Seatposts: Darimo vs. Schmolke vs. Mcfk.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tabl10s

by tabl10s

How do they rank in all aspects?
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kazyole

by Kazyole

I haven't owned all of them, but I have a Darimo in 27.2x280. They were a pleasure to deal with. I was in between sizes so they made a half-length for me (280mm instead of 250 or 300). Did a glossy 3K post with black decals and it's a great looking, functional post. Weight came in at 71.6g, which at least according to fairwheel is lighter than the TLO in 27.2x250, which they quote at 80g. A lot cheaper than Schmolke as well. And MCFK in 27.2x320 is 126g per their website. So longer, but not really close weight-wise.

I don't have a ton of miles on my darimo yet but I did have a 200 mile ride on it the other weekend and it was fine. I would say probably slightly more compliant than my previous 3T LTD Stylus at twice the weight of the Darimo. No complaints from me.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Used MCFK and AX lightness (more recently).. both over 100g+. Using a Darimo T1 now (70.7g) at 31.6x250. Cant say I feel a big difference either way but dropping roughly 40g is a plus. I've only had it for a few weeks.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

C36

by C36

Used mckf, enve (not schmolke) and now Darimo, simple the Darimo is cheaper, lighter and more customisable... (could add more confortable but that’s a bit of a long shot since I had to use the Cannondale Save in between)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

hannawald

by hannawald

how is the life with these lightweight seatposts like Darimo? I am a bit afraid of the clamping mechanism relying on 2 long titanium screws.. i need zero setback seatpost, light will be great but doesn't have to come at the cost of necessity of regular maintanance (checking torque), issues with creaking, special installation requiring loctite etc..
thanks

sungod

by sungod

not tried the darimo, but the ti bolts cradle/clamp principle looks similar to ax europa, I never had a problem with bolts/clamp in many years all weather riding, though i always put a bit of threadlock on as on very rough surface i once had the vibration loosen a bolt

one comment about the zero setback post, at least with the ax europa there is easy water ingress at the top of the post, so if you ride all weather the bb shell will get pretty wet in there, with bb30 bearings they get exposed to it

as my set-up was on the margin of zero-setback/setback post, a few years ago i switched to ax daedalus which does't let the water in

hannawald

by hannawald

thanks for the note about hole in the seatpost, i didn't realize that.. thinking also about Ritchey Superlogic, which is 145g and with reversible seat clamp it should be able to be 5mm setback.. but i don't like Ritchey branding and it is not easy for me to get rid of it, i don't want to sand the seatpost and put new paint..

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Rode mcfk setback - one was 109g, the other was 112g. No issues with those. Also have a darimo zero setback at 78.4g. I've never had an issue w/ ti bolts, the carbon cradles on the darimo are more worrisome to me. FYI, the newer mcfk posts are expensive and much heavier. I wouldn't waste my money on those piggies. Never ridden on a schmolke seatpost. To me they're way too expensive for a post but if they're anything like their handlebars, they shold be top notch.
Speedplay is the devil!

hannawald

by hannawald

mcfk has "normal" style clamp and look very nice in real, but you are right that at more than 130g it is hard to justify the price. i think it will be the nicest on the bike as Darimo/Schmolke without setback look good only on bikes with simple shaped tubes.. it somehow doesn't match bikes with modern aero shapes..

mag

by mag

There's also a Darimo T2 SB wit 25mm setback: http://darimo.eu/en/darimo-t2-sb-seatpost

refthimos

by refthimos

I’m replacing the 20mm setback Zipp SL Speed seatpost for my in-process WW EVO build, so needed a setback post. I have a Darimo T2 SB on order, went custom 280mm, will report on weight when it arrives. From photos at least, it’s by far the best looking WW setback seatpost available. Other setback posts, like the Daedalus, look pretty clunky compared to the Darimo IMHO.
Last edited by refthimos on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

C36

by C36

hannawald wrote:how is the life with these lightweight seatposts like Darimo? I am a bit afraid of the clamping mechanism relying on 2 long titanium screws.. i need zero setback seatpost, light will be great but doesn't have to come at the cost of necessity of regular maintanance (checking torque), issues with creaking, special installation requiring loctite etc..
thanks
Not sure what you should be afraid of, i changed saddle position 4-5 times over last 2 months (changed saddle, and adjust position) and had zero problems or clamping or creaking. The only thing I did was tightening the screw to “just below 4Nm”, rock the saddle a bit to balance the clamping forces and tight to same torque again, repeated this a second time and zero problems.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

PrinceEdward

by PrinceEdward

Berk seat post..... But not optimum
received_742347755971438.jpeg
我從使用 Tapatalk 的 Pixel 發送

hannawald

by hannawald

i don't see seat post on their websites.. how did you get it? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

refthimos wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:17 pm
I have a Darimo T2 SB on order, went custom 280mm, will report on weight when it arrives.

92.6g as weighed by Darimo and indicated on the tag, 92.6g on my scale. Looks great!

[Sorry for all the edits, was using this post to figure out image posting]
Last edited by refthimos on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast