2019 Venge, Madone, Timemachine Road, SystemSix? No thanks, Chapter 2 Rere for me

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

octave

by octave

i have been waiting for a while to turn my cash into a new aero bike, so i was greatly looking forward to the launch of the 2019 models. but in the wake of all the new big name 2019 aero bike launches, i can't help but think... nah, i will take a Chapter2 Rere.

price: for my economic situation, something like a $5500 venge frameset is impossible. $2600 for the rere is still painful, but manageable.

aesthetic: i like how it looks. no lunch box like the BMC, it isn't seemingly made of lego shapes like the systemsix. the venge looks good, but the rere for me is just as nice (check out some of the close-ups on their website: https://us.chapter2bikes.com/rere-range.html/)

performance: i trust cyclingtips and they seemed quite happy with it (https://cyclingtips.com/2018/06/chapter ... et-review/). i want to go fast, but i also want it to be serviceable (rim brakes are easy and fewer cable routing headaches are the things that come first to mind). i can see the advantages of disc brakes, but given my riding style, i do not need them and do not plan to change until there is no other choice.

geometry: the size L rere is pretty much perfect for me. i could run my 110mm stem as usual, but with about 10mm fewer spacers under the stem compared to my 2013 Foil or my 2016 cannondale supersix evo hi-mod (may it RIP, shame on delta baggage handlers), which would make me happy.

anyway... just some thoughts after this bounteous week of aero-bike launches (or as cannondale says, it's not an aero bike... whatever, marketing, blah blah. that being said, i see what they are getting at: some day "aero" road bike will simply be the standard all-rounder as companies begin to perfect the weight/comfort/aerodynamic triad.).

anyone have other experiences of the rere to add to cyclingtips review?

in cycledarity,

o

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

That's a lot of words to say "I don't like disc brakes".

I was in the same boat as you, but needed a bike at the beginning of this season and wanted discs. And I didn't know all these new bikes were coming out. So I bought an Aeroad disc, which was much cheaper than all the big names.

Too bad I didn't wait, I love the look of the new Venge.

octave

by octave

it's not just discs vs rim.

it is aesthetics, geometry and price, as well.

and i agree-- the new venge looks great. if it were not $5500 for the frameset, it would be very interesting, even with discs!
Last edited by octave on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAsshole

by MAsshole

I wish they'd make the Rere w/ discs.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

you were never in the budget range for a top tier Aero bike from the big mfg anyways.... you had to know they were going to be 10K plus right? based on existing rim brake version price alone ?

Sorry... but this thread is just a rant.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mag

by mag

Rere disc is supposed to become available in late August.

octave

by octave

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:21 pm
you were never in the budget range for a top tier Aero bike from the big mfg anyways.... you had to know they were going to be 10K plus right? based on existing rim brake version price alone ?

Sorry... but this thread is just a rant.
sorry if it came off as a rant, it was intended to be observations that directed me towards the rere over the others. if the venge were cheaper, i would really be tempted by it, even with disc brakes.

as for price, cannondale makes a systemsix as a complete bike for $4000, which would be in my budget if i were buying a complete bike. but, as mentioned above it does not appeal to me aesthetically. BMC and Specialized would have stuff in my range, if they were to release an 02 and Expert range, respectively, but not sure when that will happen. BMC is a little less interesting than the venge, as some of the things you are paying for i would prefer to have had otherwise (i.e., not a fan of the proprietary bottle cage and built in lunch box).

the madone looks pretty sweet. but, still out of my price range...

MAsshole

by MAsshole

mag wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:27 pm
Rere disc is supposed to become available in late August.
:thumbup:

Just as I'm looking for a new bike...

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Although I'm extremely impressed by the new aero bikes rolled out this week, I'm anxiously awaiting my Rere any day now!! Ordered it a couple weeks ago as a frameset only as I'm not ready to dive into disc yet as I have some nice wheels that I don't want to depart with yet. Price was good too. Funny that Octave also had a Scott Foil. I'm going from a 58cm 2015 Foil to a Rere in large.

jch3n

by jch3n

I think we're still waiting on the new Fuji Transonic too. Might be something in your price range.

octave

by octave

@adilosnave -- what a coincidence! i am looking forward to hearing your impressions, especially since you are familiar with the scott foil. the rere geometry is really perfect for me. similar to you, i have a nice set of aero wheels that still have a lot of life left in them, which also makes the jump to disc hard for me to justify. what color rere did you get?

@jch3n-- that is a good reminder; i had forgotten about the transonic update

monkeytusmc

by monkeytusmc

Just curious, did delta offer any compensation on your bike?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmendoza87

by mmendoza87

Fully in agreement that the latest crop of aero bikes that were announced last week are a bit too angular and squarish and the Rere is one of the better looking aero bikes out there. It’s also tiring to see the “refined-angular” aesthetic being used on everything on a bike now (Shimano’s latest gereration of components for instance.)

I ride in a dusty and dirty area (SE Asia) so my next bike i’m looking for disc brakes, which the Rere doesn’t have unfortunately.

I’m also curious about your Delta Airines story and what happened? Did they offer any compensation? How was your bike packed?

moonoi

by moonoi

If you want a disc brake Rere, you can pre-order with Chapter2 now for an approx August release/launch.

I went with a Colnago Concept disc back in December last year, the frame just arrived this week, otherwise I also would have opted for a Rere.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MAsshole

by MAsshole

moonoi wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 am
If you want a disc brake Rere, you can pre-order with Chapter2 now for an approx August release/launch.

I went with a Colnago Concept disc back in December last year, the frame just arrived this week, otherwise I also would have opted for a Rere.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Do you have to email them or something and just ask for the ability to do so?