Would you buy Campagnolo 11sp EPS v3 right now?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

Currently running mechanical 11sp record and tempted to upgrade to EPS. I know that 12sp EPS will be along shortly, but judging from mechanical 12sp (heavy, big-sprocket focussed, limited gearing options that don’t suit me) I’m not sure what I’d gain from waiting. Wireless perhaps? And the upgrade path would be much more expensive.

I’ve almost no experience with electronic shifting. Is EPS v3 widely regarded as a refined system? Are there likely to be any really significant improvements in 12sp EPS?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Rumor is wireless.. if if you have a crank based PM, dont expect "perfect" compatibility... heard another couple of blocks would be available... dont expect to see it in North America til early 2019 (Right from Campy USA)

Seedster

by Seedster

I just picked up H11 EPS because I dont expect 12 speed EPS to be available any time soon. I have had no issues with EPS V3 except for the software from the Campagnolo smartphone app. I dont know what the 12s V4 will entail, but I think you would be happy with v3 for now

nestornnk

by nestornnk

12 speed EPS will not be available before spring 2019...
According to the rumors will be semi wireless...

audiojan

by audiojan

Absolutely I would. EPS 11 is still performing extremely well and you can start to see some decent pricing.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

LionelB

by LionelB

What's semi wireless ?

To answer the OP, if budget is not a pb you can get v3 now and see whatever happens with v4.

My F10 is EPS v2 and watching switching the EPS v2 from the F8 to the F10 I sure wished it was wireless !

Broady

by Broady

Semi wireless is like the FSA solution, derailleurs are wired to each other / battery and shifters aren't connected.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

I get the current 11s and enjoy it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

EPS has an internal wiring loom to deal with, certainly. My experience is with EPS v2 where the siting of the charge point is always something that needs to be considered. EPS v3 simplified that with charging via the interface unit and made the battery smaller to give more options there.

I also wonder what semi-wireless might mean in practice. Could it be wireless connection from front to back of the bike, ie nothing through the downtube, would that be worthwhile? Most of the wiring issues relate to having an internal battery and Sram got round that by attached batteries direct to the derailleurs. That might be inelegant from Campag's viewpoint and is probably ring-fenced by patents anyway.

But to answer the actual question, yes buy EPS now. EPS v4 will be a while and will cost a fortune. Maybe there will be some EPS discounting later this year...

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Your question is the same I have. Currently have 1 bike with Record 10sp, which frankly I love more the tactile feel and short throw than 11sp, and 2 bikes (pre and post ‘15) with SR 11sp. After serious consideration, I think I’ll switch the 10sp to eps 12sp when it comes out and leave it with a compact as the designated climbing bike, one 11sp will remain mechanical, and will switch the other to eps v3 SR now.

scb

by scb

I've got 2 bikes with EPS V3 and it has been bulletproof. I'm facing same dilemma on a new bike that should be arriving before end of year that will be disc with all internal routing. I was hoping V4 would be out before year end, but it's not looking likely. So I'm not sure what I will do--might just let frame sit until V4 arrives since I'm not crazy about Di2 or Etap.

TonyM

by TonyM

I had SR mech. on my C60 and I wanted to have electronic shifting as I really enjoy my DA Di2 on my two other bikes.

The “upgrade” to EPS V3 was good. Pricing is ok. Availability is ok.
And I just “only” needed to change the shifters, FD, RD and add the battery and interface. I bought also a pair of SR brakes as I have already a SR crankset left so that I could now also built another bike with SR mech.

I suppose that as soon as the EPS V4 12 speed will be officially presented, the EPS V3 will not be that easy to get.

I would go for EPS V3 now - except if you want the latest or if you want/ need 12 speed.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Yes, bulletproof (I've had mine since June 2012 & upgraded to v3 a couple years ago).
Most comfortable levers ever made.
Yes, buy it if you have a Garmin to show the gears.
When 12s comes out, you will likely be able to use it with a new chain, but only on 11 cogs (unless there is a software upgrade.)
Chain catchers are almost mandatory. I like the FD-SR003.

neeb

by neeb

Useful stuff, thanks all. I'm using an ELEMNT bolt right now, looks like that supports EPS too.

Tempting! That said, I was out today on a beautiful summer evening on the new bike I built up just over a week ago (Ridley Helium SLX), and the mechanical Record was shifting just perfectly, that satisfying *CLUNK* on every upshift , and even the front shifting on the latest rings is pretty smooth. It's really just the downshift (i.e. to larger sprockets) that I can see EPS being a significant improvement on - that same beefy spring that gives those crisp upshifts needs a fair push in the other direction..

Since this is WW - I'm estimating that going from current 11sp mechanical Record to EPS Record migth add about 100g? It's difficult to work out precisely without knowing the weights of the cables, wires, and other extraneous bits & bobs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

neeb wrote:Useful stuff, thanks all. I'm using an ELEMNT bolt right now, looks like that supports EPS too.

Tempting! That said, I was out today on a beautiful summer evening on the new bike I built up just over a week ago (Ridley Helium SLX), and the mechanical Record was shifting just perfectly, that satisfying *CLUNK* on every upshift , and even the front shifting on the latest rings is pretty smooth. It's really just the downshift (i.e. to larger sprockets) that I can see EPS being a significant improvement on - that same beefy spring that gives those crisp upshifts needs a fair push in the other direction..

Since this is WW - I'm estimating that going from current 11sp mechanical Record to EPS Record migth add about 100g? It's difficult to work out precisely without knowing the weights of the cables, wires, and other extraneous bits & bobs.
80g in my case.