Trek Domane SLR headset / front IsoSpeed decoupler creaking

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
steelaxis

by steelaxis

Hello,
So I just got a new Trek Domane SL5 2019 and I discovered the same issue as sennder, a 2mm gap between the headtube cover and the isospeed top cap.
I contacted trek by email, will see what they say about that.
since I have not had the time to ride the bike yet I don't know if it cause any issue but this is definitely not normal.
20190208_231717.jpg
20190208_231757.jpg

sennder

by sennder

steelaxis wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:07 am
Hello,
So I just got a new Trek Domane SL5 2019 and I discovered the same issue as sennder, a 2mm gap between the headtube cover and the isospeed top cap.
I contacted trek by email, will see what they say about that.
since I have not had the time to ride the bike yet I don't know if it cause any issue but this is definitely not normal.
I took my bike back to the LBS after I noticed the gap. The mechanic said that it wasn't normal and removed 2 of the 4 thin washers he had installed. Turns out that the washers are supposed to be included with the bike (my frameset supplier had failed to include them), and an adjustable number are installed to ensure no creaking and no gap.

Take it back to your LBS and they should be able to remove a couple of washers for you. While you're there, have them stuff the front isospeed with grease (standard practice at most shops).

--Sennder

by Weenie