Seatposts: Darimo vs. Schmolke vs. Mcfk.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Pics or it doesn't exist!

refthimos

by refthimos

Edited to add. Some good stuff in already and more on the way. Should make for a decent build thread.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Problem is with those top clamps. MCFK and Bike Ahead uses version allowing a much larger range of movement, even using 0 offset.
Bike Ahead also uses NSA tech, which permits lower clamping force and zero creaking (+ no need for carbon paste)
Don't you guys also consider weight limit aka durability.

I have a really light post, Ax Lightness Premium, but the topper design sadly limits saddle movement.

My next try is Bike Ahead TheSeatpost Offset (15mm)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by 573

75.4g for an offset Darimo in 3k finish.

Has moved the game on from Scmolke, Mcfk etc IMO.

Looks great too.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

573 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am
75.4g for an offset Darimo in 3k finish.
Nice! Your evo has a 27.2mm seatpost right? How much is inside the frame?

by 573

Yeah it's a 2013 frame so 27.2mm.

I can't remember exactly how much is in the frame but I sent Darimo exact saddle height measurements and he made the post exactly the correct length with the correct amount of reinforcement etc in the clamping area. It's that bespoke nature that sets it apart from the other contenders IMO.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Darimo all the way. I also agree that thry have moved the bar.

I use the zero offset seatpost for my road and xc bike. No issues with saveid or berk saddles. I love the clamp mechanism. The only limitation i see is that the clamping area is wide, so if your saddle has very short rails, adjustment may become limited. I had a short 25$ china ebay saddle that suffered this issue, but the lupina was perfect. Also, i presume if one had a very set back seat tube angle, and you wanted a very agressive nose down position, you might want to request a longer titanium shaft (what the bolts anchor to) as angles cann become limited. It always met my needs, but be mindful.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I need small offset. I need it to move my ISM saddle. I hope a 15mm offset (Bike Ahead) also permits me to use short nose saddles in general.
My frame has quite good setback (181mm). Only thing is as mentioned, those upper clamps limits the rail movement (Darimo, Schmolke, Ax Lightness, New Ultimate etc.
MCFK has copied Syntace (best clamping range of all) and Bike Ahead have something very similar.
Most other light weight seatposts leaves me right on the weight limit (85Kgs). I don't want to do that.
I set out for 95-120 Kgs weight limit now (seatpost, stem, handlebar, wheels and frameset).
Already experienced cracked seat mast tube with super light weight seatpost.
You never get a company selling a light seatpost to reimburse you for a damaged frameset.
Or a stem making steer or handlebar crack. I've been here to, no thanks, not again!

But sure, for weight only, Darimo sure hammer Schmolke which is way too expensive.

Syntace is +120 g ca compared to Bike Ahead. Bike Ahead also have NSA future on clamping zones.
Their handlebar also have this. No need for slipping or creaks even though you use lower clamping force.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Light always comes with limits. Intended use is also a big factor.

My 31.6mm darimo post for my xc bike is solid!!! 90kg downhill... maybe there are better choices, but you can order reinforced versions to suit riders/conditions.

My 27mm darimo post for my road bike... perfect for me, but too much flex when my heavier buddy tried it. great with an oval railed berk lupina... but the round railed lupina i tried first was too flexy in the rails, so i swapped with berk for oval.

Light parts are light. Choose appropriate for your use/weight. Talk to darimo if you are worried. He customizes anything at request.

I am 130lbs, so i can get away with a lot. ;-)
I am not worried about the parts integrity, but make sure you use a torque wrench, carbon paste, and verify the accuracy of the wrench.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yes, i was about 65Kgs a few years (5 i think) ago,... but now i'm like 83-85Kgs (185Ibs).
It's amazing how it affects the feel of a frame, wheels and components stiffness.
Actually things that felt stiff when i was light, feels less so now.
Not totally bad, it adds comfort.
When i pedal in my trainer i can really see when the seatpost flex. This got me a bit worried.
I also have quite alot of saddles and tried a new one today. What makes me crazy is that with some saddles a 0 offset post is fine, while for example ISM are extreme and requires alot more setback. My frame has 181mm setback (reach is one way, the lenght to rear i call setback).
I rode Selle Italia SP-01 Boost today with my new Bike Ahead seatpost (15mm offset).
It's just on the hair that i can use the new seatpost.
Amazing saddle though!
Also used SQ Labs One12 bibs a few days. I am completely sold on these.

Weight of the rider surely affect things to a degree i didn't think of. Now i reconsider some things when it comes down to weight. I don't like to be at the very end of the scale of what is recommended.

BTW, Bike Ahead The seatpost offset, 300mm lenght, 27.2mm frame was 128g
Selle Italia SP-01 Boost Ti316 rail, size S3 was 193g.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Another good general reminder is that “heavier does not equal stronger.”

To oversimplify, we have very light, very strong/rigid, very expensive high modulus carbon fibre. On the other end we have cheaper, very flexy carbon fibre. In between we have infinate mixes of both.

If you want cheap and rigid, you use lots of low modulus carbon. You make up for regidity with volume (heavy). If you want super light you go high modulus, and use less of it. Many are a combo (frames with lateral stiffness, and vertical complience). Fibre weave/direction is also key.

The trick is to avoid the carbon parts that manage to be moderatoy light, using poor design (translation: mass production that optomizes cost not integrity) and/or cheap flexy carbon (they use the cheap flexy carbon, and less of it) A buddy got a salsa carbon mtb bar... and it was 160g (not bad) but it had unacceptable flex. Garbage.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yes ofcourse you can build "safe" stuff looking at least possible issues.
I have asked G.Vroomen, Nils (Ax), Jure (Berk) etc etc quite a bit to get a better picture of things.

What i find a bit interesting is that we tend to look at what frames are made of (carbon weave etc), but i seldom hear people ask what their stems and bars are made from. I guess it's same with rims and seatposts.
Anyway, i know Bike Ahead have made components and according some also frames for another brand.
So my guess is that they know what they're doing.
Another gripe is finding a handlebar with low ramp angle, 75mm reach and a compact drop.
That is quite hard to find :-(
Next is to see if i can persuade Ax or Darimo to do -12 stems.
At the moment, only light weight -12 stem is Extralite.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I would LOVE to see more light weight -10 and -12 stems on the market!

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Imaking20 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 pm
I would LOVE to see more light weight -10 and -12 stems on the market!
I use wren (road bike, xc, fat bike). Aluminum, maybe 10g heavier than extralite for a given size, and 60$.

The trouble with light stems is how mission critical they are. They need to support huge weights/forces, and resist torque forces on many different plains. Plus, they need enough clamping surface area to not bite into our carbon bars and steerers. It is a lot of ask.

It would be interesting to see what could be done with high modulus carbon... but i would worry about the risk of cracks.

I think the future of light stems is the bar/stem all in one. I am sure schmolke, darimo, ax, etc could save some serious grams here. Cost would be out of this world though... and you better know your measurements.

It would be a hard sell when a darimo and wren combo, for example, can get you almost all the way there at a far lower cost (not that darimo is cheap, but it is a good falue per gram compared to competition), with far more adjustability. What is 10-20g worth? Performance wise... nothing.

Someone undercutting the bontragger xxx by 30-40g would make for a great dentist’s bike though... ;-)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Or coffee bike! I know a guy building a pretty silly one...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com