SRM Eurobike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

http://www.srm.de/news/events/eurobike-2018/

Single ring and 5 bolt Origin PMs pictured... looks like they are slowly dropping everything for a universal model along with the pedals...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I'm guessing the 5 bolt pictured is track? Does make sense though, in another thread I noted that that they are currently only surrporting modular crankset options. So having Origin as their flagship, they will still provide bodies for other cranksets, but I doubt there will be another Shimano or Campagnolo option.

The Look pedal partnership is exciting, hoping to see the technology in a MTB pedal. Lots of current road pedal options, but nothing for MTB.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

You're probably right on the Shimano and Campagnolo options... I asked about the 12 spd Campagnolo option several weeks ago, and the response from SRM was that they had no plans to redesign it (but that may just be a standard answer, and then there it is) I doubt they do it though with the pedal system.. The Campagnolo teams on SRM will use the pedal system due to the change in the chainline which is in the crank itself, while the Shimano teams not using any other brand will be on the Origin with DA rings...P2Max is currently redesigning their Campy PM to support 12s. so that will leave P2Max as the only 12 spd crank base PM for Campy... wonder if the Shimano chainline will change when they deliver 12 throwing everything into a world of wallet hurt!!

TonyM

by TonyM

I also think that SRM is doing the right thing (in terms of business) having Shimano selling their own powermeter etc...
They could however have a Campagnolo offer as P2M is indeed the only reliable option.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

This is DC Rainmaker's product coverage list for Eurobike. Safe to say a lot is coming in the realm of data acquisition, though I think it's more smart trainers, computers and accessories rather than power meters.

June 26 release was the Kurt Kinetic stuff. Zzz.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

glam2deaf wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:21 pm

The Look pedal partnership is exciting, hoping to see the technology in a MTB pedal. Lots of current road pedal options, but nothing for MTB.
My guess is no MTB pedals from SRM due to the unique partnership between them and Look. Going MTB would basically require another partnership with Shimano, and clearly that relationship has soured in the past year. The next most popular MTB pedal system is what, Crank Bros at this point? I doubt they're interested. Also given the nature of MTB, pedals are probably not the best location for a PM. In spindle, on crank or spider remain the sensible choices.

Also consider this...all the road pedal options are Look KeO based or clones (minus the Vector 2 Ultegra spindle kit.) There is a huge amount of impedance on the MTB side due to the overwhelming popularity of SPD for clipless and the resurgence of flats for gravity riding.

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:30 am
I also think that SRM is doing the right thing (in terms of business) having Shimano selling their own powermeter etc...
They could however have a Campagnolo offer as P2M is indeed the only reliable option.

I think SRM realizes that as a smaller company than Shimano, it is more difficult to offer many SKUs, whether it's odd crank lengths or support for countless OEM crank options. This is why they have that insert on the Origin cranks that cover 170-175mm and currently don't offer 165-167.5mm options. This is also why they've entered the pedal market. With pedals there are only 3 possible SKUs (dual, single-leg, upgrade pedal.) Inventory control is crucial for them.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:11 am
Going MTB would basically require another partnership with Shimano, and clearly that relationship has soured in the past year.
I'm not really that familar with Look mtb pedals, are they just a Shimano licenced product?

I've only ever used Shimano MTB and never seen a reason to change.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

glam2deaf wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:44 am

I'm not really that familar with Look mtb pedals, are they just a Shimano licenced product?

I've only ever used Shimano MTB and never seen a reason to change.

Look previously used a similar cleat to Time's ATAC system, but I see now that they just started offering SPD-compatible pedals a few months ago. That is very interesting and would indeed open the door slightly to SRM MTB PM pedals. I still think it's a risky proposal for a customer due to the chance of pedal strikes, but it definitely is more of a possibility than I initially thought.

TonyM

by TonyM

I am not sure I would use a pedal based powermeter for MTB as the pedals just hit more often rocks etc.....

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

On the other hand, gravel and gravel racing is booming. SPD PMs would make a bit of sense for that.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Gravel and cross was actually my initial thought for a off road system. Pedal strike is a bit of a risk, they do seem pretty confident on the durability of their road pedal, I guess a mtb option will show just how confident they are.

TonyM

by TonyM

Yepp you are right, more adequate for gravel indeed.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

glam2deaf wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:21 am
Gravel and cross was actually my initial thought for a off road system. Pedal strike is a bit of a risk, they do seem pretty confident on the durability of their road pedal, I guess a mtb option will show just how confident they are.

I have two left KeO Blades that are almost new because even the softest crash on Blades will destroy the body. Now the Exakts are closer to the Max pedal body design, but they still have that winged platform and that wing always gets sheared off. If the wing shears off, the metal platform will also come off. The other PM pedal bodies have a better shape IMO. The Exakts really don't have any advantages over the Assiomas or Vector 3s. They are all close in weight. They are all going to be accurate. They all have low enough stack height. The Vectors provide Cycling Dynamics as a slight bonus and the Assiomas are very inexpensive. The Assiomas also specifically support non-round chainrings, something the Exakts probably won't ever support because they use magnets for cadence.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Accuracy is nice, but personally for me if I needed another powermeter (likely when cane creek make those eewings in a road version) I'm pretty loyal to SRM. I know there are cheaper options the perform just as well, but the consistent customer service I've had is awesome and enough to keep me loyal. They did have a location here in NZ, but shifted to AUS last year. So convienence was a factor too.

Also the AUS pricing was looking to be around $400 more that the Vector 3's, so not a huge jump to make mentally.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

SRM had posted pics of a track origin on Facebook a few months ago.

I'm not sure about the arm lengths though. I think they were still 170/172.5/175. A 165/167.5/170 would make a lot more sense for a track version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com