Would you buy Campagnolo 11sp EPS v3 right now?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Don't forget with Garmin's it can change the screen and start laps with the mode buttons. Wahoo hasn't bothered to support this except on the proprietary DI2 system.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm
buy it if you have a Garmin to show the gears.
Quick question...
With v3, after a gear change, garmin 1000 shows the gear I am in for 4-5 seconds and then it switches to zero (until I change the gear again.) Anybody else is experiencing this?

TonyM

by TonyM

kwakekeham wrote:Don't forget with Garmin's it can change the screen and start laps with the mode buttons. (...).
Where do you make these settings?
In the MyCampy App or in the Garmin?

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Go into add sensors, sensor type is "Edge Remote". I don't think they've advertised the feature much. It's only talked about in the firmware release file on the mycampy site. Surprisingly can only find the italian.

https://mycampy.campagnolo.com/media/fi ... 3%20IT.pdf

Anyway. Edge remotes, which should really really really be called "Generic Remote" works backwards, so it's a little annoying to setup. So to support multiple remotes the head unit is the sensor - it's like how multple head units can see a powermeter.

So add sensor (which, as mentioned is actually the edge turning itself into the sensor, so it broadcasts... remotes respond exactly how it works on powermeters when you send them a cal command but in reverse.), it'll "search" which is it just waiting for a response from anything... now press the left mode button 5 times and the right mode button five times and then when the edge says "remote found" press either of the mode buttons once to save the cycle computer. The EPS system will only remember one cycle computer at at time. The multiple mode presses in a short period puts in into search mode. I can't remember if it will only find one device and ping it or if it's like the garmin disc shaped edge remote where if you don't push the mode button to save it if it searches for the next.

implemented in firmware 1.7.5 for the wireless module last year, and updated again last month to 1.7.12 to improve it.

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks! :thumbup:

I have found it, connect it, etc.....But I am a little bit disappointed as I thought that you could navigate between the screens of the Garmin (like the Di2). Did I oversee something in oder to do that?

neeb

by neeb

So I got Record 11sp EPS and it's brilliant! Can't believe I put off going electronic for so long..

Fitting - I found it more fiddly than mechanical to install (although that may just be because it's so different and I've installed an awful lot of mechanical groupsets in my time..) but easier than mechanical to set up / tweak for perfect shifting.

Added 100g over mechanical Record.

Can't get used to the fact that I don't need to leave the bike in the smallest sprocket & chainring to prevent cable stretch.. ;-)

It just confirms my opinion that the range of sprocket options currently being offered with 12sp is a major peoblem though. EPS is so effortless and smooth to shift that you want the increments to be as small as possible so that you can always be in the perfect gear.

Miller

by Miller

neeb wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:46 am
So I got Record 11sp EPS and it's brilliant! Can't believe I put off going electronic for so long..
Yay! It's good isn't it. Yes, fitting it is an interesting exercise in threading cables and perhaps taking a round file or even a drill to certain holes to open them up a little. But once done it's done. You're right about effortless, I think I started shifting more often when I went EPS.

jih

by jih

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with 11s EPS but I personally wouldn’t buy a top-end 11s groupset from a maker who has just launched 12s. Because the countdown to obselecence has started.

Having said that, with pro teams being mostly on electronic, it doesn’t look like any of them care that much for the 12th gear.

Weird that Campag now have different numbers of speeds for mechanical and electronic.

Weird for a company to be making 12s but their sponsored riders all be on 11.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Are they really not going to release a tighter 12s cassette? A 12-27 would be pretty nice. As it is now, for a flat ride it would be worse than an 11s 12-25 for example, which has at least one more (18t) sprocket in the middle for cruising. And in the hills we mostly use the smallest or biggest sprockets, not the middle were that extra 16t was added compared tot he old 11-29. Right now it makes sense to switch if you constantly do rides were you mix flats and hills in equal amounts and more important, like the looks. As I do either full flat or full hill rides, i prefer to stay with two 11s cassettes: 12-25 and 11-32. Swapping cassettes (or wheels) is a lesser inconvenince than bigger jumps on flats. I know they used to ride on 6s but for fast flat riding small jumps are trully nice especialy when wind sticks its tail in.

11-12-13-14-15-16-17------19---22---25--28-32
11-12-13-14-15-16-17------19-21-23----26-29
____12-13-14-15-16-17--18-19-21-23-25

themidge

by themidge

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:21 am
. I know they used to ride on 6s but for fast flat riding small jumps are trully nice especialy when wind sticks its tail in.
Yeah 6 speed blocks (with any kind of useful range) are pretty bad for on the flat. I have a 14-28 on my Vitus and you basically have two gears for the flat, and one for downhill!

I think Campy need to release 12 speed EPS as soon as they can, otherwise the hype will die, after all, if the pros aren't using it, it won't sell as well.

neeb

by neeb

jih wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:11 am
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with 11s EPS but I personally wouldn’t buy a top-end 11s groupset from a maker who has just launched 12s. Because the countdown to obselecence has started.
Doesn't bother me. It'll be the best part of a year before we see 12sp EPS and I'm sure it will be possible to get 11sp cassettes and chains for almost ever after that. I also prefer the aesthetics of 11sp EPS over at least the mechanical 12sp (the rear DR especially), it just seems more refined in terms of the materials used. I suspect I'll be using this groupset until it stops working.. (although I've been wrong about such immunity to upgrade-itis in the past.. ;-))

neeb

by neeb

Miller wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:31 am
neeb wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:46 am
Yay! It's good isn't it. Yes, fitting it is an interesting exercise in threading cables and perhaps taking a round file or even a drill to certain holes to open them up a little. But once done it's done. You're right about effortless, I think I started shifting more often when I went EPS.
I also find anything that involves removing the crankset a hassle, mainly because of that damn clip on the drive side which is even more difficult to access on the P2M cranks..

My BB30 cups are loctited in and no way was I going to remove them just to install that plastic insert that keeps the cables away from the shaft. In the end I compromised by removing one end from the insert and cutting it at both ends so that I could insert it into the BB without removing the cups. It isn't fixed in place relative to the crank shaft as it would be if it was fitted properly but it will rotate around the shaft if a wire gets snagged.. fingers crossed. Cables seem to be well out of the way anyway.

Miller

by Miller

neeb wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:51 pm
I also find anything that involves removing the crankset a hassle, mainly because of that damn clip on the drive side which is even more difficult to access on the P2M cranks..
I have a P2M Campag crank on the TT bike, must admit I decided not to install the clip for that one. Hasn't been an issue.

jih

by jih

neeb wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:38 pm
Doesn't bother me. It'll be the best part of a year before we see 12sp EPS and I'm sure it will be possible to get 11sp cassettes and chains for almost ever after that. I also prefer the aesthetics of 11sp EPS over at least the mechanical 12sp (the rear DR especially), it just seems more refined in terms of the materials used. I suspect I'll be using this groupset until it stops working.. (although I've been wrong about such immunity to upgrade-itis in the past.. ;-))
If I had an 11s setup from the last few years (actually I have several) I feel no pressure to upgrade to 12. But with 12 already out, buying 11 just feels wrong to me. Personal thing perhaps.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I heard there were going to be a few more cassete options once EPS comes out... I could see an 11-27 block in 12...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com