dI2 Conversion for BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Xywei wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:48 pm

I would replace the BB anyway, those shimano BBs deform when pressed into the frame, not suitable for reuse. If you really have to resue, try those Enduro BB removal tool, a link to a demo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ZwdLRKPd8
Using an extra JC41 is the same, the Y splitter of JC130 is just more elegant solution, 3 less connection you have to make, 3 less possibility of disconnect/maulfunction.
The lengths you got before were good with enough leeway to pull JC41 out of bottom bracket and connect everything, I checked them all with mine. What they have recommended probably like you said it's a catch-all.
Nice tool this BRT-003!
Quite expensive however. Do you know of any similar but cheaper tool?
Or maybe I have to look at Ali

Xywei

by Xywei

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:51 pm
Xywei wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:48 pm

I would replace the BB anyway, those shimano BBs deform when pressed into the frame, not suitable for reuse. If you really have to resue, try those Enduro BB removal tool, a link to a demo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ZwdLRKPd8
Using an extra JC41 is the same, the Y splitter of JC130 is just more elegant solution, 3 less connection you have to make, 3 less possibility of disconnect/maulfunction.
The lengths you got before were good with enough leeway to pull JC41 out of bottom bracket and connect everything, I checked them all with mine. What they have recommended probably like you said it's a catch-all.
Nice tool this BRT-003!
Quite expensive however. Do you know of any similar but cheaper tool?
Or maybe I have to look at Ali
As far as I know, this is the only pressfit removal tool that doesn't involve hammering on the BB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I went to a few shops locally and they either refused to remove the BB for me, or did not have the time until late July for an appointment. I've ordered the tool to remove and install the BB, so I'll do it myself.

I've gotten the bicycle taken apart now and confirmed that there's no way to access the internal tubing except for the BB removed.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Wheelsmfg may have some tool for the job, not sure if it is this one
https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/bot ... r-set.html

ibloch

by ibloch

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:59 pm
Thanks again for your help. :beerchug: I placed my order now:
EW-SD50 150mm
EW-SD50 350mm
EW-SD50 400mm
EW-SD50 550mm
EW-SD50 600mm
EW-JC130MM (550/550/50)

I'm hoping that I don't need to remove/replace the bottom bracket, but in case you're right I've purchased a BB92-41B.

Once I get these pieces and my new ICS stem from BMC, I should be able to start the conversion : :D
I'm planning on building a BMC Roadmachine 01 (58 size frame) up myself and was was wondering whether your cable lengths, especially the EW-JC130mm, worked out for you well? I was wondering where you store the junction part of this Y-cable and are the 550 mm still long enough to reach all the way from Junction Box A?

Also where did you end up installing the EW-WU111 unit? Directly after the junction box A (going towards junction box b) or did you make use of the extra cable length towards the handlebar?

Thanks and lot and would be great to hear your experience. I will for sure help me in my endeavour.

jencvo

by jencvo

ibloch wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 pm
iamraymond wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:59 pm
Thanks again for your help. :beerchug: I placed my order now:
EW-SD50 150mm
EW-SD50 350mm
EW-SD50 400mm
EW-SD50 550mm
EW-SD50 600mm
EW-JC130MM (550/550/50)

I'm hoping that I don't need to remove/replace the bottom bracket, but in case you're right I've purchased a BB92-41B.

Once I get these pieces and my new ICS stem from BMC, I should be able to start the conversion : :D
I'm planning on building a BMC Roadmachine 01 (58 size frame) up myself and was was wondering whether your cable lengths, especially the EW-JC130mm, worked out for you well? I was wondering where you store the junction part of this Y-cable and are the 550 mm still long enough to reach all the way from Junction Box A?

Also where did you end up installing the EW-WU111 unit? Directly after the junction box A (going towards junction box b) or did you make use of the extra cable length towards the handlebar?

