Thanks.
Hi,
Where is the crack? I cannot see it on the photo.
I thought the picture you showed is just the retaining ring.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Same, can't tell because it's dirty, but if that's just the crown race or the headset steerer compression ring, they're supposed to be split.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

JScycle

by JScycle

I believe it is the piece labelled compression ring
https://imgur.com/a/0Iy82M5

Edit: added link as I'm not sure how to imbed photos
Last edited by JScycle on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dastott

by dastott

Thanks for the replies. After checking around, it seems it is actually the crown race. Some are split smooth it seems but both are mine are split roughly so it looks cracked. Sorry, just a false alarm but have ordered a non-split one, just in case.

JScycle

by JScycle

dastott wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:07 pm
Thanks for the replies. After checking around, it seems it is actually the crown race. Some are split smooth it seems but both are mine are split roughly so it looks cracked. Sorry, just a false alarm but have ordered a non-split one, just in case.
It could be the crown race. Where did you find this piece? Was it above or below the headtube?

dastott

by dastott

So, it was above the top tube. So, that is the compression ring?

JScycle

by JScycle

dastott wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 pm
So, it was above the top tube. So, that is the compression ring?
Yes, most crown races will either be integrated into the fork (not sure about the HM fork), clip on or press on. The piece you showed doesn't look like a crown race judging by the photo

dastott

by dastott

Thanks very much for the info. So, a crack in the compression ring is no big deal?

JScycle

by JScycle

dastott wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:33 pm
Thanks very much for the info. So, a crack in the compression ring is no big deal?
I don't think it is a crack. It is waaay to perfect looking. Compression rings are made to have a gap in them so they can compress.
https://imgur.com/a/LjepLv9 like in this image

dastott

by dastott

Thanks very much. I have learnt a lot. Headset is running smoother and quieter now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com