Cervelo R5 - disc vs rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewn777

by Lewn777

1. Random person starts thread. Disk brake vs rim brake for bike X by manufacturer Y? opinions wanted.
2. Someone expresses a preference for disk brake. Nothing much happens.
3. Someone expresses a preference for rim brake, but also how disk brakes have a place in the wet/CX/gravel etc.
4. MoPho or Tobin jump into thread with full 'Team America Tech Police' vengence froth how dare you say disk brakes aren't better!!

You do it EVERY TIME like clockwork predicatbility. You have a team on your side so you think it gives your argument more truth and relevance and more right to express it, but it doesn't.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Lewn777: There was a time when your arguments were actually sound and reasoned. But now you’re just as crazy and biased as Peewee (know you are but what am I) Mopho and Googlebot TobinHatesYou. You probably had more of a “team” than you think, just a quieter team. People can spot crazy on their own. They don’t need to be told who to watch for so that their “propaganda” can’t be spread, that goes for both sides. Let sound arguments stand on their own merit, both sides. But now you’re just as guilty as the two man tag “team” of Tobin and Mopho.
Cagefight perhaps.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Calnago wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:01 pm
@Lewn777: There was a time when your arguments were actually sound and reasoned. But now you’re just as crazy and biased as Peewee (know you are but what am I) Mopho and Googlebot TobinHatesYou. You probably had more of a “team” than you think, just a quieter team. People can spot crazy on their own. They don’t need to be told who to watch for so that their “propaganda” can’t be spread, that goes for both sides. Let sound arguments stand on their own merit, both sides. But now you’re just as guilty as the two man tag “team” of Tobin and Mopho.
Cagefight perhaps.
It's in my name. Yes I'm a bit unhinged, maybe overeacting to nonsense propaganda. The problem is they can't use reasoned arguments and resort to half-truths and borderline personal attacks all borne from a public need for reassurance that they've chosen the correct brake format, it's unbelievably childish.

I'll tone it down and stop reacting to their drivel and spend my time on threads that are constructive.

Thanks for the post, I needed it. :thumbup:

trinhxh

by trinhxh

cshong88 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:54 pm
Hi guys, would appreciate some third party input to help me decide on this next purchase. Cat 1, former UCI conti pro who has been a loyal Cervelo R5 rider for the past 5 years. In the market for a new Cervelo R5 and now having to consider for the first time whether or not to purchase a disc brake bike as this was never an option before. Some riding habits about myself.

1. Current/lifetime job (medicine) means 80% of riding is indoors on my Wahoo Kickr
2. Performance-oriented - goals of riding/training are still to go fast and if job permits, compete in local races and hill climbs in next couple years - as such wheel compatilibity in races (neutral support etc) is a factor for me. As a side note, I've been reading the rear 142mm axle is fast becoming the standard for discs. Supposedly the Cervelo R5 disc is a 135mm standard? Is this true? And if so, will this cause issues if I had a disc version for races?
3. Hard to predict but I'd like to have a bike that is in keeping with the times, both now and in the next couple years. Would be a bummer to invest in a rim bike and see the pro peloton and racing scene transition to disc brakes full time in the next year or so.

Ultimately, I anticipate buying another bike in 3-4 years but I want my next purchase to be performance oriented and in line with the standards of contemporary bike racing now and for the next few years. I know it's a hotly debated topic but any thoughts on rim vs disc for my situation? Thanks for all input, much appreciated.
@cschong88 So which did you end up buying?

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

trinhxh wrote:
cshong88 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:54 pm
Hi guys, would appreciate some third party input to help me decide on this next purchase. Cat 1, former UCI conti pro who has been a loyal Cervelo R5 rider for the past 5 years. In the market for a new Cervelo R5 and now having to consider for the first time whether or not to purchase a disc brake bike as this was never an option before. Some riding habits about myself.

1. Current/lifetime job (medicine) means 80% of riding is indoors on my Wahoo Kickr
2. Performance-oriented - goals of riding/training are still to go fast and if job permits, compete in local races and hill climbs in next couple years - as such wheel compatilibity in races (neutral support etc) is a factor for me. As a side note, I've been reading the rear 142mm axle is fast becoming the standard for discs. Supposedly the Cervelo R5 disc is a 135mm standard? Is this true? And if so, will this cause issues if I had a disc version for races?
3. Hard to predict but I'd like to have a bike that is in keeping with the times, both now and in the next couple years. Would be a bummer to invest in a rim bike and see the pro peloton and racing scene transition to disc brakes full time in the next year or so.

