2019 bike roll out jam

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Stitchking

by Stitchking

Given they gave the trek best in class handling, its still very much a race bike. Ive found compared to my s3 disc it is a lot less stable riding with no hands.

Much better on the descents and high speed corners though. Handles like its on rails at high speeds

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Wait, they say the Systemsix has max 25mm tires? Can't be if the Knot64 wheels themselves are like 30mm wide.
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

by Weenie

C36

by C36

mrlobber wrote:Wait, they say the Systemsix has max 25mm tires? Can't be if the Knot64 wheels themselves are like 30mm wide.
28mm as per iso norm. Meaning you still have 4mm each side

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

anykarthik

by anykarthik

The Madone also looks the best I'd say.

That said, I could never justify any of these top end bikes. The second tier ones (Ultegra Di2) though - that's where things get interesting. And I think in that tier, the Venge Pro is the better choice. For me, with a team discount, it was a no brainer. Also after 4 years of riding a Ridley Helium with an 80mm stem (frame too big), I'm used to a twitchy bike. The Venge actually feels *too* stable for me. I'm getting used to it though.

robeambro

by robeambro

What I found rather unexpected was the low comfort rating for the SystemSix. If you browse the thread here on ww (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... &start=495), the few people who got it are all very enthusiastic about the comfort..
Now, who's right?

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Build this today for a customer, it's an absolute thing of beauty.

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

^^^ Wow, stunning. Especially in that light.

I will say that the reviews seem to be spot on. Their assessment of the Venge is exactly my observation as well -- very quick handling, very light feeling, and quick/stiff everywhere it needs to be. A lively and competitive ride for experienced riders.

One thing I thought a bit interesting was the knock on the 'Dale SS for being overweight but no mention of the Trek's weight, which is nearly identical.

Still can't believe that BMC Timemachine Road and 'Velo S5 are in such late release. I feel like they may have missed a good opportunity by not releasing their 2019 models when everyone else did (i.e. right around the TDF). I for one was interested in both but eventually gave up waiting.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah the Trek is weighty but seemingly more than compensates for it in every department.

Including looks. Stunning bike there NoChain!

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

As pictured (with Ultegra R8000 pedals) the bike weighed 8.505g, quite weighty indeed.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

C36 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 pm
It’s an interactive web magazine, I have it on iPhone as “gran fondo”, not sure if exist on android.
Downloaded it, but comes up empty and doesn't do anything :evil: ..

Hmm, now working ... Oh well, it's friday ....

C36

by C36

robeambro wrote:What I found rather unexpected was the low comfort rating for the SystemSix. If you browse the thread here on ww (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... &start=495), the few people who got it are all very enthusiastic about the comfort..
Now, who's right?
Could tires be the cause? They mentioned Vittoria ones were quite bad (never ever understood how you can send a test bike with anything else than premium tires.

C36

by C36

MisterNoChain wrote:Build this today for a customer, it's an absolute thing of beauty.

They missed the opportunity to make the logo bigger, they could have stretched it two more cm...
Without the “small dick complex” logo it’s one of the most beautiful combos seen among 2019 new bikes

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

On the medium to smaller frames, the T and K do wrap around the head tube slightly. :p

e: Actually it seems there is some variance with decal or stencil placement from frame to frame...

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi mrlobber,

Must be something lost in translation. Many tires labelled "25C" will measure about 28 mm on the Cannondale's Knot64 rims' 21 mm inside width. As C36 points out, 28 mm (measured) is the max we can sell it with. To be sure of meeting the ISO's 4 mm gap, we design in a few extra millimeters clearance, for thicker paint (in some colors) or a slightly wobbly wheel or tire (as can sometimes happen).

By the way, unlike some other wheels, the Knot64's 32 mm rims (external width) make them perform quite well aerodynamically, even with different width tires. Here's an example:

As you've seen from the white paper, we measured the drag of several other brand bike models. In one case, two different model years of the same aero bike had different drag. The launch model year had very narrow tires and less drag; the current model year had medium-width tires and significantly higher drag. In contrast, the Cannondale had virtually the same low drag with both medium- and wider-width tires.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I think Cannondale should educate customer about lowering pressure for wide wheelset too.
25c on 15mm internal width and 25c on 21mm internal width require very different pressure.
Over inflating the 25c on 21mm (using pressure that suite for 25c on 15mm internal width) will kill comfort of any bike.

by Weenie