Allez sprint disc

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Grobar
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 am
Location: Switzerland

by Grobar

perplex wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:00 am
A quick snapshot of my new wheel set (Light Bikes 46mm with Hope RS4 hubs and CX Ray spokes.)

1550 grams with valves and rim tape

8E1CA64C-C936-4336-93A7-B5BE8D9E20D9.jpeg
Nice bike! How do you like the TRP brakes ?

Helmetbox
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:14 pm

by Helmetbox

Does the disc model come with grommet to cover mechanical cable holes?

by Weenie


flickwg
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:42 am

by flickwg

Helmetbox wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:18 pm
Does the disc model come with grommet to cover mechanical cable holes?
My full bike came with one plastic cover that will cover one hole at the top of the downtube.

perplex
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:35 pm
Location: Sydney

by perplex

Grobar wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Nice bike! How do you like the TRP brakes ?
Thanks:

TRP: It's no hydrolic brake, but it's quite good. I started out with 140mm up front, but that was not enough. I switched to 160mm and its much better. I like the pad adjustment options and the fact that pads come in from both sides. Gives easier adjustment options.
A Dane relocated to Sydney...

1llum4
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 am

by 1llum4

ancker wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:34 pm
Did a quick search, but didn't find it.

What are the appropriate axle lengths/pitch for the Allez Sprint Disc?
127.5mm front and 168mm rear length and thread pitch is always 1.0mm for all specialized road bike

Helmetbox
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:14 pm

by Helmetbox

flickwg wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 am
Helmetbox wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:18 pm
Does the disc model come with grommet to cover mechanical cable holes?
My full bike came with one plastic cover that will cover one hole at the top of the downtube.
i see. thanks for the inforamation. just recieved my frame today. suprisingly they stop give the shimano bb adapter that they used to.

i also noted that they don't provide the internal routing for electronic cable manual.

ancker
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 pm

by ancker

Helmetbox wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:18 pm
Does the disc model come with grommet to cover mechanical cable holes?
My frameset did not come with any grommet covers. I have a nice open hole at the top of the downtube since I'm running eTap. I might cover it wil a bit of tape or something.

Kesselflicker
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:01 am

by Kesselflicker

Hello "Sprint-Disc Riders",

I already own an Allez Sprint in the rimbreak version. And would be interested in the disc sprint. I already have a Canyon Aeroad Disc and several discwheels for 12x100 and 12x142 thru axles.

Which axle standard does the Allez Sprint have?
Could not find anything on the internet.

I still have a SRAM etap group kit for rim brake, what are your experiences with a mechanical disc brake?
Which caliper is good?
And which Bowden cables and outer shells are best used?

Greetings from Germany and thank you for your help

ancker
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 pm

by ancker

Kesselflicker wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm
Hello "Sprint-Disc Riders",

I already own an Allez Sprint in the rimbreak version. And would be interested in the disc sprint. I already have a Canyon Aeroad Disc and several discwheels for 12x100 and 12x142 thru axles.

Which axle standard does the Allez Sprint have?
Could not find anything on the internet.

I still have a SRAM etap group kit for rim brake, what are your experiences with a mechanical disc brake?
Which caliper is good?
And which Bowden cables and outer shells are best used?

Greetings from Germany and thank you for your help
I just went from an Allez Sprint Rim Brake to Allez Sprint Disc. Pretty much pulled everything off the old frame and installed on the new one. (Minus rim brakes and wheels.)
It has 12x100 and 12x142 axles. So you'll be set in the wheel department. There is plenty of tire clearance as well. I have 28c road tires on mine at the moment.

I'm also running SRAM eTap (11sp) mechanical. I have the TRP Spyre mechanical disc calipers installed. They bite/brake very well after properly bedding. I suppose there are other options, but I obviously can't speak to those.

I have a large spool of Jagwire brake housing and used that for my initial build. The front is nice and crisp, the rear is spongy, but still manageable. Because of that, I have purchased Jagwire's Kevlar Compressionless brake housing and will switch to that for the very long rear brake housing run. I suppose any compressionless housing will work well.

1llum4
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 am

by 1llum4

Kesselflicker wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm
Which axle standard does the Allez Sprint have?
Could not find anything on the internet.
Three post above yours...

Allez sprint disc uses 12x100 and 12x142 axle standard.
The thread pitch of the axle both front and rear is 1.0mm as all specialized disc brake bike.
The actual length of the axle is 127.5mm for front and 168mm for rear.

