dI2 Conversion for BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Hello,
I recently purchased a BMC Teammachine SLR01 TWO which comes with the Ultegra 8020 (Hydraulic/Mechanical) groupset. The bike is a size 51. I'm putting together all the parts needed to convert to Di2 because I want the cable-free look of the BMC with the ICS stem.

So far, I have the following parts:
1) R8070 STI shifters
2) 8050 front/rear derailleurs
3) RS910 Junction A box to be installed in the downtube of frame
4) 4-port Junction B for Bottom Bracket
5) EW-WU111 Dfly Wireless bluetooth transmitter
6) Battery BT-DN110 to be installed in the seat post
7) BMC di2 parts 301102 (di2 kit #8) and 213675 (plug kit)

I would like to start ordering the cables and I wanted to make sure that I've got everything covered. Is the following list correct?
-Junction B to Battery: 500mm
-Junction B to RD: 550mm
-Junction B to FD: 350mm
-Junction B to Dfly EW-WU111: 400mm
-Dfly EW-WU111 to Junction A RS910: 150mm
-Junction A RS910 to STI: 650mm
-STI to STI (380mm bars): 600mm

Additional Questions:
a) Will the Dfly EW-WU111 work well if it is located in an aluminum stem/handlebar? Or is it better to place it in the carbon frame?
b) Is it necessary to remove the bottom bracket to run the di2 wires and install the Junction B box? There's a plastic cover under the BB shell which I pressumably can use to access the wires/junction box.
c) Am I missing anything else?

Xywei

by Xywei

I just built my SLR 01 Disc, same size 51cm. I would use at least 600mm for B to battery since you need to add length for when pulling the post up and connect/disconnect it.
I used EW-JC130MM (Mine is 550/550/50mm) from A to STI, because I want to free the ports in the STI up for when I need climber/sprinter buttons, or clip-on aerobar buttons. But your setup works too, also saved money and grams.
I wrapped my EW-WU111 in some thin packing foam (for rattling) , have two shimano di2 cable clips on both end and put it in the down tube, bluetooth connection no problem.
You need to remove the bottom bracket, the plastic cover under the frame is for mechanical shifting.
Things I think you might missing:
Buy some EW-SD501 di2 wire clip to put on down tube di2 wires eliminates rattling
SM-BCR2 charger to charge your DN110 battery
Do you have shimano bleed kit? You need to re-bleed/adjust the hydraulic brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Xywei wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 pm
I just built my SLR 01 Disc, same size 51cm. I would use at least 600mm for B to battery since you need to add length for when pulling the post up and connect/disconnect it.
I used EW-JC130MM (Mine is 550/550/50mm) from A to STI, because I want to free the ports in the STI up for when I need climber/sprinter buttons, or clip-on aerobar buttons. But your setup works too, also saved money and grams.
I wrapped my EW-WU111 in some thin packing foam (for rattling) , have two shimano di2 cable clips on both end and put it in the down tube, bluetooth connection no problem.
You need to remove the bottom bracket, the plastic cover under the frame is for mechanical shifting.
Things I think you might missing:
Buy some EW-SD501 di2 wire clip to put on down tube di2 wires eliminates rattling
SM-BCR2 charger to charge your DN110 battery
Do you have shimano bleed kit? You need to re-bleed/adjust the hydraulic brakes.
Wow that you for the very helpful insight! Do you have any pictures of your setup?

I have a few follow up questions/comments:

-Good point about the seat post wire. I will take your advice and order a 600mm instead of 500mm.

-I wasn't sure if the EW-JC130MM (550/550/50mm) would be long enough to connect the junction A to the two STIs. I measured/estimated the length from the Junction A (in the downtube) through the ICS stem to the STIs to be 600mm and I didn't want to worry about having a di2 wire too short; this is why I decided to wire the Junction A to STI, then STI to STI. However, if you stay that it works with the EW-JC130MM Y wire then I think I'll go that route. This is because my bars do not have internal routing so I'd have to run the STI-STI wire under the stem and it might get in the way of any bar mounted accessories. Question: did you have any extra length of wire for your EW-JC130MM when connected this way?

-Did you connect your EW-WU111 Dfly between the Junction A and Junction B?

-I also purchased the charger and a Shimano bleed kit. I'll add the wire clips to my shopping list also.

Xywei

by Xywei

As I said just built it, so no proper bike photo yet, sorry for the sloppy shot, too lazy to get it off my trainer lol. But you can see my setup, mine is Dura ace with Quarq power meter, Enve aero handlebar.