Thanks and lot and would be great to hear your experience. I will for sure help me in my endeavour.
I don't have a BMC but that shouldn't matter for your EW-WU111 question. I purchased a short 150mm wire and connected EW-WU111 between the long wire coming from the cockpit and junction box B, placing it neatly in the downtube just about the BB shell. Works like a charm, no problems with connectivity or anything ever.

ibloch

by ibloch

Thanks jencvo. I am aware of that, but thanks for your answer. The question is more targeted towards the specifics of the BMC roadmachine 01 Integrated Cockpit System (ICS) and its hard to find more detailed information on the how to mount things and what components work best, given some of the space restrictions of the BMC system.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

@ibloch,

I was skeptical that the EW-JC130 would work (I thought it would be too short), but I trusted Xywei's recommendation. I have the two 550mm ends of the EW-JC130 connected to my STIs, and the 50mm end connected to the EW-RS910. The 50mm end and Y-part of the EW-JC130mm is in the headtube.

I have the EW-WU111 in the downtube between the Junction B and the RS910 in the frame. The Junction B is in the downtube above the BB shell.

Here are the lengths I used:
Junction B to battery: 600mm
Junction B to RD: 550mm
Junction B to FD: 350mm
Junction B to EW-WU111: 400mm
EW-WU111: to Junction A: 150mm

I am running 42cm bars, a 90mm stem and a 51cm frame; your cable lengths may differ with a 58cm frame.

The only cable I find to be a bit short is the 550mm between the Junction B and the RD. I'd go with a 600mm if I had do it again, but it works fine as is.

On page 1, you can see an image of the official BMC way of routing the di2 cables. Instead of a EW-JC130, they recommend using three EW-SD50s and one JC41. Also, BMC recommended cable lengths which are longer than what I've used.

Good luck with your build. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

ibloch

by ibloch

Thanks @iamraymond. Will try this out and post how things worked put once i start with the build. Just in the proces of ordering all parts. ...

gurk700

by gurk700

Sorry to revive old thread but I'm doing the same for my RM02 and hit a road block.

I've removed / installed a dozen BB with other bike and never had an issue like this.

The rear brake housing is blocking my BB's path. I have enough slack to move it around etc but no matter what I do it's in the way. How do I get around this?
I'm using DuraAce 9100 PF 86 type BB for reference.

Thanks in advance.

ibloch

by ibloch

@gurk700: I have not gotten to pressfitting the bottom bracket yet, but had been wondering the same. Here is a picture how this looks in my case. I was hoping that the BB shell would simply press cables out of the way...

How does it look in your case? Does anybody else have experience with this?

BTW: the frame I am installing on is a BMC SLR01 2019 Roadmachine frame.
IMG_0057.jpg

moyboy

by moyboy

the shell will move the cables out of the way. if there were no shell then the spindle of the crank will wear away at the di2 cables.

DA PF bottom bracket is fine. Some of the BB30 frames come with a plastic sleeve to protect internal cables from wearing out.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I responded in the other thread that I didn't encounter this issue when I installed the BB into my frame. However, my bike was setup from the BMC factory or bike store so the hydraulic hoses were already neatly installed on the frame.

I also used the DuraAce Pressfit BB on my frame with the sleeve. I read in the other thread that people used PF BBs without the sleeve, but that's just asking for trouble...I have the di2 wires routed over the spindle and even with the di2 wire holders in place there's still a risk that the wires move within the frame and start rubbing the wires against the spindle. The hydraulic hoses are routed under the spindle.

Could you push the di2 wires/hydraulic hoses out of the way while you install the BB + sleeves in the frame?

benstade

by benstade

Hi Raymond, congrats to your great build! I am still using the normal ultegra group, thinking about upgrading at the moment, but have to admit that i am not much of a mechanic...and it sounds rather complicated. As you have a lot of experience with the BMC, which bikelight do you use? I was thinking abput using something with a gopro mount. Do you have any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com