Allez sprint disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Aside from obvious stem length adjusting, don't forget about handle bar.
When I switched from 3T Aeronova (reach 100mm+) 40cm to Zipp SL-70 Aero 38cm (reach 70mm). I need to increase stem length by A LOT.
Narrower bar is a little closer to my shoulder joint, and lower reach bar bring shifters so much closer to me too. If I remember correctly, I change from 90mm stem to 120mm but I'm not certain about this number.

johnrho

by johnrho

Hexsense wrote:Aside from obvious stem length adjusting, don't forget about handle bar.
When I switched from 3T Aeronova (reach 100mm+) 40cm to Zipp SL-70 Aero 38cm (reach 70mm). I need to increase stem length by A LOT.
Narrower bar is a little closer to my shoulder joint, and lower reach bar bring shifters so much closer to me too. If I remember correctly, I change from 90mm stem to 120mm but I'm not certain about this number.
Great point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Hexsense wrote:Don't adjust your position according to frame stack.
Adjust the set-up to fit your position instead.

Does the old bike have -17 degree stem? If so change to +6 degree stem bring it up by nearly 4cm with no spacer changed. But positive angle stem look a little wonky though. I'm 169cm and use 49. I'd happily use 52 too with steeper stem angle. On 49, I use -10 stem, if I use 52, I'd just use -17 degree stem. I wouldn't even change stem length because the reach difference between 49 and 52 is only 5mm.

Here are quick list of bar height related to stem angle (length=100mm)
Assuming -17 degree is the reference point:
-12 degree is 9mm taller
-10 degree is 12mm taller
-6 degree is 19mm taller (and 1mm shorter reach)
0 degree is 29mm taller (and 4mm shorter reach)
+6 degree is 39mm taller (and 8mm shorter reach)
source: http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php
Thanks, I’ve spent a bit of time using tools like this, as well as the Velogic frame comparison tool. Unfortunately I only really have numbers to go by. They only release Allez Sprint framesets in Australia, no full bike offering, so even with potential new stock later in the year, I’m not even sure I could try one out.

All bike fits on my Defy have put me as relaxed as possible - stem at the top of the steerer and stem at +8deg, 80mm. Over the last 8 months I have been gradually changing that to try and match the Allez. I’m now at 25mm of spacers, with -8deg 90mm stem. It seems fine, in fact I quite like the position and I feel more comfortable on the saddle than I have before.

What’s the maximum allowable spacers on the Sprint? If I could have 30mm of spacers on a 52, at least to start, I think it could be okay, maybe with an 80mm stem.

johnrho

by johnrho

I wouldn’t suggest an 80mm stem as the Sprint is twitchy in the front.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Sounds like you are buying a bike that doesn't fit you. At all.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

You're thinking of moving from 25mm of spacers on endurance geometry to aggressive race geometry? As someone just mentioned, you're buying a bike that doesn't fit you one bit. I think you're better off sticking with endurance geometry frames.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Totally agree with the other posters.. you're trying to buy/fit a bike that is as far away from your fit as possible. I'm assuming you probably like the look and styling of the bike, but will end up hating it when you ride it.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

While I appreciate your concern, I’ll give a few more details:

1. Yes, I do like the look of the Sprint.
2. I’m looking at getting into racing, possibly crits too.
3. I’m interested in an alloy frame being new to racing.
4. There’s potentially a Sprint frame in my size available currently. There’s basically nothing else due to bike shortages. I have almost all the parts to build up from a frame.
5. My last fit was over 18months ago. I’m much more flexible than I was then.
6. I’m after something stiffer than my current bike. I tried my friend’s CAAD12 recently and I could feel the different in stiffness.
8. It would help to have an idea of what size people chose if they are around 5ft6inches/167cm tall with 30inch/77cm inseam. I can then look at the figures and see if it’s doable for me, and possibly take it to a fitter.

