New eeBrakes, v4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vermu

by Vermu

Swapped my old Sram aerolinks for EE, fire and forget.
Just needed to do housing as well. Super easy imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Serious question (though I'm hoping for a particular answer): Do EE brakes wear out? If yes, what's a usual indicator?

Mine are from 2013 and the barrel adjusters for widening / narrowing the pads are getting wobbly. They still seem to scrub speed as designed, but I suspect I wouldn't recognize a gradual loss of ability over time.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

wheelsONfire wrote:
C36 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:47 am
wheelbuilder wrote:Wow, EE's are particularly easy to set up in my opinion. Obviously not as easy as Shimano but far less fussy than other boutique brakes.
I have to admit that their sensitivity to housing length is extremely annoying. Since I moved on a smaller super six evo (50) I tried 5 or 6 housing length and can’t get the rear brake to properly come back...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
What gen are you using?
Gen 3. On the size 54 frame it was « ok » (had to tune it finely but got it working) on the 50, impossible. The eeBrakes pull the housing end down when you brake, having enough housing length make quite a curve that generate drag, reducing the curvature... end up being short. Having Aican Bugarus didn’t improved over traditional housing (i would even say it deteriorated it, but it allowed to try housing length adding ferrules one by one)... I read there is a « stronger » spring, that may be the mitigation ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

benp

by benp

Just fitted a pair to my C60, after originally trying SRAM Red, DA9000 and the latest FSA K-Force. All actuated by my SRAM Red Etap levers.
I am a big rider @110kg and need something effective to slow me down, (as gravity is very effective with me).

I reused my Jagwire Elite Link outers, but introduced a short length of std brake outer into the adjuster extending into cable to link adaptor. Once the inners were replaced, the brakes work brilliantly.
Just done shy of 90miles with 6500’ ascent ( equal decent), in some very tough cold and wet conditions.

Very confidence inspiring. The design of these units minimises flex which reduces the effective force applied to the rims. Cost just under £500 for the pair but it’s one weight weenie purchase I have not been disappointed with.

(Can’t compare to DA9500 or any Campagno units as I’ve never used them)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gitsome

by gitsome

Just upgraded my 2006 SL Moots with gen4's to get extra clearance for use w reynolds aero 65s. They replaced the sr skeletons (2018) on there, gained at least 5 mm space above the tire and half the weight, only one ride on them so far but very happy and impressed w both clearance (on such an old frame too) and response (modulation, stopping). Not cheap but worthy investment in a bike and wheelset i really enjoy riding. Mechs at lbs couldnt stop gushing about them so doesnt seem too many issues in setup either. Time will tell...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

ichobi

by ichobi

Is this the same units that come with Tarmac SL6?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Just bought an upgrade kit from Cane Creek for my 2015-2016 Legacy brakes.
Legacy link (*2), cable adjuster assembly (*2) and two spare legacy springs.
It took me 15 minutes to de-assemble and re-assemble.
Cost 205 USD excl shipping.

I think the Gen 4, has another design of the spring. Mine is more round and the new looks a little flatter (might be wrong though)?
Anyway, my set can't be fitted with other springs than original short version springs.

Full set incl pads is spot on 200 grams.

Updated mine for fun mostly. Otherwise superb brakes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Anyone know where you can buy spares for EEs?

I’ve lost the little plastic cradle piece that sits between brake and cable tension adjuster...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

sungod

by sungod

if you need only that piece i would email cc and ask

you can get a a complete adjuster assembly https://www.canecreek.com/product/brake ... cessories/

the uk distributor is https://www.extrauk.co.uk/ they will (or ought to!) know if they import them and which retailer(s) to try

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

sungod wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:13 am
if you need only that piece i would email cc and ask

you can get a a complete adjuster assembly https://www.canecreek.com/product/brake ... cessories/

the uk distributor is https://www.extrauk.co.uk/ they will (or ought to!) know if they import them and which retailer(s) to try
Cheers mate :thumbup:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

2old4this wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:41 am
I do not know how good they are but here are the 4th version. they are light...
http://www.canecreek.com/product/eebrakes-g4/
They look like crap. Like something someone hacked together in their garage.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's funny, some people really dislike the looks of EE brakes, personally i love the look.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Beaver

by Beaver

Really? :noidea: :mrgreen:

kode54

by kode54

i upgraded 3 of mine..and not the last set i bought...mainly because there was nothing technically wrong (and like you, i really didn't need to upgrade any at all).

it gave me the opportunity to take them apart and clean them, reassemble with the upgraded parts for a refresh. what was interesting was most of the parts were similar, wtih the exception of the center adjuster. there's more friction to it...in response to owners saying that it was too loose and required too much adjusting since it moved alot....is what i was told.

i like my older brakes since all the parts are all black and not shiny silver bits here and there.

the newer spring won't work in the older brakes due to the longer end which requires a different brake arch that has two holes. the newer versions are more secure, as i have lost one older spring since it worked its way out.

otherwise, all in all, a nice upgrade and the disassemby and reassembly made the brakes feel like new.
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:09 am
Just bought an upgrade kit from Cane Creek for my 2015-2016 Legacy brakes.
Legacy link (*2), cable adjuster assembly (*2) and two spare legacy springs.
It took me 15 minutes to de-assemble and re-assemble.
Cost 205 USD excl shipping.

I think the Gen 4, has another design of the spring. Mine is more round and the new looks a little flatter (might be wrong though)?
Anyway, my set can't be fitted with other springs than original short version springs.

Full set incl pads is spot on 200 grams.

Updated mine for fun mostly. Otherwise superb brakes.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

the new cable adjusters with plastic piece is so much better and smoother to adjust than previous versions.
ryanw wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:53 am
Anyone know where you can buy spares for EEs?

I’ve lost the little plastic cradle piece that sits between brake and cable tension adjuster...
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc