LOOK abs Shimano pedal float?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I have been using my LOOK Keo 2 pedals for several years now, but I have noticed that, unlike the Shimano pedals previous, the LOOK pedals seem to have no resistance in the float, so it doesn’t self centre your foot?

So, I am find my foot has 4 degrees of float, which I think my foot starts to move/wiggle around when pushing on up the hills, so my it’s not tracking straight and notice my muscles at the ankle/shin start to have a very faint ache to them.

Is this just me? The cleats are setup fine also, and saddle height.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

That slight amount of float should not be the problem. Typically knee/leg tracking is a matter of discipline. You have to stay aware and back off or spin up when going up the hills. Mashing will put extra stress on the knee and because it's a joint and not as rigid as the leg, it will move just a little. Some people prefer this float. You might want to move your saddle back just a touch, or raise it a touch.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The only road pedal systems I know of that don't exert a centering force on the cleat are Speedplay and Keywin. With the others like Look and Shimano, the float is allowed by pushing open the rear retention clip on the pedal by the cleat's changing orientation, meaning the cleat is effectively bigger than when it is pointed straight ahead (eg. diagonal of a square being longer than the sides).

PLuKE

by PLuKE

The Shimano pedals I had before, made your foot spring back to a central point, where as the LOOK I have don’t, they have some resistance free float, which I think doesn’t help when your out of the saddle.

I have less float with these LOOK cleats. I spin to win up hills, and my fit is all ok.

Luke