Thanks

johnrho

by johnrho

I’m your size and I use a 49cm frame with a 100mm stem and 1.5cm of spacers. The 52cm frame is too big in terms of reach. Don’t choose the frame size just cuz it’s on sale or availability - get the size that fits you. Putting a 80mm stem on the Sprint will not handle and be way too twitchy.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

johnrho wrote:I’m your size and I use a 49cm frame with a 100mm stem and 1.5cm of spacers. The 52cm frame is too big in terms of reach. Don’t choose the frame size just cuz it’s on sale or availability - get the size that fits you. Putting a 80mm stem on the Sprint will not handle and be way too twitchy.

Thank you. I noticed the frame was available, so it’s prompted the question, that’s all. I have no intention of buying a bike/frame that doesn’t fit. Like I said, it’s hard to tell what would fit without other’s experiences. I know someone who is 165cm and rides a 52 with 110mm stem, which is part of what made me think I would need a 52

johnrho

by johnrho

I’m actually 3cm taller (170cm) and couldn’t fit the 52cm. Also, like I mentioned earlier the 52 will not have a lot of seatpost exposed as it would the 49cm so it wouldn’t look right.

Now the downsides of the 49cm are:

1. Limits the choices of bottle cage designs for the seat tube cage as the frame makes it tight to fit a 750ml bottle. I found cage designs like the Tacx Deva are not an option. I currently use Enve carbon cages off my Wilier.
2. Toe overlap is an issue if you’re not conscious of where your toes are when making tight slow turns.

For reference here are my 2 bikes:

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

johnrho wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:02 am
I’m actually 3cm taller (170cm) and couldn’t fit the 52cm. Also, like I mentioned earlier the 52 will not have a lot of seatpost exposed as it would the 49cm so it wouldn’t look right.

Now the downsides of the 49cm are:

1. Limits the choices of bottle cage designs for the seat tube cage as the frame makes it tight to fit a 750ml bottle. I found cage designs like the Tacx Deva are not an option. I currently use Enve carbon cages off my Wilier.
2. Toe overlap is an issue if you’re not conscious of where your toes are when making tight slow turns.
This is great info, thanks. I'll look at the geometry for the 49 and compare it to the position I have now.

Nice bikes, by the way, especially that Allez :D

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I had an issue with mine.
Headset was tight, no play at all, but when hitting larger bumps there was a clunking noise from the headset.

I removed all bearings, repacked them with grease, installed with aqua proof paste, added a 0.2mm shim to the top headset bearing and changed out the plastic split alignment washer to a metal one.

Now no noise. Thought it may help anyone with the same issue...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

To add another reference, two years ago I rented an Allez Sprint while traveling in New Zealand. The rental shop only had a 52cm frame. I had to push the saddle forward to get the fit to work, the most major thing considering the already steep 74° ST angle.

Height: 168cm
Inseam: 75cm
170cm crank arms, eyeballing the stem it was either 90mm or 100mm.

Honestly, for me it worked. The people I traveled with said I looked really good on the 52cm Sprint compared to my smaller sized frames. That said, the 52cm Sprint has a 529mm TT which is really long for me. I normally try to shoot for 520±5mm TT to pair with a 100~120mm stem.

What's interesting is that johnrho is taller than me, so maybe it's the inseam/torso. I know I have short legs... 2cm shorter inseam than Schadenfreude.

I asked to have the stem slammed but when I arrived for pickup they had the stem flipped, so I just rolled with it. The chain? No excuses, shoulda put it back for the photo (doh!)

If you want to see the build specs of my comparable frames, they are here:

F8 (50cm): viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161503
XR4 (50cm): viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161405
65.1T2 (46.5cm) viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161429

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Another data point. Also 165cm. Fit a 49, slammed with anywhere between a 90 -6 and 120 -17 stem depending on my bars and shifter angle. My flexibility is up there though (palms on floor).

I'll say it again. Don't buy a sprint especially in a 52. It doesn't fit you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com