2019 bike roll out jam

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
robeambro

by robeambro

C36 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:23 am
robeambro wrote:What I found rather unexpected was the low comfort rating for the SystemSix. If you browse the thread here on ww (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... &start=495), the few people who got it are all very enthusiastic about the comfort..
Now, who's right?
Could tires be the cause? They mentioned Vittoria ones were quite bad (never ever understood how you can send a test bike with anything else than premium tires.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
I would guess the reviewers paid attention to inflating the tyres at reasonable pressure. Now, how bad could a set of tyres be? The reviewers seemed pretty harsh, i find it difficult to believe that it all comes down to the wrong tyre choice.
:noidea:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

robeambro wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 am
I would guess the reviewers paid attention to inflating the tyres at reasonable pressure.
Maybe, but they're definitely wrong about 25mm being the limit you can use which isn't a good start.

I guess it depends where your reference is. I would expect the Madone to be more comfortable over bigger hits than the SystemSix. It seems unlikely that the Venge frame could be a lot lighter, just as stiff and significantly more compliant than the SystemSix, but maybe it really is that good :noidea:

by Weenie

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:10 am
I think Cannondale should educate customer about lowering pressure for wide wheelset too.
25c on 15mm internal width and 25c on 21mm internal width require very different pressure.
Over inflating the 25c on 21mm (using pressure that suite for 25c on 15mm internal width) will kill comfort of any bike.
Hi Hexsense,

Yep. We recommend inflating based on the measured width, not the labelled width.

We're studying different ways of defining optimum pressure:
  • For performance: Rolling resistance, aero drag (there should be an optimum for different road surfaces)
  • For comfort: spring rate and vibration transmission (usually lower is better)
  • For practicality: pinch flats are still possible (higher is better)
What has been your experience?

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

Stueys

by Stueys

DamonRinard wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:10 pm
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:10 am
I think Cannondale should educate customer about lowering pressure for wide wheelset too.
25c on 15mm internal width and 25c on 21mm internal width require very different pressure.
Over inflating the 25c on 21mm (using pressure that suite for 25c on 15mm internal width) will kill comfort of any bike.
Hi Hexsense,

Yep. We recommend inflating based on the measured width, not the labelled width.

We're studying different ways of defining optimum pressure:
  • For performance: Rolling resistance, aero drag (there should be an optimum for different road surfaces)
  • For comfort: spring rate and vibration transmission (usually lower is better)
  • For practicality: pinch flats are still possible (higher is better)

Cheers,
Damon
I think the answer to all of those (other than aero) is go tubeless :D

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Stueys wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:15 pm
I think the answer to all of those (other than aero) is go tubeless :D
Or tubular ;) (couldn't resist, sorry)
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

TiCass

by TiCass

I just don't get the fuzz about tubeless.

Still have to ride with sealant and a spare tube.
Still heavier than latex
Still worse rolling resistance than latex

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... s-clincher

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Let's not turn this into another tubeless thread, though :D
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

Hexsense

by Hexsense

DamonRinard wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Cheers,
Damon
I gear toward comfort on bad bumpy road. But i don't feel the lose of performance either.

on 21mm internal width,
23c front and 25c rear at 70-75psi. Difference in tire width already taken care of difference in weight balance.

I also have 23mm internal width rims,
25c front and 28c rear at 65psi.

I only get pinch flat once on the 23c hitting sharp 2-3cm tall road step.
It's been trouble less so far otherwise. At this kind of pressure, narrower rim wouldn't be stable enough on hard corner and feel squishy. But wide rim overcome it :beerchug:

Stueys

by Stueys

----deleted so as not to highjack thread------

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TiCass wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:45 pm
I just don't get the fuzz about tubeless.

Still have to ride with sealant and a spare tube.
Still heavier than latex
Still worse rolling resistance than latex

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... s-clincher
The whole deal with tubeless is riding with lower pressure. Not sure all of us have a need for such low pressures though!?
I guess the fastest way is still changing inner tube. Tubular IMO, is cool and ideal if you ride rim brake wheels.
But (atleast for me) it's crap if a puncture comes up.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

robeambro

by robeambro

Meanwhile, while lusting after bikes on Instagram (as you do), I found this post, which seems to suggest that Tour Magazine will have a face-off between the Systemsix and the Madone.. I wonder if they'll have similar findings to the review discussed earlier? Hopefully our German friends can help..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqH9omeHKKO/