Would you buy Campagnolo 11sp EPS v3 right now?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

11-27 would be great indeed in 12s

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Doesn't 12 speed require a new freehub body?

I would buy it if it was for a discount price and if it was for a rim brake road bike.
Just bought Etap (11 speed) for my Vial Evo and i have no regrets.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:41 am
Doesn't 12 speed require a new freehub body?

I would buy it if it was for a discount price and if it was for a rim brake road bike.
Just bought Etap (11 speed) for my Vial Evo and i have no regrets.
Nope.. the beauty of Campy.. any Campy freehub will support 9-12 on the SAME freehub!!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That's great!
But how thin are those 12 speed cogs?
Won't they wear down pretty fast?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I wouldnt expect anything to wear any more quickly than 11s to be honest... the chainline was moved 1mm outboard to accomodate the new range, and its a new narrower chain... EPS 12 is currently being worked on... Ive heard rumors of semi wireless.. was honestly very surprised it didn't show up at the Tour... maybe its a surprise for the Vuelta..

jih

by jih

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 pm
That's great!
Guess in the same way that 11 wore faster than 10, 12 will wear faster than 11. I didn't notice much difference going from 10 to 11. The smaller sprockets always wear fastest anyway because the load is spread over fewer teeth, and the medium ones because they're used the most.

I think of it as the sprockets are thinner, but instead of each sprocket being used for 1/11th of the time, it'll be used for 1/12th of the time. Of course, in practice the 'extra' sprocket will probably be somewhere on the cassette that you don't use all that much.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

jih wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:09 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 pm
That's great!
Guess in the same way that 11 wore faster than 10, 12 will wear faster than 11. I didn't notice much difference going from 10 to 11. The smaller sprockets always wear fastest anyway because the load is spread over fewer teeth, and the medium ones because they're used the most.

I think of it as the sprockets are thinner, but instead of each sprocket being used for 1/11th of the time, it'll be used for 1/12th of the time. Of course, in practice the 'extra' sprocket will probably be somewhere on the cassette that you don't use all that much.
Im not sure if the new 12s have titanium cogs at all.. but I never used the Super Record blocks on my 11s.. I always purchased the Record blocks. I learned twice wearing out the 17 cog on SR 11-23 block... I moved to Record Blocks and never had an issue since the 17 cog was not Ti... Cogs will wear... regular cleaning and maintenance will def prolong life!!