Sram Force GXP BB Play

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
hambini

by hambini

Your post has highlighted one of the reasons why I elected to stop making GXP bottom brackets. The length of the axle and specifically the 24mm can vary by quite a bit. If you have a slightly tight female taper and large male taper which is quite possible, you'll get play on the axle. As others have said the drive side is free floating.

I did a case study on youtube about GXP on a trek madone where I removed the need to make the non drive side fixed and also one of the czech cycling teams I supply ditched the fixed non drive side. They have them set up to behave more like Shimano units.

Hambini

by Weenie

foreigngreg

by foreigngreg

@alcatraz: It is a GXP BB, got the star-like dust cover on the nds. I am pretty confident by now that everything was set up right...

@Hambini: Right, I think in some cases the bearing itself has play (this is what happens to me as the tolerances are quite tight on the axle in my case (tight enough for play there to not be felt).

I now mounted an FSA spring-wave-washer on the ds, this has solved the play issue, they spin very freely (just as before) except without any noticable play. I think in this setup it is a very good system as it is not possible to exessively preload the bearings this way.

kyleFu

by kyleFu

protocol_droid wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 am
the other thing could also be that the washer.
HI John, thanks for your private messages and sorry for late reply as I just saw it, with the failure to reply directly on "private messages" page and have no access to your email, so I have a try to write you here, for more convenient contact may you write me email
? All the best.