If your handlebar has no internal routing, then more the reason to use EW-JC130MM, 550/550/50mm is the longest and more than long enough for our bikes. I can pull both the junction A and EW-WU111 out from downtube port. You can even put EW-WU111 between EW-JC130MM and the junction A to make it even longer. EW-WU111's position really doesn't matter, you can put it in between any two di2 wires/junctions, as long as they all connected, it will work.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Thanks again for your help. :beerchug: I placed my order now:
EW-SD50 150mm
EW-SD50 350mm
EW-SD50 400mm
EW-SD50 550mm
EW-SD50 600mm
EW-JC130MM (550/550/50)

I'm hoping that I don't need to remove/replace the bottom bracket, but in case you're right I've purchased a BB92-41B.

Once I get these pieces and my new ICS stem from BMC, I should be able to start the conversion : :D

bilwit

by bilwit

Xywei wrote:
the junction B box (with connected cables) can't squeeze through the axle hole?

Xywei

by Xywei

bilwit wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:00 pm
Xywei wrote:
the junction B box (with connected cables) can't squeeze through the axle hole?
I think you can with those two-piece pressfit bottom bracket, but those are rare now, both shimano and sram stocked ones have the whole axle connected and no opening to the inside of the frame.

bilwit

by bilwit

oh right..

iamraymond

by iamraymond

bilwit wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:22 am
oh right..
I got a response from BMC Technical Support who recommended that I remove the bottom bracket as well. Darn! I was really hoping that I didn't need to do that. I'm afraid of messing with the BB shell by hammering out the BB and then end up with creaking.

Also, interestingly when I asked them about the di2 wiring, this is what they recommend:
JC41 to EW-RS910: 1000mm EW-SD50
JC41 to RD: 700mm EW-SD50
JC41 to FD: 350mm EW-SD50
JC41 to Battery: 700mm EW-SD50
EW-RS910 to STIs: 150mm EW-SD50 + JC41 Internal Junction + 2x 700mm EW-SD50

I assume (and hoping!) that they've recommended these cables so that they can be ordered for any frame/stem/handlebar size. A 1000mm cable between the Junction A EW-RS910 to the Bottom Bracket is silly long for a 51cm frame.
Last edited by iamraymond on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Here’s an image they sent me
SLR01disc di2 routing
SLR01disc di2 routing

Xywei

by Xywei

iamraymond wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:48 pm
bilwit wrote:
oh right..
I got a response from BMC Technical Support who recommended that I remove the bottom bracket as well. Darn! I was really hoping that I didn't need to do that. I'm afraid of messing with the BB shell by hammering out the BB and then end up with creaking.

Also, interestingly when I asked them about the di2 wiring, this is what they recommend:

I assume (and hoping!) that they've recommended these cables so that they can be ordered for any frame/stem/handlebar size. A 1000mm cable between the Junction A EW-RS910 to the Bottom Bracket is silly long for a 51cm frame.
I would replace the BB anyway, those shimano BBs deform when pressed into the frame, not suitable for reuse. If you really have to resue, try those Enduro BB removal tool, a link to a demo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ZwdLRKPd8
Using an extra JC41 is the same, the Y splitter of JC130 is just more elegant solution, 3 less connection you have to make, 3 less possibility of disconnect/maulfunction.
The lengths you got before were good with enough leeway to pull JC41 out of bottom bracket and connect everything, I checked them all with mine. What they have recommended probably like you said it's a catch-all.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

New question: did you have to use some sort of plug to fix the battery to the seat post? Or is the battery held in simply by the foam in the seat post?

Xywei

by Xywei

iamraymond wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:01 pm
New question: did you have to use some sort of plug to fix the battery to the seat post? Or is the battery held in simply by the foam in the seat post?
There is an adpter comes with the frame.
It's in the rim version manual, use this link https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/fileadm ... _DE_FR.pdf
Also, the stem installation is in the roadmachine manual https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/fileadm ... ual_EN.pdf

bilwit

by bilwit

iamraymond wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:48 pm
bilwit wrote:
oh right..

Interesting.. maybe that's just the size they recommend for all sizes (you can't really be too long anyway, just more mess you have to tie up). For press fit BBs I would just take it to a shop and have them knock it out and then take it back to put back in. Mine's CeramicSpeed so tossing the thing wouldn't be very wise.. guess I'll hold back on the Di2 upgrade (my wallet will thank me later) :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com