Help me build a CAAD 12 disk

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hey guys, I just ordered a new 2017 Cannondale CAAD 12 disk, size 44cm, for my friend. She's tiny but very athletic. The frame/fork was on sale for $399 with no seatpost, no BB. I'm planning on building it with the new Hydro Shimano 105 series 7000 groupset (when available) and DT Swiss ER 1400 Spline 21mm aluminum wheels. The wheels are pretty light at 1475 grams and sell for around $700. Already have the cockpit, saddle, and seatpost. What do you think? Any suggestions? Thanks! My total budget is around $2-2.2K.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 2.22.32 PM.png
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

For $399 (or even 80% more) you won't find a better handling bike at that size. Totally go for it.

at the same price of your wheel choice, you could go for Light-bicycle wheels -- 36mm deep, 21mm internal width, 28mm external width instead at a bit less weight (built with Novatech hubs-- either straight pull or J-bend | 6 bolts or center lock rotor, your choice).
you are using disc so no real advantage to opt for alloy wheelset.

R7000 should be nice, but so does cable brake shifters plus Juin tech F1 (change the brake pad first).

Make sure you do not make any mistake in equipment sizing. Nothing harm small rider more than equipment that doesn't fit well.
-160mm crankset are available in Shimano 105 R7000. Even better than 165mm. Rotor have 155mm too if you want down size further.
-woman size 36cm to 38cm handle bar with compact drop.
-Shimano R7000 have a special shifter for small hands. It'd be nice to get one if it doesn't increase price too much.

Edit: typo: internal -> external .
Last edited by Hexsense on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 am
For $399 (or even 80% more) you won't find a better handling bike at that size. Totally go for it.

at the same price of your wheel choice, you could go for Light-bicycle wheels -- 36mm deep, 21mm internal width, 28mm internal width instead at a bit less weight (built with Novatech hubs-- either straight pull or J-bend | 6 bolts or center lock rotor, your choice).
you are using disc so no real advantage to opt for alloy wheelset.

R7000 should be nice, but so does cable brake shifters plus Juin tech F1 (change the brake pad first).

Make sure you do not make any mistake in equipment sizing. Nothing harm small rider more than equipment that doesn't fit well.
-160mm crankset are available in Shimano 105 R7000. Even better than 165mm. Rotor have 155mm too if you want down size further.
-woman size 36cm to 38cm handle bar with compact drop.
-Shimano R7000 have a special shifter for small hands. It'd be nice to get one if it doesn't increase price too much.
Wow some really useful info here. Thanks!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Another note:
I advised Juintech F1 as i assume the frame is flat mount, but looking at the picture it looks like a post mount which will need Juintech R1.
Also, frame looks to use quick release rather than thru-axle.

So when you buy frame and equipment, check and confirm these compatibility carefully.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:33 pm
Another note:
I advised Juintech F1 as i assume the frame is flat mount, but looking at the picture it looks like a post mount which will need Juintech R1.
Also, frame looks to use quick release rather than thru-axle.

So when you buy frame and equipment, check and confirm these compatibility carefully.
I'm lost here. Flat mount? R1?

dastott

by dastott

Fabulous price for that frameset, lovely color too. May I ask where you bought it?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Incycle in Southern California

dastott

by dastott

Thanks. They have some good deals on at the moment.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

There are multiple disc caliper and frame fitting standards.
Post mount or Flat mount.
For wheels to frame standard, it is Quick release or Thru Axle (and what size is the Thru Axle).
The trend for road bike is heading to 12x100 and 12x142 thru axle and flat mount calipers. So i assume yours too.
But in the picture, your frame use quick release, fork has post mount on it. That's why i said check compatibility carefully and buy the correct stuff that fit together.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DJT21

by DJT21

You will need one of these bottom brackets if you wish to use a Shimano chainset: https://wheelsmfg.com/bb30a-outboard-ab ... black.html

Road disc groupsets are only available with Flat Mount brake calipers. Your CAAD12 has a Flat Mount rear, but a Post Mount front. So, if you buy a Shimano disc groupset, you will need to swap the front brake caliper for a Shimano MTB (XT or similar) caliper which are available in Post Mount.

If you go for cable operated disc brakes (Juin Tech R1/TRP Spyre) then you won't need to swap calipers, you'll just need to buy a set of Post Mount calipers and then use a Post Mount to Flat Mount adapter for the rear. In this scenario, the only thing to be wary of is clearance between the caliper and the seat stay.

I also think you'll need a 25.4mm seatpost