2019 bike roll out jam

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

spartan wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:20 pm
hope trump put a nice tariff on carbon frames from china no excuse for close down wisconsin production and they decide to increase the prices.
Oh yeah so bike prices will go even higher, that's smart

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

spartan wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:20 pm
hope trump put a nice tariff on carbon frames from china
Because you want the Venge to be more expensive too? :noidea:

C36

by C36

So what do we have?

BMC, they managed to release an integrated bike that look less integrated than stds one, really a terrible look.

Ridley, doesn’t look like a tank and give you the choice of you breaking system.

Cannondale, maybe the fastest but only discbrake available and with an aesthetic that I can’t stand (but that’s personal).

Trek, will likely remain in the top tier for aero, let you choose your breaking system, unique confort features and aesthetics are ok.

Specialized probably the nicest looking bike, want to see stiffness results and some test ride to see how it handles.

Price aside if I had to go for a bike that would be the trek. Or wait for a new canyon on some time...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

And

Willier with their new Cento10 Pro

https://www.wilier.com/en/products/int/road/cento10pro

chiltonp

by chiltonp

Why is WIlier going about replacing the Cento 10 Air so soon? The Cento 10 Pro looks very similar.....

indrek
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by indrek

Could somebody (with real inside info) comment on the idea someone posted previously that "big" brands are holding back in the aero development meaning they need "new features/designs" to come out every year to sell more bikes? That in fact they could make a significantly more aero bike already (they have the knowledge), but that would not be good for long term business? Or is this not happening and everyone is pushing hard and releasing everything the R&D departments come up? Just curious on how it works regarding the business side of the things and also wondering why some aero bikes look much more "engineered" than others...

pyrahna

by pyrahna

indrek wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:54 pm
Could somebody (with real inside info) comment on the idea someone posted previously that "big" brands are holding back in the aero development meaning they need "new features/designs" to come out every year to sell more bikes? That in fact they could make a significantly more aero bike already (they have the knowledge), but that would not be good for long term business? Or is this not happening and everyone is pushing hard and releasing everything the R&D departments come up? Just curious on how it works regarding the business side of the things and also wondering why some aero bikes look much more "engineered" than others...
This is the same logic as those people that swear 'big pharma' already has a cure for cancer. The goal of business is to make money, and to make it now. If you had a significantly better bike you could release now that was heads and shoulders above everyone else's you would release it and rake in the cash. Here is the hard thing for a lot of people to understand. Engineering is an evolutinary process. You make mistakes, you learn from those mistakes and you make it better. When you throw deadlines in there you go down a path, learn from the mistakes along the way and jot those lessons on a piece of paper for later, and release the best thing on your deadline you can. Then when the new deadline comes around for the next project you pull those slips of paper out and use those lessons learned to make something incrementally better. There is a great series in the Slowtwich forums about 'peak aero'. The fact of the matter is even with all these 'revolutionary' aero framesets being introduced...there only a little bit faster than the last generation. They might be better bikes (i.e. better handling, easier on the eyes, easier to wrench, lighter) but they will only be marginally faster. And we are talking about the frame which is faster...which is only a small part of the amount of drag when you take the rider into account. Do I lust after a new Venge...yup... will it make me a faster rider....only slightly.

Shrike

by Shrike

The UCI basically need to drop their tube shape rules if you want cycling design to become truly exciting again. What we had with the previous generation of aero bikes is pretty much where cycling is set for a long time to come.

Aero is fizzling out, you can tell by the marketing this time round. Gearing is the next battlefront.

wingguy

by wingguy

indrek wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:54 pm
Could somebody (with real inside info) comment on the idea someone posted previously that "big" brands are holding back in the aero development meaning they need "new features/designs" to come out every year to sell more bikes? That in fact they could make a significantly more aero bike already (they have the knowledge), but that would not be good for long term business? Or is this not happening and everyone is pushing hard and releasing everything the R&D departments come up?
Well, it's prima facie incorrect in that the big brands aren't releasing new aero bikes every year! Most major manufacturers are on a minimum 3 year product cycle, sometimes 4 or even 5. You can't launch something that you know isn't cutting edge now, and expect it to still compete in 2021.

It also assumes there is some benefit in holding onto research to use later. I don't see it. Aero design and testing is very expensive, so if you've done it you need to get a return on that investment. But, if you sit on the results for a couple of seasons then someone else will have already released something better, and you'll just end up spending on R&D all over again before you have a bike that stands up in the market.

guyc

by guyc

Essentially whoever said it was taking bollocks.

wingguy

by wingguy

mrlobber wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:47 pm
jlok wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 pm
I have seen screen capture of a document from distributor saying the S5 Disc will be in stock Oct 2018.
That's nice to hear, but lets Cervelo present it first, TdF starts today, and as far as I see, Dimension Data are still on standard S5 :evil: at least they could have leaked something, intentionally or not.
It seems like there's been some delay - I'm sure the plan was to have a new S5 at the Tour, and I'd bet that a lot of Cav's current grumpiness is to do with not having it right now :P

But, I happened to see today that Cervelo Europe just sold their entire remaining S5 stock to a couple of shops on bulk clearance, so a fairly close date for the new model sounds right.

Lugan

by Lugan

murph wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 am
Anyone know of the 2019 Teammachine bikes, are they the same as 2018 but different colours? saw from a picture from Europe of a black SLR01 module frame that looks nice - the current red/grey and black/grey combo colours arent my thing.
I happened to be at my local BMC dealer's shop today for different business, and a conversation led me to learn from them that there will be a new 2019 SLR01 announced next week that will include a new bar/stem combination and more tire clearance. Might be more details, but I didn't interrogate him.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

wingguy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:12 pm
But, I happened to see today that Cervelo Europe just sold their entire remaining S5 stock to a couple of shops on bulk clearance, so a fairly close date for the new model sounds right.
Yep, I noticed that several shops have launched discounts on the S5 which (maybe related to what you saw or maybe not) kinda implies the same.

Maybe Cervelo will ship the very first S5 Disc to France just in time for Cav to win @ Champs Elysees :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

stevey028

by stevey028

themidge wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:44 pm
dvq wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 pm
coriordan wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:11 pm
This been posted yet?

The new 2019 Basso Diamante. The best bike release of the week IMO.

https://www.bassobikes.com/bicycles/road/diamante-2019

More nice pics and a review here https://rideupgrades.co.uk/2018/07/05/n ... -diamante/

Ah nice to see that Basso still chose to release a disc brake version for those of us who neither want nor care for rim brake marketing forced down our throats. Love the headtube/stem lines on Basso bikes!
Is this a typo? I'm not sure I can handle the meta here if it isn't :D .

Edit: About the actual bike, I think it looks good, perhaps not quite as good as the previous one though. Although I think they failed a bit by not cutting the steerer flush with the super low stem (not as bad as 'annondale' though!).
Hmmm, would have to agree the lines on this are very nice and probably one of the better I've seen recently

stevey028

by stevey028

spartan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:42 am
this is PR failure. it seems the advertising for the cannondale aero bike is up even before the aero frame is lauched.

grabbed this from the cyclingtips website

it seems the did not bother to resize the downtube 'annondale'. f**** amateur hour. cannondale disaster. dorel needs to clean house. the trek madone slr is something special.
it will maintain best in class aero while addressing all the negatives of the first gen.

I think the PR has'nt been bad and the bike looks awesome and why would you resize the downtube anyway?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com