2019 Venge, Madone, Timemachine Road, SystemSix? No thanks, Chapter 2 Rere for me

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adilosnave

by adilosnave

@Octave. I ordered the black one but plan on making some custom decals to cover up the splashes of teal. Will probably utilize the same tribal graphics motif but go with something more subdued. Anyhow, the Foil has been a wonderful bike but I needed to reduce my overall reach a smidge. Was originally planning to get the Tere but they didn't have any black ones available. Only downside was that I had to buy some new Dura-Ace direct-mount brakes for the Rere. Everything else should carry over just fine. Since it's Di2, I expect the swap to take me a while though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

MAsshole wrote:
moonoi wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 am
If you want a disc brake Rere, you can pre-order with Chapter2 now for an approx August release/launch.

I went with a Colnago Concept disc back in December last year, the frame just arrived this week, otherwise I also would have opted for a Rere.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Do you have to email them or something and just ask for the ability to do so?
Yes, just email them and they should respond pretty quickly.

silvalis

by silvalis

octave wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:27 pm
, but i also want it to be serviceable (rim brakes are easy and fewer cable routing headaches are the things that come first to mind).
Not sure if the Rere is the same as the Tere, but the Tere came out of the box with fully routed liners installed. Easiest build I've ever done, no fishing, just poke the wire in and out it pops.

Replacing the liners will be interesting...
Chasse patate

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Anyone have any time on the Rere? I know it's rather new but figured I'd ask.

Jere

by Jere

Hi

I’ve been on a 2012 Cervelo S5 with aero brakes and handle bars 6 years.
I just traded it in for a Felt AR1 just moved the parts over and have a few hundred miles on it.
These new bikes really hit the marks lighter by a little, stiffer and handles great.
Set two PRs with it but how can you call anything a PR when your old and slower !
I was just looking to run 25/28 mm tires and was really surprised I like the bike.
So I think if you want to save a lot of money , buy a leftover model 2018
JB

moonoi

by moonoi

MAsshole wrote:Anyone have any time on the Rere? I know it's rather new but figured I'd ask.
No, but have you read the cycling tips review linked in the original post?

MAsshole

by MAsshole

moonoi wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:41 pm
MAsshole wrote:Anyone have any time on the Rere? I know it's rather new but figured I'd ask.
No, but have you read the cycling tips review linked in the original post?

Yep, just curious to see if I can get more than one review.

Svetty

by Svetty

Given that this is WW not Slowtwitch that Rere is a boat-anchor by currently aero road bike standards 😱

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Svetty wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 pm
Given that this is WW not Slowtwitch that Rere is a boat-anchor by currently aero road bike standards 😱
If I could afford one of the top-end aero frame sets a la BMC, Trek, or Specialized I would buy it. The new color ways on the Madone are amazing. Press is less so but to be expected. The delta between a Rere and Madone frame set (assuming it's same as 2018) is likely ~$600-$800 which is quite a bit without even factoring in the price of the Madone bar which is another $600. One could be expected to spend an extra $1,200-$1,400 or enough for a power meter or decent used disc wheelset.

Unfortunately Scott and Canyon among others don't seem to sell frame sets in the US. Rules out a lot of companies when factoring in cost and availability. :noidea:

silvalis

by silvalis

Svetty wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 pm
It's definitely not the lightest (~1150g?) but it's priced on par with everyone else's 2nd tier frames of similar weight.
Chasse patate

stevey028

by stevey028

Jere wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm
Hi

I’ve been on a 2012 Cervelo S5 with aero brakes and handle bars 6 years.
I just traded it in for a Felt AR1 just moved the parts over and have a few hundred miles on it.
These new bikes really hit the marks lighter by a little, stiffer and handles great.
Set two PRs with it but how can you call anything a PR when your old and slower !
I was just looking to run 25/28 mm tires and was really surprised I like the bike.
So I think if you want to save a lot of money , buy a leftover model 2018
JB
Very good advice, I'm tryig to do that very thing right now. `frustrating to see all the improvements on the 2019 model but buyinh a 2018 is saving a lot...

AJS914

by AJS914

I was thinking that a 1st gen Venge with an integrated cockpit and some Farsports wheels would make a great budget aero bike.

silvalis

by silvalis

I'd probably take an allez sprint over the 1st G venge.
Chasse patate

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Anyone know if the Madone will be sold as a frameset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octave

by octave

for those curious about the supersix evo hi-mod frame damaged by delta baggage handlers that i mentioned in previous--

it was in a SciCon Aerocomfort 2.0 TSA bag. i had taken a dozen flights with it before and had not issues. not sure what delta did, but the right shifter had been rotated in and the handlebars spun to the left; the bike had come out of the rear quick release attachment on the internal metal frame and it just gouged the hell out of the chainstays. it took a while, but they ponied up $1300.... not the complete new off the shelf value, but it was better than nothing.

i have since switched to an Evoc Travel Bag Pro... it seems a bit more secure than the SciCon, plus the scicon's metal frame had been twisted to unusability by Delta (something i did not notice right away otherwise delta would have paid for that too)....