Tarmac v Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

Please help me, I'm really torn.

I have received an insurance payout after writing off my Cervelo in a RR pile up.

I've narrowed it down to the S-Works Tarmac frameset (to which I'd add an Ultegra di2 groupset, and a Mavic Comete or Cosmic wheelset), OR the cheapest Madone (a new range has launched today, with the SL 6 looking pretty much exactly the same as the 2018 9.0 but with the latest Ultegra groupset - I'd upgrade this to di2 and again run the Cometes or Cosmics).

I truly can't decide so if anyone is bored on a Friday night and fancies giving me a steer I'd be extremely grateful :)

Jmacp

by Jmacp

The Madone sl6 looks to be exactly the same as the old 9.0, except a lower grade of carbon (OCLV 500 rather than 600) which means it’s about 400g heavier... all that for an extra £100.
I’d feel totally mugged buying the SL6. So my advice is to try and pick up a 9.0 before they all disappear, as right now, they look a bargain!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

Jmacp wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:56 pm
The Madone sl6 looks to be exactly the same as the old 9.0, except a lower grade of carbon (OCLV 500 rather than 600) which means it’s about 400g heavier... all that for an extra £100.
I’d feel totally mugged buying the SL6. So my advice is to try and pick up a 9.0 before they all disappear, as right now, they look a bargain!
Thanks buddy. Even with the older Ultegra groupset?

I don't know if I love the grey (looks a bit light in the pics, would prefer it darker), but then I've never seen one with my own eyes.

monkeytusmc

by monkeytusmc

Have you thought about just getting the frame and building up? I recently did a frame up build and I learned so much along the way. I don’t think I would ever buy a full bike again unless it was too good of a deal to pass up. Btw I would go for the madone also. I have two and I love the way the ride and handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RussellS

by RussellS

Jmacp wrote:
The Madone sl6 looks to be exactly the same as the old 9.0, except a lower grade of carbon (OCLV 500 rather than 600) which means it’s about 400g heavier.
400 gram difference due to carbon used?

sennder

by sennder

urbanspaceman wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 pm
Jmacp wrote:
Thanks buddy. Even with the older Ultegra groupset?

I don't know if I love the grey (looks a bit light in the pics, would prefer it darker), but then I've never seen one with my own eyes.
The Madone 9.0 has the latest Ultegra R8000, just like the new Madone SL6. In fact, looking through the specs, the bikes are completely identical except for better carbon in the 9.0 and a slightly better saddle in the 9.0. All in all, the 9.0 is by all aspects a better deal (except maybe paint scheme, but that's subjective).

Jugi

by Jugi

I assume you are looking for the best possible all-around racing bike? The Tarmac has received only high praise for it’s riding charasteristic and feel, and I think it will not disappoint. The Tarmac is most likely the lighter bike in every configuration. It has less system integration, which might be a positive in the long run. It will be easier to maintain as a whole.

The Madone is definetly not bad either in riding feel, although the jury is still out as it is such a new model. I think the IsoSpeed is the main differentiator. Are you interested in that technology in the first place? Do you feel like you will be interested in fine tuning it? Do you consider yourself sort of a middle of the road rider, which might make the IsoSpeed an excessive gimmick just adding weight to the bike? The new integrated front brake is also a small question mark at this point. In the near future most reviews will propably focus on the disc brake model, so it will remain as such for some time. The Madone is more aerodynamic and thus better at holding high speeds, but Specialized considers the Tarmac not much slower than the Venge. So the difference may not be very big.

Shrike

by Shrike

The 400g difference quoted in the white paper is between the rim brake v disc brake builds.

If you're going rim v rim the weight difference between last and current gen Madone are negligible. Which is lighter would probably depend on luck and paint job.

I put some value on the ISOspeed. I'd get a fair bit of pleasure out of playing with that depending on route. If that's not of value to you then a heavily discounted 2017 Madone is probably better value and just as fast.

But won't come in ICON Tour or brushed metal :P

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

Thanks everyone, this has been INCREDIBLY helpful.

Based on the above I'm leaning towards getting a deal on a 2017 Madone as that sounds like amazing advice.

However, I'm now wondering whether my di2 upgrade plan is a sensible one. There's the extra £800, yes, but if the Madone isn't designed for di2 will it look ugly with the junction boxes etc stuck on, and will that affect the aerodynamics (which is of course one of the selling points).

This is a big spend for me, hence my consideration, so again your help is GREATLY appreciated.

hlvd

by hlvd

The Madone has a section behind the downtube bottle cage to hold the di2 junction, it's totally di2 compatible

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

If your rides are flat with sprints, or you ride in groups all the time as I do, Madone all the way. I have a Madone 9 and its been insanely fast, but no lie, a PITA cuz of the proprietary parts.
I switched to an sl6 however because I'm looking at doing more hilly rides, and the Madone is pretty porky up the climbs.

harvsurrey

by harvsurrey

if it helps i did exactly what your planning

madone 9 2018 , added the aero bar and stem which meant i got to choose the correct width and reach for me .

added my Di2 setup i bought from a facebook group virtually new .

stuck on my cosmics ..... job done

awaiting a set of enve ses5.6 wheel which are a new release shortly from them

there has not been a rim brake version of them but will be shortly
20180513_205145~2.jpeg
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

harvsurrey wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 am
if it helps i did exactly what your planning

madone 9 2018 , added the aero bar and stem which meant i got to choose the correct width and reach for me .

added my Di2 setup i bought from a facebook group virtually new .

stuck on my cosmics ..... job done

awaiting a set of enve ses5.6 wheel which are a new release shortly from them

there has not been a rim brake version of them but will be shortly 20180513_205145~2.jpeg

Oh man, that's beautiful - that's what I'm going to do!

What bar / stem did you go for? The Madone integrated?

harvsurrey

by harvsurrey

yes

there are 4 width/length options.

very very happy with mine , more so when the Enve's arrive

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jmacp

by Jmacp