Ultimately, I anticipate buying another bike in 3-4 years but I want my next purchase to be performance oriented and in line with the standards of contemporary bike racing now and for the next few years. I know it's a hotly debated topic but any thoughts on rim vs disc for my situation? Thanks for all input, much appreciated.
@cschong88 So which did you end up buying?
If you haven't bought already, go rim. All of the research, design and analysis on the Cervelo R5 up to now has been around rim brakes. Maybe in a few years the more lively feeling of a rim R5 will also have the same feel in a disc R5. But yeah, what did you end up going with - Rim or Disc?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tomato

by tomato

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:48 am
I find it pretty funny how some people make up reasons to want a disk brake bike when it's totally uneccessary and are so utterly stubborn ignorant deaf and in denial to the huge amount of downsides. Not even shying awayfrom using ad-hominem attacks for their argument.
Bit of irony here ...

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

1. What a bump.

2. RIP Calnago. :(

3. I tested a stock R5 disc w/ Di2, DT-Swiss wheels a couple months ago. Tires were cushy 80~90psi. Main test up a 5mi/8% climb followed by technical descent then a bunch of rollers.

The front end was way too stiff, in a bad way. Either the fork, the wheels, or combo of everything... either way I really wanted to love it because I see some great deals on R5 disc NOS frame sets in my size and on paper I have a great build in mind. However, I had the exact same experience as the earlier posts stating the disc version of Cervelo R5's feel dead and harsh compared to rim... and I could not imagine myself riding it to justify the project. I was more excited to build than ride it, which I know are premonitions of a future divorce.

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

I bought a NOS 2019 R5 Rim 51 Black/Graphene frameset and should arrive tomorrow. Planning on building it 9100 Mechanical Gruppo 50x34 11-28/30 with a Rotor 3D+ crank and Inpower powermeter. Probably will go with some Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST wheels. And either a Cervelo or Zipp stem and bar with a Shimano Pro Stealth or S-Works Power saddle.

Just wondering what BB to go with? Cervelo makes a screw together BB and I have Wheels MFG one that has been solid on my CX bike. I hear Infinite one piece is good and Rotor makes a screw together BB as well. Any recommendations would be great.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Any of mentioned would do the job, aluminium one piece or threaded toghether. Changing the bearings in such bottom brackets is dead easy, so you can play with whatever the berings you want.
Personally I have Wheels mfg on my two frames (Cervelo). I would imagine that one piece bb would be more sensitive to bottom bracket shell's tolerances.

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

I'm leaning towards Wheels MFG. Which one do I need for the Rotor 3D+ crank...

This one?

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/b ... black.html

Or this one?

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/b ... black.html

1415chris

by 1415chris

Both would work.
First one has outboard bearing on drive side, so in this case you will not need a 11mm spacer to run 3D+. Maybe some thin spacers would be required (supplied with Wmfg bottom brackets) to adjust chain line.
I use the second one where two sides are flush with the frame shell.
Frankly I do not know which solution is better :)

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

That's what I thought. I might go with the second BB as well...decisions, decisions...thanks for feedback.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

yellowbear1021 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:30 pm
That's what I thought. I might go with the second BB as well...decisions, decisions...thanks for feedback.

A Cervelo rep recommended for me to go with the second one (angular) BB for my R5 Disk. Its been trouble free so far.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

1415chris

by 1415chris

I went for the angular bearings as my first choice, too. But frankly the bearings didn't last too long, simillary the bearings in oryginally mounted insert (plastic Rotor or Sram, don't remember). My suspicion is that the frame shell is a bit wonky. The other thing is that angular bearings require higher preload than norml ones, so it may increase the drag. I replaced them with NTN bearings and they are fine so far. With the second insert, having spare NTNs, I didn't bother to go for more fancy bearings than the standard, cheapest ones.
On the NTN bearings subject, it is shame that the certain source based in UK almost doubled their price over a year or so. Asking £29 for one bearing is outrageus, paying this money madness.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

C-Bear BBR-24-R if running Shimano cranks.

Thank me later.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com