Rotor 1x13 announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

About the group set this thread is about though, I was wondering whether shift speed would suffer when you click several times to shift several gears because of the nature of the hydraulics. Or is that not how it works? :noidea:

wingguy

by wingguy

There's no reason why it would. With a compressionless housing hydraulic fluid should be theoretically an even more direct (and in practise exactly the same) connection from the shifter to rear mech. It'd be mech architecture and chain/cassette design that would govern how well it deals with multishift.

Look, as a final note, it's getting tricky to keep track of the riding situations you're talking about because your scenarios keep changing - but ultimately you seem to be talking about the ability to shift quickly in situations where you're not actually pushing on. In which case I just don't get why it's important. It's certainly not as important as how easily you can change gears when you are riding hard, and it's those situations where the FD just isn't as good. It's the neccessary evil you have to work around to get the good stuff that 2 chainrings offer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I don't like close ratio cassettes. I am fine with my cadence and torque output varying alot.

single speed MTB riding (done it for years) trains the need for gearing to help you out, out of you.

More gears will not mean closer ratios. It will mean a larger big sprocket as the DS flange can't move any further in. If the rear spacing went to the boost standard there is more space but really you all want the impossible.

If the 10t cogs overhangs the freehub I bet this groupset won't work with some frames.

People used to ride the tour on fixed gears, what's wrong with you all. Do you like your knees or something?

I bet campag will come out with a gravel 1x13 or 14 group that fits on there current hub by using dished big sprockets. This what 1x is really aimed at.

Alot of you here also assume mist folk ride in the mountains all the time. On flatter rides 1x work for roads bikes just fine.

tilla85

by tilla85

I currently have the Uno groupset, been riding it for the past 6 months and logged a fair amount of miles. I'm happy to see that this forum brings up more educated arguments about the groupset and the upcoming 1x13 one than most others.
My experiences so far after a little over 6k miles on and off road addressing a lot of concerns mentioned in posts:

Feel. Definitely has less of it than other mechanical groupets but over time I realized it doesn't really need it kind of like di2. Because the indexing is in the derailleurs and you're pushing fluid it's as consistent as electronic groupsets so it kind of gives me the same reassurance, I know it's going to do it's thing. That being said, downshifting definitely has more feel than going up the cassette. There is one thing I did to improve it, the system comes bled with magura mineral oil and I always felt like it had a lot of resistance to push, so I ended up flushing it out and replacing it with antifreeze which mush lower viscosity and turns out was originally used in the prototypes as well.

Shifting performance. No issue in the rear. One concern with a closed system like this is how it behaves in different ambient temperatures and pressures. The system ships with an inline barrel adjuster so you can manualy compensate for these variables but they are bulky and ungly so I've run the system without them the entire time I've owned it. On two occasions I had difficulty shifting down at high temperatures, but have not had any problems after I switched fluids even though I've taken it to much more extreme temps and elevation since. As for the front shifting, I'd say it's a hair better than first gen sram red so you get why they're going 1X. Overall I'm pleased with how it shifts, it's never left me stranded and I can't see how it would.

Speed. It can go up the cassette 4 cogs at a time if you want. It will shift down as fast as you can click it.

Durabilty. I've been beating on it on and off road, riding it on dirt once or twice a week, washing the bike a lot. Being a closed system I have not experienced any degradation in shifting performance at all, no bleeding it since I made the switch to antifreeze (3k miles ago). I have had problems in unexpected areas though, I'm on my second set of hoods which are also amlost gone at this point. For reference, I've never had to replace any on bikes before I got these. Another thing I managed to wear out prematurely was the cassette, although stupid light at 135g and I did expect some compromise, it only lasted as long as my first chain which was 4k miles. The new chain would skip on it again surprisingly not on the aluminum cogs but the largest steel ones.

Weight. It's the lightest disc brake group set on the market adding 35g to it by going 1x13 will make it the second lighest, I'll be happy to pay that penalty when it comes out.

I'm excited that the 1x13 stuff is backwards compatible, I'm totally sold on hydro shifting and can't wait to get my hands on it!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Maybe I should get an uno groupset for my new look 785.

nasanu

by nasanu

Anyone know when this is coming out?... I am wanting to convert from flat bars to drops but am waiting for this. The cassettles are out.. well some of them. Just need the shifters and derailleur.

themidge

by themidge

If the 11 speed uno is anything to go by, basically never.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Oh snap!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RZack89

by RZack89

nasanu wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:58 pm
Anyone know when this is coming out?... I am wanting to convert from flat bars to drops but am waiting for this. The cassettles are out.. well some of them. Just need the shifters and derailleur.
It could be available from febraury/march 2019

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I mailed Rotors technical department a few weeks ago asking the very same question.
They also told me around 1 quarter 2019.

But for a 13 cog cassette, we'd need Rotors new Revolver rear hub. So either new wheels, or rebuild a current wheel with a new hub.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Jugi

by Jugi

Bikerumor has prices, weights and availability up on the site.

With all the highly integrated and proprietary aero bikes on the market, this actually starts to make a smidgen of sense. The quoted groupset weight is quite respectable, so it'll offset a heavier aero frame's weight penalty. Just accept the fact it'll be costly to purchase, use and maintain. And when the time comes to upgrade, in the next generation they have most likely changed the hydraulic fluid for brake fluid, just because.

I wonder whether they contemplated about designing the lever clamps for a new handlebar diameter. They could have sold the groupset with clamp shims and the appropriate Rotor handlebar as an optional extra. Ka-ching.

jih

by jih

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 pm
Alot of you here also assume mist folk ride in the mountains all the time. On flatter rides 1x work for roads bikes just fine.
It isn't about 'all the time' - I ride in mountains maybe five times a year. I need my bike to work on those days, since they're my biggest riding days of the year, even if I stay in the big ring for 90% of the normal riding.

And here in the UK, we don't have a lot of tall mountains, but we do have a lot of steep roads. Twenty percenters pop up where you least expect them.

Vjl

by Vjl

I can't wait till someone comes out with shifters that shift with just a, push of a button!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Jugi, ironically the Rotor Uno setup is the most flexible when it comes to adding gears. Since the RD itself handles the indexing, the previous 11spd Uno RD can just be swapped out for a 13spd one without changing the levers. All the shift levers do is push a fluid at a linear rate.