Ordering A Helmet From Europe For The Lower Weight? CPSC vs. EN-1078 regulations.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I tried MIPS for awhile mainly because it was the newest available technology and all when I was looking for a new helmet, but didn’t really like it over the regular Synthe. The regular Synthe saved my skull once for sure and I replaced it with same. Still have the MIPS Synthe but never use it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I only take MIPS into consideration if it’s carefully integrated and competitively priced vs non-MIPS helmets. On a helmet like the Synthe it’s still using a thin plastic sheath, but in the Vanquish and Bell Z20 MIPS is completely integrated with the fit system. Neither of those helmets come in non-MIPS versions, but both are around what I’d expect to pay for high-end helmets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

By the way, Virginia Tech partnered with IIHS to test 30 helmets using their own model derived from impact studies in other sports. They seem to be very high on MIPS and other technologies that reduce rotational acceleration.

https://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/bicycle- ... tings.html

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MIPS messes with my hair. Case closed.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

All of the below have MIPS. The Bontrager has the style that messes with / pulls hair. The Vanquish and the Bell don’t. Giro/Bell’s implementations are highly evolved and integrate seamlessly into the fit system.
Attachments
6Cxali0.jpg
DdO8r9Q.jpg
yTgmsuv.jpg
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No no... I’m not talking about hair pulling. It just simply musses up my hair. :)