The disc frameset should come with the appropriate thru-axle in the box.

Cattiy
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:08 pm

by Cattiy

ancker wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 pm
Kesselflicker wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm
Hello "Sprint-Disc Riders",

I already own an Allez Sprint in the rimbreak version. And would be interested in the disc sprint. I already have a Canyon Aeroad Disc and several discwheels for 12x100 and 12x142 thru axles.

Which axle standard does the Allez Sprint have?
Could not find anything on the internet.

I still have a SRAM etap group kit for rim brake, what are your experiences with a mechanical disc brake?
Which caliper is good?
And which Bowden cables and outer shells are best used?

Greetings from Germany and thank you for your help
I just went from an Allez Sprint Rim Brake to Allez Sprint Disc. Pretty much pulled everything off the old frame and installed on the new one. (Minus rim brakes and wheels.)
It has 12x100 and 12x142 axles. So you'll be set in the wheel department. There is plenty of tire clearance as well. I have 28c road tires on mine at the moment.

I'm also running SRAM eTap (11sp) mechanical. I have the TRP Spyre mechanical disc calipers installed. They bite/brake very well after properly bedding. I suppose there are other options, but I obviously can't speak to those.

I have a large spool of Jagwire brake housing and used that for my initial build. The front is nice and crisp, the rear is spongy, but still manageable. Because of that, I have purchased Jagwire's Kevlar Compressionless brake housing and will switch to that for the very long rear brake housing run. I suppose any compressionless housing will work well.
Can you compare the mechanical Spyres to hydraulic brakes?

dcorn
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: NoVA

by dcorn

Cattiy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:31 am

Can you compare the mechanical Spyres to hydraulic brakes?
The Spyres are great brakes. I had them on a cross bike for a season, then bought a bike with sram hydro brakes. Both stop perfectly, the hydros have a bit more adjustability and feel to them, but possibly because I was usually riding the Spyres at slower speeds. Easier to modulate the brakes when you are moving much faster, like on the road.

Helmetbox
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:14 pm

by Helmetbox

anyone routed the di2 cable from bb to handlebar connecting the RS910? wondering what lenght is required for the cable. i am assuming between 1200 to 1400.

Adding to the above points, can i confirm that they current model doesn't come with a carbon saddles clamp? only alloy?
Last edited by Helmetbox on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ancker
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 pm

by ancker

Cattiy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:31 am

Can you compare the mechanical Spyres to hydraulic brakes?
I don't have much experience on either yet.
I had Rival HRD 1x on my gravel bike for a short period of time. I was new at hydro and probably only did a half-decent job of bleeding when I set them up. It was sort of spongey, but operated perfectly fine for my uses.

I've since switched that bike to 1x eTap mechanical (not AXS). It is running Spyres. Braking feels much better than my admittedly probably-not-the-best-setup Rival HRD.

On the Allez Sprint, the Spyres are great (also running eTap mechanical (not AXS)). Again, can't compare to much as I've never ridden hydro at road speeds. But the Spyres worked exactly as I'd expect them to in terms of modulation and overall performance at road speeds of 25-30mph braking down to 5ish at intersections. As noted in my post above, I will replace the rear housing with compressionless that will make that brake feel a lot better at the lever. It still works fine, it's just got a lot more travel/throw due to the housing flexing.

by Weenie


Kesselflicker
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:01 am

by Kesselflicker

ancker wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 pm


I just went from an Allez Sprint Rim Brake to Allez Sprint Disc. Pretty much pulled everything off the old frame and installed on the new one. (Minus rim brakes and wheels.)
It has 12x100 and 12x142 axles. So you'll be set in the wheel department. There is plenty of tire clearance as well. I have 28c road tires on mine at the moment.

I'm also running SRAM eTap (11sp) mechanical. I have the TRP Spyre mechanical disc calipers installed. They bite/brake very well after properly bedding. I suppose there are other options, but I obviously can't speak to those.

I have a large spool of Jagwire brake housing and used that for my initial build. The front is nice and crisp, the rear is spongy, but still manageable. Because of that, I have purchased Jagwire's Kevlar Compressionless brake housing and will switch to that for the very long rear brake housing run. I suppose any compressionless housing will work well.
Thank you for your help and Information. Can you show a few pictures from the brake on your Sprint ?

Can you tell me, how long must be the screws for the front and rear flatmount adapter. :noidea:
Thank you :thumbup:

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post