Tips for tuning my Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan512

by Dan512

Hi!

After having been away from biking for a few years, I took it up again a few months back.

But my body is no longer up to riding my pimped out 6,5 kg Canyon Team Unibet Pro frame with Lighweights (weight for an XL frame with power meter and pedals :) ), so I decided to sell it and ordered a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 Disc with Di2.

Now this is obvisously going to be a lot heavier than my previous ride, but once a WW always a WW.

So what would be your tips to get the weight down a bit? Here is a link to my new ride: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-pro-0

Cheers!

Dan

tomee

by tomee

JP website ahs that listed as 7.9kg for a Medium which isnt too bad.

those wheels are the lightest ones Giant i think. you could swap out for aftermarket but depends on your budget.
Could probably get a little weight off by changing handlebars, schwalbe pro one tyres and saddle

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Good looking bike OP! I was very close to picking one up myself but ended up going the TCR AP0 route.
tomee wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:05 am
JP website ahs that listed as 7.9kg for a Medium which isnt too bad.

those wheels are the lightest ones Giant i think. you could swap out for aftermarket but depends on your budget.
Could probably get a little weight off by changing handlebars, schwalbe pro one tyres and saddle
Giant does have one option for lighter wheels - SLR 0. They'll save you about 100g over the stock SLR 1's. While I haven't made any changes to my bike just yet I'll probably start with the stem and bars since, at least for now, I'm happy with the wheels. To my knowledge...

Contact SL Stem = +/- 150g (though I've seen weights posted as high as 195g on other sites but can't find the link)
Contact SL Bars = 270g
Contact SL Saddle = 210g
Gavia AC 1 Tires = 330g

There should be room for improvements in there somewhere!

Hope that helps, because hell, souricng those links to confirm some of the weights certainly got the wheels turning in my head about how to put the TCR on a diet when the time comes, so, thanks! :mrgreen: Keep us (/me) posted if you start changing some things, especially if you swap the stem because I'd be very interested to see what you go with that will fit the 1 1/4" steer tube.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I have the TCR Pro in the same spec. I’ve changed the saddle and bars (rotundo LTD with 60% off RRP).
I’ve changed to lighter through axles, TI bolts on the stem. Carbon headset spacers. Lighter 1.25 fork bung from J&L on eBay.
I’ve also changed the seat clamp hardware.
Carbon cradle, TI bolts and 2x CNC hooks rather than the overbuilt giant clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan512

by Dan512

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:22 pm
I have the TCR Pro in the same spec. I’ve changed the saddle and bars (rotundo LTD with 60% off RRP).
I’ve changed to lighter through axles, TI bolts on the stem. Carbon headset spacers. Lighter 1.25 fork bung from J&L on eBay.

Could you post a photo of your seat clamp hardware. Where did you source the parts?

Thanks!

Dan512

by Dan512

amngwlvs wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:10 pm
Giant does have one option for lighter wheels - SLR 0. They'll save you about 100g over the stock SLR 1's. While I haven't made any changes to my bike just yet I'll probably start with the stem and bars since, at least for now, I'm happy with the wheels. To my knowledge...

Contact SL Stem = +/- 150g (though I've seen weights posted as high as 195g on other sites but can't find the link)
Contact SL Bars = 270g
Contact SL Saddle = 210g
Gavia AC 1 Tires = 330g

There should be room for improvements in there somewhere!

Hope that helps, because hell, souricng those links to confirm some of the weights certainly got the wheels turning in my head about how to put the TCR on a diet when the time comes, so, thanks! :mrgreen: Keep us (/me) posted if you start changing some things, especially if you swap the stem because I'd be very interested to see what you go with that will fit the 1 1/4" steer tube.
That sure helps.

Don't think I'm going to touch the wheels right now. But a bar and stem would be a start. Have to look into finding a lighter 1 1/4 steerer clamp stem, not sure there are many around.

hannawald

by hannawald

it seems that you should start with the tyres.. 330g for 700x25 tyre is terrible.. if you want tubeless, Hutchinson Fusion 5 11 Storm Galactik should be 240g at 25mm. Pretty good rolling resistance. You can try also Mavic tubeless version, it is made by Hutchinson, very similar or same..

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Dan512 wrote:
tarmackev wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Could you post a photo of your seat clamp hardware. Where did you source the parts?

Thanks!
Apologies I have the TCR with a different seatpost.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Dan512 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am
That sure helps.

Don't think I'm going to touch the wheels right now. But a bar and stem would be a start. Have to look into finding a lighter 1 1/4 steerer clamp stem, not sure there are many around.
Nah, I'm in the same boat. I think there are other, cheaper, ways to lower the weight by a comparable amount. Stem will probably be my first step because I want to get something a little longer (110mm) anyways. Bars will follow that and when it's time to replace, tires. If I end up replacing the wheels down the road it will likely be for some 50mm's over something lighter.
2013 Trek 520

Dan512

by Dan512

amngwlvs wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:04 pm
Dan512 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am
That sure helps.

Nah, I'm in the same boat. I think there are other, cheaper, ways to lower the weight by a comparable amount. Stem will probably be my first step because I want to get something a little longer (110mm) anyways. Bars will follow that and when it's time to replace, tires. If I end up replacing the wheels down the road it will likely be for some 50mm's over something lighter.
Keep me posted if you find a light stem that fits. I’ve only found the Giant SLR one so far and it is rather pricy.

hannawald

by hannawald

if the stem is around 150g, you will not find something significantly lighter.. maybe look at other things, change stem when you are after small improvements.. Foil stem is about the same weight, Canyon stem as well.. Ritchey Superlogic is probably 20g lighter.. but being carbon, you will pay a lot for that..

TonyM

by TonyM

I was on the same boat with a BMC RoadMachine 02 ONE with Ultegra Di2 Disc etc...

I ended up changing everything except the frame and the proprietary seat post. So Dura Ace Di2 instead of Ultegra Di2 (-500g), new cockpit Pro Vibe carbon, DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut 47 DB (-300g compared to the stock 3T sheels), etc......Nice but quite an expensive upgrade.... :P

Dan512

by Dan512

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:38 am
I was on the same boat with a BMC RoadMachine 02 ONE with Ultegra Di2 Disc etc...

I ended up changing everything except the frame and the proprietary seat post. So Dura Ace Di2 instead of Ultegra Di2 (-500g), new cockpit Pro Vibe carbon, DT Swiss ERC 1100 Dicut 47 DB (-300g compared to the stock 3T sheels), etc......Nice but quite an expensive upgrade.... :P
I don't think I will go that far. But isn't "that far" where it always starts 8)

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Dan512 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 pm
Keep me posted if you find a light stem that fits. I’ve only found the Giant SLR one so far and it is rather pricy.
The two I've been eyeing so far are the Zipp Service Sourse SL-OS and the PRO Vibe Alloy. Would definitely be interested in other options though. I'd ideally like to get a matching cockpit so inevitably bar options will probably also influence stem choice for me.
Dan512 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:05 am
I don't think I will go that far. But isn't "that far" where it always starts 8)
"That far" is always where it starts! I said the same thing the day I bought my car (and I did well until my warranty ran out); then it was "Ok, just an intake" ...and it hasn't ever been "finished" since.
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan512

by Dan512

amngwlvs wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm

"That far" is always where it starts! I said the same thing the day I bought my car (and I did well until my warranty ran out); then it was "Ok, just an intake" ...and it hasn't ever been "finished" since.
Oh boy, don‘t even get me started on cars :)