New eeBrakes, v4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

I have version 1 and they work fine except.......... I broke one of the concave shoe washers (my fault) I emailed ee and canecreek....... no answer from either......bit disappointing tbh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

corky wrote:I have version 1 and they work fine except.......... I broke one of the concave shoe washers (my fault) I emailed ee and canecreek....... no answer from either......bit disappointing tbh.
Strange I asked about those same washers that I lost in a move and got a. Answer within a week.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

tarmacslider

by tarmacslider

I have dealt with both. When cane creek took over it was just like dealing with Craig. They were both fast and very courteous. Now one thing to remember they are in an area were life has been affected by a natrual disaster. http://coablog.ashevillenc.gov/2018/09/ ... -florence/
Maybe this is why response time is slow. I know a vendor we use is still not producing.

Stockie

by Stockie

I’m setting up the G4 brakes with jagwire elite linked cabkes. What ferrules do i need to use to seat the housing in the brake calipers?
I Will make the leap

alanyu

by alanyu

Stockie wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:20 pm
I’m setting up the G4 brakes with jagwire elite linked cabkes. What ferrules do i need to use to seat the housing in the brake calipers?
I have G3 and elite links. I use full link housings from the lever to the caliper, and also dig the hole of the adjusting screw larger to ~2.8mm to let the liner go through the screw, preventing the friction between the cable and the screw.

MisterEd

by MisterEd

akaspin wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 pm
Ok. Bought them. One week of pain during install. Damn! Craig! I want same drugs.

1. One bolt broken. Ok. It’s my mistake. But 5Nm Craig! Five! Alu bolts on 300 euro brake?!
2. Adjusting screw is insane. Internal diameter is 5mm. Length is 22mm. Hole is 2mm. Ferrules? Liner? Ok half an hour with file and liner finally fits.
3. “Housing should sits naturally”. Yeah! All frame manufacturers are sleeping and thinking about 25 degree and 7mm play.
4. Small one. Metal washers not prevents brake rotation.
5. “Stiffer spring” is too stiff.
6. Craig. I have serious question. Why without lube your brakes squeaks under load? Small shim in top junktion. Can you think about this?

Conclusion: lot of pain on install but good brakes..
Sorry for the dredge!

I've got a pair of ~2015 ee brakes which have recently started squealing to the point where I don't want to use them.

They're used with Enve 4.5 with the textured brake track but when I use these wheels on another bike with Campagnolo super record callipers there is no squeal so I'm looking to the ee brakes for the cause.

I noticed that you said "Why without lube your brakes squeaks" and was wondering which part should be lubed and with what?

(I'm wondering if the squealing started after I cleaned them or changed something).

I'm a little reluctant to try the older Enve pads as I don't think they'll last very long in the wet.

Any help appreciated!

corky

by corky

I'd change the pads before anything else, if not, take a scourer to the current pads and refresh the surface.

I've had my EE brake gen 1s for about 8 years now, never needed lubing anywhere. Although have taken them off bike(s) soaked them in detergent and remounted.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I've got gen1 EE's I think (might be 2) never lubed anything, just cleaned with a baby wipe now and then. Brake squeal could be pad alignment/toe in or pad/rim combo if the compound if different to your SR calipers
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

MisterEd

by MisterEd

Thanks for the replies.

I should have mentioned I'm using Enve black pads on both bikes as recommended by Enve.

On the ee brakes I've replaced the pads with a new set and tried toeing in. I've filed them if they've looked a little glazed but the squealing doesn't go away.

The ee brakes are on an Enve 2.0 fork on a Speedvagen with Campagnolo SR, and it happens on the front and rear.

Is there any rebuild/service guide for the brakes? I might take them apart and clean them then if that doesn't help switch to Enve grey pads as a last attempt.

corky

by corky

I used enve pads on my enve 45 tubular rims, but much preferred Campagnolo red pads, Reynolds blue pads and edco red pads over the enve, worse we're Swiss top black prince and the yellow ones. NB. None of them squealed. As I said though these were gen 1s. Geometry and materials are different.

I'm sure there's a solution but sometimes these things take a while to track down and correct.

2000m2

by 2000m2

Is the main advantage of the eeBrakes weight savings or do they provide improved braking performance as well?

jesper2913

by jesper2913

2000m2 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:49 am
Is the main advantage of the eeBrakes weight savings or do they provide improved braking performance as well?
According to most reviews Dura Ace is the best rimbrake. Super Records are close or around the same. ee Brakes aren't at that level. But they are supposed to be pretty good. So weightsavings are the main advantage.

C36

by C36

2000m2 wrote:Is the main advantage of the eeBrakes weight savings or do they provide improved braking performance as well?
Un my experience, its braking as powerful as the DA (but tuning is more complex) and excellent modulation, way lighter, a bit more aero and the pad holder allow you to swap 4 pads in 15 seconds.

C36

by C36

On the v4 launch, I recall reading the brake had an opcional stronger spring for the frames with continuous brake housing.
The 2 dealers I contacted have no idea about this (and Cane creek advise ton contact the local dealer…). Did I dream this stronger brake or it really exist?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

harblhat

by harblhat

C36 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:06 pm
On the v4 launch, I recall reading the brake had an opcional stronger spring for the frames with continuous brake housing.
The 2 dealers I contacted have no idea about this (and Cane creek advise ton contact the local dealer…). Did I dream this stronger brake or it really exist?
The 4th gen brakes all have a stiffer return spring. I don't think it's an option, per se.

From https://canecreek.com/product/eebrakes/:
The eeBrake G4 is the fourth generation of the legendary eeBrake featuring 100% CNC machined parts, a wider design optimized for 22 – 28mm rims, stiffer black arch spring, a revised one-piece center adjuster with built in resistance for easier use and ghosted laser etching that will stand the test of time
I actually swapped my 3rd gen silver springs with someone who had 4th gen black springs and they are considerably stiffer. I had to slightly drill out the existing holes in the arms to fit them.