steerer tube extender?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Im looking for an easy solution to extending a carbon steerer tube. I want to add some height to the stem but am limited bc of the lack of available steerer tube. I know I could buy a new fork, i've seen alloy steertube extenders that fit onto the steer tube but I feel those look ugly. What are some known solutions people have experienced with?

AJS914

by AJS914

There is no such extender for a carbon steerer tube. Your best bet is probably an upward sloping stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

You might not have to go that extreme. Just flip a standard 6 or 8 degree stem so it points up. Even a 90 degree stem will put you a cm or two higher.

2lo8

by 2lo8

You should note that when you start getting to angles like that, it really throws off the effective reach if those are C-C measurements. The perpendiuclar (equivalent to a 90/0 degree stem with spacers) measurement for a 6 degree stem is about 99.5mm for a 100mm stem. A 40 degree 100mm stem is only about 76.6mm pependiuclar distance. That's compounded by the fact that a steerer is angled back, so the bar being ~50mm higher means that the bar will be ~15mm back due to head tube angle.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

Just fit an upward sloping stem
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa